Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Toyota recall....

Who has the power to come up with these bullshit news items.
"The break light on my 5 year old car came on.. I want my car recalled!" Really??

TOKYO – Toyota is recalling 1.53 million Lexus, Avalon and other models, mostly in the U.S. and Japan, for brake fluid and fuel pump problems, the latest in a string of quality problems for the world's No. 1 automaker.

Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday it will call back for repairs about 740,000 cars in the U.S. and 599,000 in Japan. The remainder are in Europe and other markets around the world.
Over the past year, Toyota has recalled more than 10 million cars and trucks worldwide for a variety of problems, from faulty gas pedals and floor mats that can trap accelerators, to braking problems in its Prius hybrid. In August, Toyota called back 1.33 million Corolla sedans and Matrix hatchbacks in the U.S. and Canada because their engines may stall.

The majority of vehicles this time around need to be fixed for a problem with the brake master cylinder, which could lead to weaker braking power, said spokesman Paul Nolasco in Tokyo.
Some models in Japan and elsewhere — but not in North America — have an electrical problem with the fuel pump, which could lead the engine to stall, Nolasco said.

No accidents have been reported from the two defects, he said.
Ryuichi Saito, auto analyst with Mizuho Investors Securities in Tokyo, said Toyota may have learned a lesson from earlier this year when it faced harsh criticism, particularly in the U.S., for dragging its feet on safety problems and recalls. American regulators hit Toyota with a $16.4 million fine for failing to promptly tell the government about its car defects.

"Toyota's image suffered because it was slow and so it is trying to be quick with its response," Saito said.
The automaker has been working to overhaul its quality controls and respond more aggressively to customer complaints in the fallout from its recall crisis.

The models affected by the latest recall in the U.S. include the 2005 and 2006 Avalon, 2004 through 2006 non-hybrid Highlander and Lexus RX330, and 2006 Lexus GS300, IS250, and IS350 vehicles, the company said in a release from its U.S. headquarters in Torrance, California.
The release said a small amount of the brake fluid could slowly leak from the brake master cylinder, resulting in illumination of the brake warning lamp.

Toyota will notify owners around the world by mail to come for repairs at no charge, Nolasco said.

The models affected in Japan include the Crown, Crown Majesta, Harrier, Mark X, Alphard, Kluger, Lexus GS350, Lexus IS250, and Lexus IS350. The production date of the models ranges from May 2002 to November 2005.

Two models in Japan — the Lexus GS350 and the Crown — are affected by both problems.

In Japan, Toyota's image has taken less of a beating. And despite the safety woes, the Prius has been Japan's top-selling model this year.
From January through August, Toyota sold 5.6 million vehicles globally, up 13 percent from a year earlier.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101021/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_toyota_recall

Maes, I knew a guy who claimed his father and his buddies would get together and lift yugos around in the parking lots and move them to weird places. Sometimes to other spots in the parking lot entirely since they weighed absolutely nothing. what a safe vehicle that is, eh?

Well, you can do that with pretty much any small car, like a Smart, classic Mini or the older FIAT 127 (the Yugo was based on it, BTW).

Of course you CAN'T do that with an ALL-AMERICAN, 3-ton Caddilac now, CAN YOU? Unless you have a team of 10 Schwarzeneggers lifting it.

Yeah, I think that was totally Csonigo's point, too.

6 of the guys in band back in High School moved the director's Miata to the next parking space as a gag. Needless to say she was not amused.

Hah, amusing, but i've actually heard better. Back around the mid 90s in one of the neighboring high schools to the one I went to, for the senior prank, the auto tech class got together, took apart the Principal's car, and reassembled it on the roof.

Looks just like a ricer.

For me, American Car = big, square, boxy 70s and 80s station wagons used in movies such as Police Academy ;-)

Oh and the wood grain decorations!

Mr. Freeze
It's a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE1.

Has way too much eyeliner. Bags under the eyes too. I mean, I thought you might be into older women, but this... this is something else.

EDIT: Wait a tic. 'ow about this!

Mr. Freeze said:

And that's why I drive American.

Because American car quality is so fucking excellent, rite. Right? No.

If we're being honest, the only good American cars are those Fords that they've brought over from Europe (finally), and a select few GM vehicles (Cadillac CTS-V comes to mind). Everything else America makes is trash.

The only cars I've driven have been American. My first was a Chevy Astro, my current one is a Mazda 626. The Astro was over 20 years old when I got rid of it, and I saw it on the streets just a year ago. My 626 is over 15 years old and still running okay. If you want longevity, go American.

The Mazda 626 is only American in the vaguest sense of the word possible, in the sense that a General Motors division (note: not even an American General Motors division, it was Holden) was partially responsible for it's original engineering, and Ford was partially responsible for the development of the specific platform of the model you own. You're being way too generous to the idea of what an American car is Danarchy.

By that standard the Chrysler Crossfire is absolutely a German vehicle, because it was a Mercedes-Benz developed vehicle, based on the R170 platform, then they decided it was not of good enough quality to bear a Mercedes badge, so they sold it to Karmann, who then convinced Chrysler that it was something they should sell, because Karmann certainly couldn't convince any marque in the Volkswagen Group that it was a good vehicle. Or we can just call it American because it was an American company that decided the car was worth selling, an American company that put their badge on it, and an American company that made money off of it. The latter is way simpler and seems more sensible to me.

Danarchy said:

The only cars I've driven have been American. My first was a Chevy Astro, my current one is a Mazda 626. The Astro was over 20 years old when I got rid of it, and I saw it on the streets just a year ago. My 626 is over 15 years old and still running okay. If you want longevity, go American.

I drive a 1997 Honda Odyssey. It isn't going to die in the next 5 years. There are plenty of vehicles capable of longevity that aren't American. This American vs. non-American BS is stupid as hell. Who cares where a car is made so long as it can get you from point A to point B safely?

John Smith said:

The Mazda 626 is only American in the vaguest sense of the word possible, in the sense that a General Motors division (note: not even an American General Motors division, it was Holden) was partially responsible for it's original engineering, and Ford was partially responsible for the development of the specific platform of the model you own. You're being way too generous to the idea of what an American car is Danarchy.

Wait, seriously? Last time I got in a discussion about this I thought that Mazda was an Asian brand, and someone told me I was stupid because it was American. God damnit, everyone.

So I guess that makes Datsun (Nissan) pickup trucks Greek, because they were once manufactured here and they were iconized by their portrayal in 80s videotrash movies as the Gypsie's potato and watermelon carrying pickup trucks?

Danarchy said:

Wait, seriously? Last time I got in a discussion about this I thought that Mazda was an Asian brand, and someone told me I was stupid because it was American. God damnit, everyone.

Mazda at various points in it's history closely affiliated themselves with General Motors, and later Ford. These were such close partnerships that basically all cars made by Mazda during the years they worked with GM and Ford were based on joint platforms, or platforms wholly designed by GM or Ford. Some people (usually the big fans of American cars) will point to this fact, given the success Mazda enjoyed during these times, and claim that Mazda's are American cars. Which is silly. Mazda is a company founded in, and run from Japan, with no parent company outside of Japan, and I can't think of a logical reason that would make Mazda cars anything but Japanese.

Maes said:

Looks just like a ricer.

For me, American Car = big, square, boxy 70s and 80s station wagons used in movies such as Police Academy ;-)

Oh and the wood grain decorations!

Hooray stereotypes!

But hey, at least older American cars aren't shite like the new ones. Hell, I've got a '93 Plymouth Acclaim, and aside from what the previous owner did to it(he was quite the idiot, and in an abusive relationship apparently because his woman smashed the rear window out), it runs like a TANK.