Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hervoheebo

You! Post your WAD ideas here

Since the rules prohibit the bumping of old threads, I figured I'll make another one. If you got any ideas, good or not, for WADS, post them in this thread. Two of mine from the original thread:

-"data corruption", using glitches and quirks as visual and gameplay gimmicks
-"frankenstein/abomination/scrapyard" Stitch together pieces of unfinished/abandoned maps, and modify them with interconnecting corridors, puzzles, monsters and the like. Some guys said they'd like to do the idea farther, but I haven't heard more from them.

Some new ones I've had for some time:

-Monochrome map. Map uses 4 textures and flats in entirety: black wall texture, white wall texture, black flat, black white. I've created a prototype a while ago, and it looks pretty interesting. And to jokers who think I got the idea from the new Pokemon games, mentioned prototype was finished in ~early 2009.
-"Quick, light" small maps that aim to recreate the gameplay of early maps. (e1m1-e1m2, map01-02)
-"COOL environments" Maps that focus on COOL places. You know playing some wad and seeing some cool and unique place, like a downtown or a huge spaceship? Things like that. No grey and brown brick mazes or corridors. Crate mazes are debatable.
-"Survival!" Hold out advancing waves of monsters. 99% sure this has been done already.

Get to it!

Build a tiny deteriorated dark warehouse map.
The player has to kill three Cacodemons and
destroy a lot big computer

hervoheebo said:

farther

You mean further. 'Farther' refers to physical distance, such as "Now I can see farther." 'Further' on the other hand refers to ideas, such as "Let's discuss the topic further."

So now that I'm done being a douchebag, here is my wad idea:

Make a level that is aesthetically pleasing and also fun to play.

OH sorry, still being a douche...

For real though, here's an idea: A level where you have to turn on lights to progress. Light switches are often neglected in modern mapping I think - but it would be cool to have dark areas, requiring the player to find the "power." I can't think of a way you would need to turn OFF the lights though, except by using a trigger that is impossible to avoid.

An ancient hall of long dead kings with an abyssal pit of eternal illusions containing the demon lord of the netherworld itself

Here's an idea. More of a mod idea, but maybe someone could do something with it.

You play as a baron instead of doomguy. After doomguy comes to Hell and kills most of your friends, your commanding demon sends you to find a portal to earth. Your mission is to find and assassinate doomguy. So it would kind of be a megawad in reverse. The hell maps would be at the beginning and all the enemies would be some form of human. And the last maps would be super-well defended starports.

DoomHero85 said:

Here's an idea. More of a mod idea, but maybe someone could do something with it.

You play as a baron instead of doomguy. After doomguy comes to Hell and kills most of your friends, your commanding demon sends you to find a portal to earth. Your mission is to find and assassinate doomguy. So it would kind of be a megawad in reverse. The hell maps would be at the beginning and all the enemies would be some form of human. And the last maps would be super-well defended starports.

This idea is sweet. I don't know if it would work as a megawad, but maybe an episode. The only thing missing I think is resources for weapons. The only ones that I've seen that would fit would be the imp claw, mancubus arm, and the unmaker. But a baron arm and other weapons would be needed. As far as monsters go, there are plenty of Marine skins out there to make various enemies.

Running around a UAC base infested with marines instead of monsters. Awesome.

Do you have to move damn slow as monsters normally move when you play as the monster question mark

I had a Halloween mod in mind, titled Chuck McKnucklelot. It was going to be Heretic/ Gothictextures-themed with lots of tight corridors and gameplay consisting mainly of berserk-fisting Imps.

I quote this from an older thread:

I once wanted to make a doom level in which the doomguy visits a huge theme park about Doom. You would be able see familiar places from Doom I and II rebuild as a theme park attraction, having stuff like rollercoasters, ghost trains and water rides. Kinda like Disneyland.
I also wanted to make a little house where you could visit E1M1 with a water ride along the entire level. There you would see electronical zombie recreating several fight scenes (like those electronical dolls in theme parks, but I have no idea what they are called in english). You also would be able to go behind the level scenery trough hidden doors in the walls, where you could find shortcuts to other theme park attractions. At one certain point, a hell should break loose in that theme park and the monsters, which looked like robots before, start coming to life.
Sadly I never really started this level, but maybe I will do it later.

