Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
uryu the wind scythe

re-load! re-load! re-load!

ok...so i have spent a better half of the day looking thrugh the forums and have not found alot of usefull info on this...
questions:
1) how do i put new weapons in doom?
2)how do i make re-loading frames in doom?

that's all. also , im not familar with forums , so i might not be back here , not cause i dont wanna be , but cause i cant find it...better?

also , im not familar with doom worlds forums , so i might not be back here , not cause i dont wanna be , but cause i cant find it..ok?

ok

uryu the wind scythe said:

that's all. also , im not familar with doom worlds forums , so i might not be back here , not cause i dont wanna be , but cause i cant find it..ok?

Can't find it??

You read the Doom and ZDoom wikis like the rest of us did.

It's really quite futile to ask such a generic question because no one will explain such a complicated topic to you; instead you will be pointed in the direction of a good start.

far as i can tell , zdoom wiki helps tell u what things are , not how to implement them.and doom wiki? not helpfull either.{limited topics}
the only near helpfull thing was the zdoom website , and that held limited information

I've never edited doom before but I do know alot of people who do edit and they use XWE. Doomworld even has a subform for XWE, have a look there mate.

Urgh.

Okay, first things first.

You don't put new weapons in Doom. The weapons are there and hardcoded. You can only put new weapons if you use a Doom port.

Doom ports that allow you to define new weapons are not that many. There is the aforementioned ZDoom, there is also EDGE, and I think that's about all. (Eternity is planning to support custom weapons eventually, but it's not in yet; and Doomsday doesn't seem to support custom weapons either but maybe I haven't looked at the right places.)

For editing, do not use XWE. It is no longer actively developed, so it has many issues which will never be fixed, unfortunately. I recommend SLADE3 instead.

Okay so far. So, let's say you've decided to use ZDoom, since you said you've looked at its wiki and since it's what I'm familiar with. To create new stuff, be it weapons or monsters or whatever, you have to use an advanced content definition/scripting language called DECORATE. If you've looked at any of the existing weapons, for example the shotgun, you've seen a code block with in its header a link to the DECORATE page. Go there. What do you see? That's right! One of the articles is entitled "creating new weapons". Maybe you should take a look at that? I dunno, maybe it would tell you how to implement a new weapon.

Gez said:

Urgh.

Okay, first things first.

A)You don't put new weapons in Doom. The weapons are there and hardcoded. You can only put new weapons if you use a Doom port.

B)For editing, do not use XWE. It is no longer actively developed, so it has many issues which will never be fixed, unfortunately. I recommend SLADE3 instead.

C)"creating new weapons". Maybe you should take a look at that? I dunno, maybe it would tell you how to implement a new weapon.

A) oh ...well...ill find a way.
B)do NOT use xwe? that's the only thing i do use! it's alot better to use than wintex. but ill take your advice into consideration , if slade is easy enough , ill use it.

C) i have that page on html already , and it has not been helpfull , just vauge.

and , to clarify , i have been hacking doom for a few years now and know a little bit of it , mostly editing graphics , applying new skins ,creating maps , i like zdoom , though i use the original doom engine more {for nostalgic purposies , and it works on almost any machine.}

p.s
if i come off as a little rude , i apologize.

It's actually quite easy, i use wintex. I export the images from the wad, edit them in a photoshop type program, they have to be saved in 256 bitmap before they can be imported into the wad, so expect some colour loss unless you are a digital artist of some kind. look at the alignment of the original weapons in doom then try and align yours (usually it's like -180 by like say -68 or something, just an example)
hit apply! MAKE SURE YOU HIT APPLY! save the wad, load it up, see where the weapon is... Trial and error.. once you figure out how to do one you've got it figured out.. no problem..what i've just went over strictly replaces just graphics..
Hopefully this was helpful to you i figured out most of this on my own and through random tutorials (thanks doomworld, you changed my life!)
anyway DOOD
good luck! **
oh btw the only way i could get the 256 colour bitmap was in mspaint for me.. it's ghetto but mspaint is so sexy... in a ghetto booty kind of way...
Oh and if you are having problems finding doomworld i suggest bookmarking this page! then you can easily see your responses..
I would like to post a youtube video tutorial to help others out, maybe if i get enough space and am bored enough i'll try and figure it out.. right now i'm WAY too busy with my doom tc when i'm not working..
-Painted Black

that helps a little.... but..you dont have to use trial and error....
like , in the main wintex editing window{the one with apply} right beside the apply button , there are six buttons on the right..->
a)set for weapon up
b)set for flying sprite
c)set for wall
d)null offesets looks like this 0.0
e)set offsets for weapon
f)set off sets for sprite

A)this is what you want , it will automaticly set you for the middle of the screen , where the norm doom weapons are , no guess work involved.

b)this sets your custom picture where a flying sprite would be , this is unadvised if you have ....say a zombieman , set as flying , he would be in the air , and quite difficult to shoot.

c) this is for wall , only in the patches/flats.

D)this only works on custom pics , and only while you are editing.

E)this sets the weapon at the status bar. set weapon up , pushes it to where it will appear level with the status bar , {try it!}

f) this is for a walking sprite.

then click apply.
to see what any of these are , look on the bottom of the screen , it always says what it is , or where you are...

i dont really use wintex al that much anymor , xwe , allows you to put in full color , and even use dvd pics! that's why i use that , i cant use slumped becuase , it requires some addituanl files ,you should try xwe , {optional} just because it's a lot eaiser to grasp.]

and yeh. i use ms paint to. havnt found a eaiser , more detailed program yet.

MSPaint? Are you nuts?
You should consider trying to use photoshop, fireworks, or even Paint Shot Pro if you don't want people bashing your work. Unless you are a guru that spent years and years using and improving abilities in MSPain, everything you do there will look like shit.

And there are still people using XWE?
I strongly recommend you to use Slade 3, but if you want to get your wad corrupted, go ahead and keep using it.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

You should consider trying to use photoshop, fireworks, or even Paint Shot Pro if you don't want people bashing your work. Unless you are a guru that spent years and years using and improving abilities in MSPain, everything you do there will look like shit.

And there are still people using XWE?
I strongly recommend you to use Slade 3, but if you want to get your wad corrupted, go ahead and keep using it.

ok , so first of all , photshop and psp was never available on my dial up connection. and yes , i have spent years working off ms paint. anything else is very weird.

xwe i only got a few months ago before that i used wintex. as for slade 3 , it only works with some compenent i dont have on my computer.

but i will check out fireworks , that may be bettter{thanks in advance}

If bandwich is the problem, Macromedia Fireworks won't help you since it's about the same size of photoshop.

Go for Pain Shop Pro then. Not good as Fireworks or Photoshop, but it has lot of cool features, and it's about a few megabyes.

Or, ever have you considered going into a Cybercafe, McDonalds, or Shopping Center with wireless connection to download Photoshop or Fireworx?