Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D_GARG

Sequel: What Is The Wierdest Music you have Ever Heard?

This is some of mine, something i got from my gf

find it quite cool anyway, but I havent heard any similar of this, especially the last one

Alright, I'll bite. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds:

Cave's one of the best lyricists I can think of, and most of his works are pretty poetic and/or make for some interesting listening material (The Mercy Seat; Straight to You). This having been said, some songs of his, while not necessarily that weird, are too "off the beaten track" to cater to a wider audience, although they're still pretty quirky. Here are two such songs:

Neither are the "weirdest" I've heard, though.

It's easy to find weird electronic music, and Nick Cave is meh. Zappa is "weirder" than that. For true weirdness you need to find the genre RIO (Rock In Opposition) or Rock Against Rock.

And here's one from the people who gave us Fish Heads.

Bucket said:

It's easy to find weird electronic music, and Nick Cave is meh. Zappa is "weirder" than that. For true weirdness you need to find the genre RIO (Rock In Opposition) or Rock Against Rock.

Sure, I hear you, though posting Zappa is kinda like cooking straight out of the recipe book, or sailing in charted waters. He's the captain of fleet strange; the one man "brand". As for Cave... heh. A thread that's designed for users to post weird videos is going to produce a few hit and miss results. Posting something that's at least tolerable on the ears at least distinguishes the thread from its ugly predecessor.

I like that Barnes & Barnes number a lot. What makes it weird though is perhaps solely down the video that accompanies it, although the lyrics kind of help out a bit.

Of the stuff that I actually listen to, Coil or Download is the first thing that comes to mind:

Noisecore might be 'weirder' although I think it's too nihilistic and really stretches the definition of "music." The basic philosophy of noisecore seems to be "everything has already been done in conventional music, so lets just make noise." It's like musical trolling or something. Just search for Merzbow and click on a random song.

EDIT:
Forgot about this gem:

Sigvatr said:

How do I post video?

yt and /yt

(only the stuff you find after the m/watch?v= which for example is:

/watch?v=etJ2Bpjjxi8

{}=want

/watch?v={etJ2Bpjjxi8}

Sigvatr said:

his video

I suspect you have already taken the prize!
that looked also like a concert.

amazing :D

I already posted my picks in the other thread. :D

There is Moondog, though, who was pretty weird but you couldn't call any of his music terrible.

Gentlemen, I present to you black metal as it was originally invented in 1969. Except instead of guitars they used bagpipes. And a screaming Connecticut hippie commune.

It picks up around the one minute mark.

The Residents is a big name to come up during the discussion of "weird" music. For those of you that are unaware of them, I will link a very early music video (from the mid 70s) of an excerpt of the album Third Reich 'n Roll. The concept of the album and the music is that they are all Nazi covers of 50s and 60s rock and roll ditties, and that Dick Clark (host of American Bandstand) is actually a Nazi trying to convert the youth of America into a single minded Nazi hate machine with the newfangled rock and roll music. These "covers" are supposed to show the true essence of the songs or some such.

Worth mentioning is the Nurse With Wound list, a collection of experimental artists whose names were all written down as influences for the experimental group Nurse With Wound. The list has been cited as a shopping list for people who want to collect all sorts of great experimental music through the 80s.

http://nursewithwoundlist.blogspot.com/2009/03/introduction.html

Most of what I listen to is considered weird music so I'll just stop here and let the rest of you folk contribute now, cause I could fill this thread up no problem.

Noise, as a genre, is not really weird. It's just basically the current most extreme evolution of punk rock ideology.

So, "weird" music? I don't know...some people think Aphex Twin is weird. Here's something from Boredoms:

and John Zorn (Naked City):

Mr. Bungle is pretty high up there on the list I would say.

Unfortunately that's pretty far from their weirdest song, but I can't the song I wanted to post on YouTube, so poo on them.

Pretty much anything Mike Patton (you might know him from the alt. metal band Faith No More) touches is full of delicious weirdness. For example, his other band Fantômas wrote a 74 minute long song/album called Delìrium Còrdia that can best be described with the following paragraph:

The music, which was composed solely by Patton, could be described as the score to a horror movie and/or concept album centering on the theme of surgery without anesthesia. Several music genres and styles are covered over the course of the album, including easy listening, chanting, Drone, and metal, generally being separated by ambience and sounds and voices in a surgical setting. There are no lyrics or song structures as such as one would traditionally expect; the band instead focuses on atmosphere and the creation of suspense through the use of eerie noises, wordless vocals, and sudden, jarring changes in volume and intensity.

If that doesn't sound fucking awesome I don't know what does.

D_GARG said:

I find it quite cool anyway, but I havent heard any similar of this, especially the last one

Actually, that second one kind of sounds like slightly off-kilter early EBM. Look up Front 242 for an example of actual early EBM.

david_a said:

Of the stuff that I actually listen to, Coil or Download is the first thing that comes to mind:

Oh, shit. Download. I used to listen to them all the time. I wonder what happened to all my old mp3s? Anyway, they're awesome at least for the fact that they used a semi-famous local artifact (Sylvester the Mummy) for the cover of one of their albums.

Anyway, how about some Battles up in this bitch?

They're definitely unique, anyway.

There's also this old classic:

AgentSpork said:

Mr. Bungle is pretty high up there on the list I would say.

If that doesn't sound fucking awesome I don't know what does.

Shieat, I like it :D

OH YES, THEYRE TAKING US AWAY HAHA!

now you reminded me of this:

DOOMING: HYPERACTIVE
now that would be just horrible

i think that if more people concentrated on what is weird when mapping then we would all have a plethora of amazing maps to play all the time.

Don't know/care if they are on Youtube or not, but my brother once opened for a French band called Crevecour (or Crevecouer, the CD is further than arms length away) who were odd. They played what could best be described as "spaghetti western" music through the filter of drone. I bought thier CD which has about 10 minutes of "swishing" noises before the "secret track" that's actually a seperate track anyway so not "secret".

Oh and i went to this extreme metal fest... i don't even know why i booked a ticket as i didn't like the sound of a single band on the bill, but i did get a girlfriend out of going so yeah. Anyway there was one band there called Dragged Into Sunlight who played in black monk's habits, with thier back to the audience, drowned in smoke machine smoke (all the photos i've seen of that performance are just grey with the heads of the closest audience members). They had a half hour set in which they played 2 songs. Oh and the only lighting was from 3 candles at the front of the stage and occasional strobe flashes. Then they finished and just sodded off out of the side door without a word. Wierd or just pretentious? I still can't tell.

GreyGhost said:

Jimmy & The Boys are a safe bet when you're looking for weird.

Captain Obvious strikes again

SHIT that billy boy and the other boys (Maybe even HillyBillys!) was even creepy :S

and that link, is that soundtrack really from there? or has it another source?