Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dannebubinga

My bands first recording

Yo!
when I'm not mapping in doom i play drums in the band "Svarta Maria" (Black Maria in english). We've just recorded some songs wich we will release on a 7 inch pretty soon. Just wanted to promote to see what people think about it. Enjoy.

Mr. Chris said:

What genre of rock/metal are you guys supposed to be?

I think it's funny that you assume this is metal or rock music. It's punk like magicsofa said.

Not very well recorded or mastered.

Pretty generic punk/rock stuff.

I don't know exactly what kind of feedback you were looking for, but there's really nothing memorable about it at all.

It's pretty good too - although I wish I could understand the lyrics :D

Good drumming as well...one thing I found interesting was the lack of blast-beats. There was one quick one at about 1:09 in the second song. Is that usually the case that you don't use blastbeats, or was it just the songs you happened to put up?

udderdude said:

there's really nothing memorable about it at all.

Good job taking a shit on someone else's band. I don't think music has to "push the envelope" to be good.

Not to mention, we're talking about punk rock here, which has a strong tradition of shitty recordings and generic riffs which turn crowds into mosh pits.

What's this about blast beats? What do those have to do with punk?

magicsofa said:

Good job taking a shit on someone else's band.

Good job on denying someone the right to an opinion.

magicsofa said:

Not to mention, we're talking about punk rock here, which has a strong tradition of shitty recordings and generic riffs which turn crowds into mosh pits.

It seems you're implicating the entire genre of punk rock as being crap, in which case, I'd have to agree for the most part. :P

I love it. I'd definitely go to your shows. You probably don't tour in the United States though right?

Nomad said:

Good job on denying someone the right to an opinion.

I suppose but there's ignorance involved with what he said, especially since Magicsofa is absolutely right in what he's stated about punk and it appears as though Svarta Maria captured it pretty accurately. I think this band should be appreciated for doing exactly what it set out to do correctly instead of doing something else poorly.

magicsofa said:

sounds more like punk to me

Which is pretty much twice as obvious considering they made their logo to look a bit like the Sex Pistol's one.

I'm not a big fan of punk, so I can't really comment on the quality. Sounds like punk to me.

I quite like it. I prefer the first song of the two. It sounds heavily influenced by UK classic punk, which is a good thing. Utbrand has a hint more of grunge about it.

I wish I knew what the lyrics are too but if they are horrible it'd probably ruin it for me.

udderdude said:

It seems you're implicating the entire genre of punk rock as being crap, in which case, I'd have to agree for the most part. :P

haha fair enough

udderdude said:

Not very well recorded or mastered.

It really doesn't sound bad, mastering-wise. You can't expect it to have the quality of the direct-digital guitars and electronic drums and multi-thousand dollars budget of mainstream groups.

As for the music itself, I can't say I'm a fan of punk, but this really isn't bad. Reminds me of some of the music I heard on GTA 2's otherwise horrible radio mix.

I'm a punk fan and I really dig this. The mastering is awful. I hope you didn't pay a substantial amount for it. The whole track has a virtual haze that irritates the shit out of me. It's the guitar, it's crowding the mix. It sound ok over internal speaker but putting it through my sound system makes it sound hazy. This sounds like it was mastered for ear-buds in mind.

Xeros612 said:

It really doesn't sound bad, mastering-wise. You can't expect it to have the quality of the direct-digital guitars and electronic drums and multi-thousand dollars budget of mainstream groups.

Absolute grade-A bullshit. The right engineer can mix and master that to sound classy, like the rest of them.

Why don't you go into detail dannebubinga, the recording process I mean.

We didn't pay much at all for this recording (120$ or so). It's analog recorded and mixed. We havn't really talked about the mastering since we've all been busy with school, jobs etc. But there are some issues with the mastering we will deal with our selves when we have time. Youtube did screw up the audio pretty hard to. The original CD sounds totally different in my stereo at home.

We won't be touring the US no hehe. But maybe Germany, Holland and Belgium in 2011.

We recorded everything live (except vocals and the second guitar) in 8 takes. So there are small mistakes here and there on every instrument, but we wanted to capture the live feeling and couldn't care less about small mistakes.

I don't blast beat. Don't know why I should do it in theese songs when they clearly are classic 4/4 beat.

dannebubinga said:

I don't blast beat. Don't know why I should do it in theese songs when they clearly are classic 4/4 beat.

I don't think you should, I was just curious as to whether you do it at all. But it's better without because it keeps that throwback vibe :D

Technician said:

The right engineer can mix and master that to sound classy, like the rest of them.

>insinuating fake sounding digital recording and mastering is classy.

Fuck crisp "proffessionally recorded" music. The rawness here adds to the spirit and the character of the music. The music here is actually pretty cool IMO. I'm not totally familiar with the style but I like what I'm hearing. So I guess that's what matters. :P

If your interested, I'm writing for an underground fanzine called Morbid Prayers which mostly focuses on classic heavy metal, but if you send me a copy of this recording I'll review it for you?

DeathevokatioN said:

If your interested, I'm writing for an underground fanzine called Morbid Prayers which mostly focuses on classic heavy metal, but if you send me a copy of this recording I'll review it for you?

This isn't released yet, so no reviews yet.