I usually come up with ideas that at the time sound great, but I usually fail to realize that A) It's Doom, and outside of maps, the content creation takes a long, long time. B) The end result would no doubt be underwhelming in comparison to the idea I had pictured initially.

Case and point: Nazi Chimp Moon Base.

I had planned to do a project revolving around the idea that in the 1940s, the Nazis shot off an armada experimental V2 rockets piloted by a team of highly trained, genetically altered chimpanzees into space. Decades later, the moon now hosts a base which is home to a fascist regime of apes that plan to exterminate the entire human race and it's your job to stop them.

The idea was to do it in the style of a 1970s grindhouse movie with film grain, cigarette burns, mellow dramatic cornball music.. all that fun stuff. After about a week of actual work I realized that it would take not months, but years to accomplish such a task by my lonesome.

I thought I'd share my ideas for future Sunder maps. Now, knowing me, most of these ideas will change once I start mapping...

'Thriving Amber' was a title I had for a map which eventually turned into my new map 'The Zealous Machine'. I had originally meant to use some flesh and orange textures, but that didn't work out. The ideas I had for the layout, however, remained intact.

'Hive Collosus' is the title for the next map I have in mind. It will be a huge sprawling series of temple like structures, built around the good ol' hexagon, giving a vague impression of some sort of bee hive if I'm able. Expect lots of orange and or red combined with metals, or some other dark texture(s) for contrast.

'The Vessel' is the title for another map. In the centre of the map is a huge, open courtyard. Floating above it, and dominating the map, is a great floating structure, looking like some sort of demonic vessel.

'Obsidian Nightmare' is something I've already finished for the most part, but didn't evolve entirely how I envisioned it. Originally, it was going to be nothing but a dark and twisting cave system. The colour theme remained intact.

'Shattered Metropolis' will be an extremely open map, with the occasional, ruined building. There will be hints there was once a sprawling city, but most of the buildings are 'gone', as if some divine force reached down and snatched them away. I intend to start the player off without any monsters visible.

'The Crack' will be a dark valley, with a long sprawling crack in the ground originating in the centre of the map, and fanning outwards into seperate branches creating deep crevases. The centre of this 'crack' will be some sort of mechanical device, implying that it is somehow responsible for the surrounding cracks in the earth. Lots of buildings will be cut open, as if there has recently been a giant quake.

'The Descent' will be a giant circular map, involving the player slowly spiriling down an extremely large and deep pit. The pit will be split up into various sections. Will be vaguely similar to the Living End in regards to the heights the player will deal with.

'The Jade Palace' will be pretty straight forward. It will be big, green, and pretty. Might look to some middle eastern temples and palaces for inspiration, architecture wise.

'Towering Sorrow' is my version of a grey, bleak city map. Lots of tall buildings. That's it.

'The Harlot's Garden' is something I'm looking forward to making. A big, curvy palace, I'll give the (vague) impression an important, and naughty woman once resided here. Expect gardens, ponds and pretty courtyards.

Feel free to steal any of these ideas as I'm sure other peoples will interpret them quite a bit differently than I plan to :)

DoomHero85 didn't say:

You play as Impse instead of doomguy.

FTFY

For the past year or half year or so I've been mulling over starting a project called DKT, D-STRUKT or DESTRUKT. I have a lot of ideas for the visual design and game play. Basically it would be a stand-alone game.

I'm just not sure if I should make it for Doom though.

The different Engines I'm currently considering for it are:
Eternity Engine
Quake 2
Quake 3
Doom 3

All of them have strong points and weaknesses.

EE got lots of modability. But it's so far not usable for the things I wish to do. Portals need to be completely working first (IE the new physics), as is the weapon system and preferably the addition of Voxels.

Q2 got a lot of what I need. But to mod it I would need at least a bit of help from a programmer.

