Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Texture troubles

I'm working on a Doom 2 PWAD, and for some reason the custom texture I've added in will not appear, even though I've added it to PNAMES and TEXTURE1. I've added custom textures before that have worked fine, I just don't get why this one won't appear. Even weirder, it appears fine in Doom Builder, so I don't get what's up.

It's most likely the order in which wads are being loaded. While Doom Builder (and some source ports) aggregate the contents of all TEXTURE1 lumps found while loading, most ports only use the last one loaded.

GreyGhost said:

It's most likely the order in which wads are being loaded. While Doom Builder (and some source ports) aggregate the contents of all TEXTURE1 lumps found while loading, most ports only use the last one loaded.

That could be it, but I'm only loading one extra texture, and it's in the same WAD as the one my map is in. There are no other wads currently being loaded with the exception of the Doom II IWAD.

Is the patch that the texture is a part of between P_START and P_END lump markers? DoomBuilder is lax about that sort of thing unless you specify so, and most ports will want the patch placed there.

Mista_T said:

Is the patch that the texture is a part of between P_START and P_END lump markers? DoomBuilder is lax about that sort of thing unless you specify so, and most ports will want the patch placed there.

No they won't. This is only used by map editors, actually. As long as it's listed in PNAMES and then defined in a texture in TEXTURE1, it should work.

EarthQuake said:

Is the image in the correct format for your target engine?

I'm using ZDoom for testing, but I'm currently building it for compatibility with most Vanilla source ports. (Maybe limit-removing, we'll see how large the stage gets. :) )

That actually seems to be the problem. It's currently loading as an image. (?) It should be a patch. I'll get to fixing this. Thanks for the help.

TrueDude said:

It's currently loading as an image. (?) It should be a patch.

It happens sometimes after import & paste, but if it's between P_START and P_END, it "fixes" itself automatically into a patch after the wad is saved and reloaded.

Hmm, this is odd, even though I've changed it into a PATCH file, it still refuses to work. What should I try to do next?

Post it on a download site. If someone else can reproduce the problem they can probably also tell you how to fix it.

The problem was in your PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps. You should add the patch to the PNAMES and to TEXTURE1, not create new lumps containing only your patch and texture.

Here is a fixed version:

[DOWNLOAD]

Xtroose said:

The problem was in your PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps. You should add the patch to the PNAMES and to TEXTURE1, not create new lumps containing only your patch and texture.

Here is a fixed version:

[DOWNLOAD]

Thanks for the help! Now I can get back to working on the map. (Though I was doing it even without the texture working right, now it should help testing)