Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DanimalKingdom

Custom Sound Effects help

Hello, I'm making a Doom TC, and the only thing left to do is put in my custom sound effects. I've searched and searched and cannot find any info on how to put in custom sounds. I understand how to put it in in XWE etc, but what's stoppingme is the format. Does it have to be 8-bit wavs or can you use higher quality samples?

I have no problem per se with using 8-bit samples, but there's no easy way of converting samples into 8-bit wav format. And please don't mention Sound eXchange, it's a command-line program and a total ball ache. Can I use 16-bit samples?

Hope some of you guys know the answer to this, my TC is looking really good but it needs these sounds before I can release it.

The Doom Wiki might explain a bit more than I can.

Pretty much nowadays people use source ports instead of the original executables (although there is a minority of purists who still use it or Chocolate Doom). That said, most, if not all, will play whatever common sound formats you throw into the wad.

If you're intent on remaining strictly compatible, you can use Windows Sound Recorder (File > Properties > Convert Now...) or even XWE to convert to an appropriate format (although I'm not particularly sure what XWE converts the lump to). From what I understand though, Doom is limited to 8-bit PCM formats.

but there's no easy way of converting samples into 8-bit wav format. And please don't mention Sound eXchange, it's a command-line program and a total ball ache. Can I use 16-bit samples?

You can use Goldwave to do convert 16 to 8-bit. The trail version is free.

SLADE3 can do the conversion to the DMX format used by Doom. So, no need to get XWE just for that.