Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Making rainy on rain-like enviroment with original staff

I make a megaWAD with Boom format levels. I plan a level called "The Storm", which is a dark forest in the middle of an acid rain.

But I don't know, how to make rain or rain-like effects? Because I don't want to add anything new.

Could you help me?

Katamori said:

But I don't know, how to make rain or rain-like effects? Because I don't want to add anything new.

You can't. The end.

Okay, you could imagine something with dehacked and custom sprites so that you have "falling rain" things that you can spam all over the map.

I know, I saw falling raindrops in Thomas van der Velden's Revolution!, but I don't want to steal that

I think, my problem it's not impossible

I was a bit bored so I created an example wad with new rain textures (N_WDRP rain drops were just too big), without the splashes, so that they can be used similarly to Crucified Dreams MAP99 snow. ANIMATED lump is included. I also added a 32% translucency effect to the linedefs (using a TRANMAP lump), so that it looks more like proper rain.

[DOWNLOAD]

I was gonna point out the rain textures in TVR, but the above examples may cover the same thing.

I often curse my familiarity with the doom engine, I see these things, and think "Hey, some transparent textures wioth raindrops on them" instead of thinking "neat, rain in Doom!"

Katamori said:

I know, I saw falling raindrops in Thomas van der Velden's Revolution!, but I don't want to steal that

There is only a handful of wads that actually borrowed that idea. I don't think it would be anywhere near overused if you did it as well.

Then it will be impossible to create a convincing rain effect.

Why do you limit yourself to Doom 2 textures only? It is just a couple of 128 × 32 pixel patches and a couple of additional lumps so file size is really not an issue.

My advice would be to either do it properly (new sprites or textures - whichever you prefer) or to just forget about it (which would be a shame because it is a good idea).

Katamori said:

I want to improve my mapping ability to become a good (and maybe famous) mapper.

(here's my work: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=52653)

I hate to say it but limiting yourself will DO NO good when you can add something that has a reason to exist and has an use. Whether it is aesthetics or gameplay. Don't be so close-minded.

I disagree, I think it's a valuable exercise to create limitations for yourself. However, in this scenario where you want to have rain using resources strictly from a game that never featured rain.. tough luck.

Could the TEXTUREx lump put together health vials for huge raindrops in a texture? I'm not sure of other sprites or patches that would be the correct size.

But yeah, if you want to put rain effects in your map, just add in some new textures, it's not going to keep you from improving you mapping.

My best suggestion is to do whatever you can to leave the map's features to the imagination. I'm not really sure the best way to hint to the player that it is raining outside other than to make the outdoors dark and/or apply the sector effect 17 (Light flickers randomly) to all the sectors that have sky for a ceiling to feel like lightning. You would have to merge or join a lot of sectors so that the lightning effects coincide with each other though.