Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stupid Bunny

As-yet-unnamed Doom II map

This is a map I've been working on for the past couple of weeks. I'm not going to upload it to /idgames at this point because I plan to add a few other maps to the WAD, but more importantly I wanted to put the map up for commentary and criticism so I can tweak it to be better and apply what I learn to the other maps in the set. Give it a play and tell me what you all think, what I did right, what I did wrong, etc.

Fixed version 1

Screenies
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/KeegTech/Screenshot_Doom_20101022_152940.png
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/KeegTech/Screenshot_Doom_20101022_153211.png
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/KeegTech/Screenshot_Doom_20101022_153928.png
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/KeegTech/Screenshot_Doom_20101022_154809.png

FDA. Lots of deaths and 10 enemies missing on final attempt - sector 160 never lowers and 10 imps remain stuck and unreachable.

I liked the interconnectivity, that you had lots of different ways to start and approach things during the first part of the map. I also liked that it suddenly took a different pace at one point, more slaughterish and linear. However, during that part important pick-ups were sometimes hard to see (as you might notice, I missed the first RL and the megasphere in the climatic fight - by the way, that room looked great). A great map, in my opinion. Where's the midi from ?

Edit : rough attempt at UV speed now that I know the map. Looks fun for speedrunning.

Yeah, pretty good map, and rather tough due to the hit scanner positioning, relatively tight or positioned item placement and occasional difficulty to get at enemies that are partially hidden, perched above or distant.

Haven't finished it yet so I can't fully judge for now.

Please use F_END, rather than FF_END, for the ending flat marker and give different names to the BLACK patch and flat lumps. These cause terminal issues in Doom2+. I PMed you a copy of the WAD with those changes made.

Thanks for the feedback...I'm glad opinion so far generally seems to be favorable.

@Phml: I see what you mean about item placement in that last part, and I had kind of been thinking that I need to draw more attention to the megasphere than I do. Also, the fact that sector 160 doesn't lower is strange, as it always lowers when I play the map. I suspect it's a sourceport thing (I do almost all my testing in ZDoom) but then I'm not sure what the fix would be.

@myk: Thanks for that, I didn't know those could be problems.

Also, the music track, I believe, is from Duke Nukem 3D.

Also, the fact that sector 160 doesn't lower is strange, as it always lowers when I play the map. I suspect it's a sourceport thing (I do almost all my testing in ZDoom) but then I'm not sure what the fix would be.

I suppose. I played your wad in GlBoom+ with complevel 2, which should be Doom compatibility.

You could make two different linedefs (W1 lower to lowest floor for the imp sector) close to each other. There could be an easier way, I don't know much about that stuff.

The reason sector 160 doesn't lower is because the Imp's are stuck in the wall.

In Vanilla Doom, sector movement is blocked by bad guys if said sector doesn't have enough room for them.

Certain ports, such as ZDoom, change this behaviour so a sector with a bad guy stuck in it will still lower.

Ah, right...I swear I've made the same mistake before actually. In any case, I've uploaded a new version with that fixed, as well as myk's fixes and a couple other minor things (the megasphere is now a little more conspicuous, for instance.)

I was trying for a max and noticed that linedef 3364 is missing a texture (HOM).

Fixed, although since it's one inconspicuous texture and I've now started on a second map in the same file I won't be putting the fix online.

Really nice level, thanks. Better than anything I can do. What I like the most is that the gameplay is on the forefront and has a fresh feel to it. Although I haven't finished this yet, I'd easily give this a 5/5. That Duke Nukem song suites the level well, IMO. Anyway I'm looking forward to more like this one! ;)

DeathevokatioN said:

What I like the most is that the gameplay is on the forefront and has a fresh feel to it.

I'm glad you should say that, since that's more or less what I was going for in building this. More generally, this and the other maps that will be in the set are focused around addressing problems I felt my previous maps have had, mostly regarding linearity, poor flow and drab or square architecture. It's good to hear I seem to have succeeded and hopefully I will with the next few maps.

Also, screenshots added to OP