Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fezzador

A question for the musically-gifted....

To an extent, yes. It uses the Minor 2nd and Minor 6th notes in the scale. However, it's not a true Phrygian mode as it uses notes from Harmonic and Natural minor scales as well, I think even a major 3rd note is used. Though, I only took one class in Music Theory, so some people may be able to elaborate more.

fezzador said:

Does the Doom song "Sinister" utilize phrygian mode?

What? I thought "phrygian", "ionian" etc. was used for folklore music...

printz said:

What? I thought "phrygian", "ionian" etc. was used for folklore music...

Phrygian is used a lot in Metal and Rock. If I recall correctly, Phrygian is the same as the Natural Minor scale, but with a Minor 2nd rather than Major.

eg: A, A#, C, D, E, F, G, A

I forget what Ionian was.

PRIMEVAL said:

I forget what Ionian was.

Nevermind, maybe I made up that word. I'm sure they were called after Greek peoples, though.

printz said:

Nevermind, maybe I made up that word. I'm sure they were called after Greek peoples, though.

Ionian sounds familiar, I'm pretty sure it is a Mode.

Duh... wikipedia, why didn't I think of that? XP

Yeah, I'm more familiar with the Modern Phrygian mode than the others listed.

Ionian is just another name for the major scale. Aeolian is the minor scale. Phrygian is 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 so Primeval's example should be: A Bb C D E F G.

It is almost wrong to pick a mode, as it doesn't really stay in any particular mode, though it is probably closest to phrygian mode, with notes borrowed from aeolian and locrian, and just about every other mode in existence. Let's just call it chromatic mode to be safe. o_0 As Bucket said, probably not even Bobby Prince knows.

The main theme (in E):

D# - E - F - E - F# - E - G - D

Then after a few bars, you add a perfect 5th above all these notes, so you get a repeat of the main melody higher up:

A# - B - C - B - C# - B - D - A

Then a little later, you get a third harmony line inbetween these two.

A# - B - C - B - C# - B - D - A
F# - G - A - G - A# - G - B - F#

This middle line changes each chord, defining major and minor rather than merely being the same melody repeated at a higher interval.

Then you take this whole progression and move it around into different keys. It starts in E, goes to A, back to E, then to B, A, then finishing in E. Well pretty close to this. (Bobby Prince does this a lot, follows loosely a "12 bar blues" progression. Listen to the classic music from E1M1, it does exactly the same thing.)

Dont know if I am just overly complicating things, but I had fun working this out anyway.

Cheers.