Q3 is the same as with Q2, but I would require A LOT of help from a programmer. Though if I could get that help. It would probably be the best option available.

D3 I would be able to do most everything myself. But at least at the time of writing it's not GPL.

magicsofa said:

You mean further. 'Farther' refers to physical distance, such as "Now I can see farther." 'Further' on the other hand refers to ideas, such as "Let's discuss the topic further."

So now that I'm done being a douchebag, here is my wad idea:

Make a level that is aesthetically pleasing and also fun to play.

OH sorry, still being a douche...

For real though, here's an idea: A level where you have to turn on lights to progress. Light switches are often neglected in modern mapping I think - but it would be cool to have dark areas, requiring the player to find the "power." I can't think of a way you would need to turn OFF the lights though, except by using a trigger that is impossible to avoid.

C'mon, man! Everyone fucks grammar up sometimes.

Also, a new (?) idea:
-A set of levels, roughly in the shape of letters. The letters in sequence just happen to be the name of the wad!!

gggmork said:

Do you have to move damn slow as monsters normally move when you play as the monster question mark

Nope, and the human enemies shouldn't be fast either. That's just for gameplay balancing. Instead, remove infighting from human enemies and give them better AI that seeks cover and communicates (unless they're possessed in your favor, in which case they'll act like normal Doom monsters, friendly or not). One of the bosses should be a Doom hero bot, like the death kings in Hexen, probably with even better AI.

Ultimate showdown - Friggin hard WAD idea for UD, but with the concept of E1-E4 mapping (texturing) styles remaining.

hervoheebo said:
Also, a new (?) idea:
-A set of levels, roughly in the shape of letters. The letters in sequence just happen to be the name of the wad!! [/B]

Serenity/Eternity/Infinity Trilogy?

How about a level where all the walls and floors and ceilings are invisible? You're guiding only by the lamps and fire sticks and such floating in mid air.

magicsofa said:

I agree. That's something I plan to include in some of my maps in the near future. It's tough to do if you want to include sector based light gradients though.

40oz said:

I agree. That's something I plan to include in some of my maps in the near future. It's tough to do if you want to include sector based light gradients though.

I hope it's for Boom though, because I find it trivial if helped by scripting.

Your name is Jellaby Croswell, and you're a butler.

The house owner, a certain Mr. Severus Plimpton-Wells, has departed for the evening to partake in a local pancake fund raising event at the town centre parish, leaving his beloved house in your more than capable hands. But not too long after his departing from his stately home, all manner of hellspawn begin pouring in from an alternate dimension, assailing the building, trashing everything in sight, and even killing Mr. Plimpton’s tabby cat: "Magnificat".

It's up to you now:

Kill the assailants, and protect the house wares! The more property damage caused, the more points will be added to your score (that's a bad thing!). Drag the boddies down into the cellar, sweep the broken glass and chinaware off the floor, and scrub off those nasty blood stains! Use such classic weapons as the Tea tray, Feather Duster and Dyson Powered Vacuum Cleaner to batter and bruise the interlopers off your property. Wield even more exciting weapons of cervical dismemberment such as the Bear Trap, Letter Opener and Barry Scott's Cillit Bang: Grime and Lime...

...But be warned, for an even greater threat awaits in the darkness. A threat so terrible, and so powerful, that not even the greatest of hellspawn would dare contend his might. For when the longest hand on the clock of Doom strokes twelve, Mr. Plimpton-Wells returns home from the local parish, and he is none too pleased with the damage wrought upon his household...

Who can stop him? Who will save the household, and indeed the world from his eternal wrath? Only one man. One man with the expertise and discipline to stand up to tyranny. One man with the bravery, the craftmanship and fearlessness of a thousand men of servitude. One...

BUTLER

• Fully integrated co-operative play.
  • Functional high score system.
  • Multiple maps to choose from.
  • Randomly generated monster make-up, so you never play the same game twice!
  • Brand new decorations and player sprites.
Coming soon, 2012. Possibly sooner if I can be bothered to assemble all the resources.