Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Have you ever turned back on Doom E2M1 start?

I played Doom firstly, when I was 9 years old. Since I played and played this fantastic game much times. But...

On E2M1, when you turn back, you can see the sky. This is it. I've never know that. Just a some days ago, when I played...

Due to that, and cause I fear that game previously, I've never seen the Deimos sky texture, when I played as child.

And you? Or only I was the only person? lol

After turning around at the start of each episode 1 map and seeing all those dastardly door textures, I wasn't just astonished at the sight of a sky in episode 2, I was absolutely flabbergasted.

Just don't step over onto the other side of that wall, for to do so and then turn around again will shatter your world...

Are you the only one? Probably, at least in respect to people who played the game more than once or twice :p

Each episode starts differently. The first has a door behind you, which you likely just crossed from the hangar proper, the second a window from where you must have jumped in after leaving the "anomaly teleporter" and the third a pit you may have fallen into when rappelling down from Deimos (ow!).

myk said:

Are you the only one? Probably, at least in respect to people who played the game more than once or twice :p

Each episode starts differently. The first has a door behind you, which you likely just crossed from the hangar proper, the second a window from where you must have jumped in after leaving the "anomaly teleporter" and the third a pit you may have fallen into when rappelling down from Deimos (ow!).

Oh, thank you! I didn't know that, Doom storyline was confusing for me

I thought the demons captured you after the end of episode 1, after they nearly kill you, and then they just left you to die in the deimos anomaly.

Well, not exactly Hell yet, as you're at the "shores of hell" but it could be all of what we said; after the teleporter where you may or may not have died, you end up on the other side, over Hell where Deimos now floats, eventually reaching a window into a corrupted base or complex.

When I first played E1 I would always try opening the starting doors behind me, just in case they led somewhere...

Yeah the first time I played through I stared E2 thinking wtf I thought I died what the hell is this so I inevitably turned around to see that I was on the Shores of Hell

Another possible explanation is that Doomguy is beaten to the edge of death when he is "saved" by the portal.

magicsofa said:

The E1 door starts reminded me of wolfenstein's elevators

At least they had the decency to make them look different from exit doors (except Refinery). Interestingly enough, I believe that all instances of DOOR3 in Doom represent either fake or locked doors.

I remember John Romero stated on his forums years ago that the intended ending of e1 was death.

Since Phobos and Deimos are two separate moons, The transition between e1 and e2 is he teleported to Deimos (now in hell) and died or he had to die on Phobos to be teleported to Deimos. I lean towards the first scenario.

I was a pretty thick child so it wasn't until the ending of sequence of e2 that I realized I was in hell all along. I suppose I just took the more surreal environment of e2 as face value and never pondered much into it.

myk said:

and the third a pit you may have fallen into when rappelling down from Deimos (ow!).

either that or it may be the really strange crater you managed to make.

I've always known about the sky behind you in e2 because I kinda look around too much.

It's interesting how even the most insignificant things about Doom can provoke discussion. I remember playing Doom shareware when I was like 7 or 8 and my sister told that the door behind the starting point of each level was supposed to be through were the player entered. I thought it peculiar to see that E1M8 didn't start with a door behind you so we wondered then how the marine was supposed to enter Phobos Anomaly. Here you can actually notice the stylistic differences between Romero and Sandy's levels.

I think that view was my favorite first impression of that map. It looked like you were at the top floor of a building or something while the E1 skies always made you look like you were at ground level or in some kinda subterra.

Katamori said:

On E2M1, when you turn back, you can see the sky.

I don't suppose you ever found that chainsaw secret in Doom 2 did you?

purist said:

I don't suppose you ever found that chainsaw secret in Doom 2 did you?

Bahahahaha!!!!!

I remember looking at the Deimos sky and thinking "Oh Shit"

Regarding exits and beginnings, here are some peculiar findings:

-Every EP1 map ends with an exit room with a switch (discounting E1M8), but the maps begin with you in front of a barred door. Does Doomguy hike his way to the next building?

-E2M6 (Halls of the Damned) begins with you in front of a door. However, there is a corridor right behind said door, leaving no room for even a teleporter. Maybe it's just a painting?

-Every EP3 map ends with a white teleporter pad. An explanation for the monster closet behind you in Limbo.

-Every Doom II ep1 map ends with a switch.

-Every Doom II ep2 map ends with a teleporter pad. (not sure)

-Every Doom II ep3 map ends with you falling through the sky.

hervoheebo said:

Every EP1 map ends with an exit room with a switch (discounting E1M8), but the maps begin with you in front of a barred door. Does Doomguy hike his way to the next building?

Airlocks, perhaps? Assuming the size of Phobos and that the devs didn't really give a rat's backside about conditions there (which is cool), hiking certainly isn't out of the question. Perhaps they used sub-phobian service tunnels!

E2M6 (Halls of the Damned) begins with you in front of a door. However, there is a corridor right behind said door, leaving no room for even a teleporter. Maybe it's just a painting?

Heh. No idea on this one. Came up through the stone floor? e3m6 is another one of these, although one can conjure up something if enough thought is put into it.

Doom really caught the essence of progression thanks to the decent transitions between exits and starting places. This was of course helped in no small part by the intermission screens, which if I must be honest is the greatest thing I miss about the first installment.

I never gave any thought to the doom starts, but the Heretic starts are the ones that got me curious enough to question their logic. In E1M2 You start in the middle of the tower. How did he get in there without disurbing any of the monsters outside first? Why didn't he start somewhere outside the tower? It's as if he was teleported inside the tower from somewhere.

And E1M1 is the docks. I think it's well implied that you came to the city of the damned via boat, but you start FACING the docks from inside, rather than on the docks. And there's no boat to be found out there. The barred gate in the water could've worked as an implied exit to the ocean, but later in the map you're able to visit the area behind the bars and the stream doesn't lead to any large ocean body at all. It's contained within the docks. How did he get there?

I believe the reason for some starts on E2/3 starting with a door despite a corridor being directly behind it is for the same reason you have the paper walls and clashing themes in E3.

To make the player realise that they weren't safe in their universe anymore, but in a fucked up place where flames are the only natural light. Where bad guys are tortured forever. Things are obviously going to be a bit strange, aren't they?

hervoheebo said:
-E2M6 (Halls of the Damned) begins with you in front of a door. However, there is a corridor right behind said door, leaving no room for even a teleporter. Maybe it's just a painting?

If we wanted to rationalize it, we could argue either that it's a fake door meant to taunt the marine or that it's a door that comes from the outer area with the blocks and berserk pack, but got blocked after the marine crossed it the first time (after which some areas opened revealing the berserk pack and any monsters.)

Katamori said:

I played Doom firstly, when I was 9 years old. Since I played and played this fantastic game much times. But...

On E2M1, when you turn back, you can see the sky. This is it. I've never know that. Just a some days ago, when I played...

Due to that, and cause I fear that game previously, I've never seen the Deimos sky texture, when I played as child.

And you? Or only I was the only person? lol

I wonder what other things are still hidden from your knowledge in the game? Do you get 100% secrets when you play?

Hellbent said:

Do you get 100% secrets when you play?

Actually, it's funny you should say that. It only just came to my attention how many secrets I've yet to unfurl in the main IWAD's. In fact, it was only a couple of hours ago that I was strumming through e4m1, reinforcing my belief in the better maps of the collection, when I pressed a torch on the wall, got hemmed in by no less that 4 Barons, and was positively raped to death.

"A secret has been revealed!"

Guess I'm gonna have to give it another run-through.