Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jebou

Weapon&face texture/sound editing

Hello.

So i need help on making weapon interface and the doom dude face.
So few basic questions.

Is the weapon what you hold in your hands considered a sprite or texture? How about that guy face bottom of the weapon?
What resolution those weapon pictures needs to be?
What file type it should be? bmp? png? Anything else needed to be considered?
Same questions goes to Face editing.

Also what is transpalent colour for the doom sprites/textures?

What editors you would recommend on adding the weapons&that face into wad?

And how about sound files? is there any restrictions on frequency rate or anything else? Mono/Stereo?

These my edits would be basically only a re-texturing, nothing stat chances.(and anyways i know how to change them.)
(yeah, i read that wikia stuff, but i am not sure still on those texture stuff etc.)

Jebou said:

Is the weapon what you hold in your hands considered a sprite or texture?

Sprite.

Jebou said:

How about that guy face bottom of the weapon?

Graphic (aka "patch").

Jebou said:

What resolution those weapon pictures needs to be?

They assume the screen is in 320x200 mode (but with a 4:3 physical aspect, which means pixels are not square but 20% taller than they are wide).

Jebou said:

What file type it should be? bmp? png?

Neither.

Jebou said:

Anything else needed to be considered?

Are you targeting any source port in particular?

Jebou said:

Same questions goes to Face editing.

Same thing. The only difference between a sprite and a graphic is that a sprite is put in between S_START and S_END markers.

However, there is a very important difference between a graphic and a texture. A wall texture is composited from patches (at least one patch, but often several). A floor or ceiling texture (aka flat) is a simple dump of pixel data for 256 pixels.

Jebou said:

Also what is transpalent colour for the doom sprites/textures?

There are no transparent color. All the colors are opaque.

Historically, id software used color index 255 as the transparent color. (If you look at the Doom palette, you'll see palette index 255 is used by a weird color that you probably don't remember seeing too often.)

Some of the earlier third-party tools have decided that, since index 0 and index 247 were the same color, they could sacrifice one of them. And since a color that contrasts well with the other is preferable to serve as a "background" color for transparency, this index 247 has often been considered to be magenta or cyan. So you'll get plenty of people who'll say "cyan is the transparent color in Doom", but it's entirely 100% false. It's an editing utility-dependent assumption.

Jebou said:

What editors you would recommend on adding the weapons&that face into wad?

SLADE3. Get the latest build from here.

Jebou said:

And how about sound files? is there any restrictions on frequency rate or anything else? Mono/Stereo?

Mono, and the frequency is usually 11025 or 22050 Hz. The sound is in its own format as well.

If you use a recent build of SLADE3, you can convert .WAV and .VOC files into the Doom sound format. You can convert most existing image formats into the Doom graphic format (or, if they are 64x64, into the flat format).

For sprites, it is crucial to remember to give them offsets. SLADE3 can help you with that.

If you target a specific source port, you may be able to use other formats too. For example, ZDoom supports a wide variety of data formats, so you can use PNG sprites and Ogg Vorbis sounds without having to convert them.

@Gez: Do SLADE3's sound conversion abilities extend to converting from, for instance, 16-bit stereo into the 8-bit mono used by Doom's sounds? If I remember right, SLumpEd and XWE would always give me trouble trying to do that.

esselfortium said:

@Gez: Do SLADE3's sound conversion abilities extend to converting from, for instance, 16-bit stereo into the 8-bit mono used by Doom's sounds?

Unfortunately, no, not at the moment. It will simply refuse to convert WAV files that are 16-bit or stereo.

Thanks.

Gez said:

If you target a specific source port, you may be able to use other formats too. For example, ZDoom supports a wide variety of data formats, so you can use PNG sprites and Ogg Vorbis sounds without having to convert them.

Hmm does the zdoom support higher colour palette? Or need i to reduce the palette to 256? I think that making things to zdoom might be easier, not sure, but atleast if it does support more images, then it might be easier. Well it can be find out with testing. :)

And why the colour becomes differend when i convert 256 coloured bmp into doom image? :(

Jebou said:

Hmm does the zdoom support higher colour palette?

Yes, but the renderer is still paletted so the colors will be remapped to their closest match.

However, if you use GZDoom, you'll see all colors.

Jebou said:

And why the colour becomes differend when i convert 256 coloured bmp into doom image? :(

Probably because your image's palette does not have the same 256 colors as Doom's palette.