Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eargosedown

E2M3 uses wrong blue key?

Found this to be a little odd. Key card is blue:

but then the blue skull key texture.

Kinda weird, eh? Anyone ever notice that?

Seeing SKULL KEY markers that early in Doom episode 2 disturbed me, because it made me think of how quickly the episode was getting hellified. I was relieved to find out that the map was still running on keycards -- there still was sanity left. Even E2M7 kept using keycards, thankfully. It would have been too much shock -- and segregation of the rest of the game from E1's style -- if E2 went to using skull keys so early.

And would you look at that, the bottom of the window on screenshot one isn't lower unpegged. Intentional? I don't think so!

Worst... Episode... Ever.

printz said:

Seeing SKULL KEY markers that early in Doom episode 2 disturbed me, because it made me think of how quickly the episode was getting hellified. I was relieved to find out that the map was still running on keycards -- there still was sanity left. Even E2M7 kept using keycards, thankfully. It would have been too much shock -- and segregation of the rest of the game from E1's style -- if E2 went to using skull keys so early.

wow

eargosedown said:

Found this to be a little odd.

Kinda weird, eh? Anyone ever notice that?

Yeah I noticed from the first time I played Doom.Doesn't seem particularily interesting to me.

I was always fascinated with the nearby upper-unpegged door in that room. It looked like it was 'melting' closed. It was cool until I realized how silly it was. :P

Xaser said:

I was always fascinated with the nearby upper-unpegged door in that room. It looked like it was 'melting' closed. It was cool until I realized how silly it was. :P

Something like that also happens in E3M5 with the lion melting doors from the tele-yard. There's something consistent about them: if you see a door close on you like that, it means it cannot be opened again from the side you saw it. It's like a spawning wall mocking you.

I always thought it was weird that at the beginning, the sky brightness is 144, yet go through the blue key door and the sky brightness changes to 255...

Foodles said:

I always thought it was weird that at the beginning, the sky brightness is 144, yet go through the blue key door and the sky brightness changes to 255...

it's hell. Yet you don't know that while you're still in E2... Kinda spooky.

I think the "Shores of Hell" setting would make a great medium for vanilla horror wads, due to all its uncertainties abounding.

Oh! This is a good one, in E2M7!

See that sky? Take note of its height.. and compare it to the ceiling inside the building. Check out the nasty flat used for the window, too.

Also, in the same map, there's a VERY dark outdoor area. What gives?

Clonehunter said:

I can't see the first pic for some reason.

Strange, both are hosted on Tinypic.

Xaser said:

Don't forget the bodies hanging from the sky in that one outdoor part.

That, too. Makes it painfully obvious that the ceiling was changed to sky at the last minute.

The surrealistic theme of Episode 2 was so ahead of its time. Clearly the level designers making nice and physically correct Hell maps don't know jack :P

Clonehunter said:

Now I see it. Hnh, nice find. Error on ID's behalf I suppose.

Map was started by Tom Hall and finished by Sandy Petersen, so it's more like a rule than an exception.

Anyway, EP2 does have its share of strange stuff, but if you take a look at Inferno or KDITD (gasp!) you'll find illogicalities there, too. Give Doom a replay sometime and look at the levels with the discerning eye of the mapper and there's a LOT of things that mappers would get scolded at nowadays.

hervoheebo said:

Map was started by Tom Hall and finished by Sandy Petersen, so it's more like a rule than an exception.

Anyway, EP2 does have its share of strange stuff, but if you take a look at Inferno or KDITD (gasp!) you'll find illogicalities there, too. Give Doom a replay sometime and look at the levels with the discerning eye of the mapper and there's a LOT of things that mappers would get scolded at nowadays.

It was all the illogicalities or idosyncracies of Doom that add so much to the atmosphere and sense of a warped place you are in. I always looked for things like this and thought they were cool.

hervoheebo said:

Basically they were left in a situation where time was passing by, which can be critical in the software business where programs get old or commercial niches get taken by competition, and they had lost one of the principal team members; the general game designer and one of two level designers. They hired a guy, who was just an employee because they were not about to give away part of the company, to fill a role that required trust as much as skill. Hence they went for an established game designer that could be valued for his professionalism instead of a less known guy that could otherwise show promise but might prove unreliable. So Petersen had to work as a relative outsider (the other key guys, except the musician, were owners) and finish someone else's work with a limited amount of time. I think the resource production for hellish content also got stalled somewhat when design got more vague with Hall leaving, so when doing the non-tech-base levels, Petersen had to be more experimental, especially when he had to use existing tech base levels to fill in hellish areas. I think he managed more or less decently, keeping the design on its feet and producing somewhat messy but fun levels, if sometimes a bit easy (but more so from today's point of view and it's not that E1 is necessarily harder.)

hervoheebo said:

Yep. Inferno has oddball things like the techbase-looking sections in the middle of E3M3 (Pandemonium). Did the monsters decide they liked the moonbases so much that they decided to redecorate part of Hell in a techbase theme?

Not to mention Hell having health, weapons/ammo and powerups conveniently placed for DoomGuy to find and use against the hellspawn. I suppose we could pass it off as Hell jerking DoomGuy's chain and giving him the idea he has a fighting chance since he of course returns to Earth only to find Hell has already invaded.