Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
iHaveToPee

Need help about building a "city" map

Hey,
I'd like to build a map that will look like a city with a few buildings with monsters etc.
My problem is that I have no idea from where to start, what I mean is if to make a huge sector and start building mini sectors in it or if I have to make all the buildings one by one and then to put one sector on all the buildings.

I took for an example to my idea map 29 from Scythe- "Hell On Earth".
All the buildings are in a huge area but when do I build that sector, after I finish my buildings or the first thing that I have to build? Are there difference between the two ways?

I would start with a core outdoor sector - not huge, just large enough to accomodate a few buildings, then expand it as needed (unless you've got a keen eye for proportions and can do it all in one go).

For a good example look at Doom2 Map13. Really a simple map construction and easily expandable.

Depending on your level of skill, you could construct all the buildings as 3D structures, so that the Player can utilize the roof areas as well. Then you can also easily make the buildings have different heights and floors and proper staircases.

Here are a few more things to consider:

1. Do you have a clear layout for your city map? If so, you should draw it out on paper, which will tell you what sectors are different, and if it makes sense to start with one large sector. For example, say you have a park in the middle of the city, it's raised from the main floor of the city, and you have to reach it by a set of stairs. Right there you have many unique sectors. However, if the park is surrounded by the street, then you can create the street sector first, then put the park sector(s) into the street sector so that the latter surrounds the former. As you can see, in this case you start with the outside sector, then add sectors inside it. This analogy could apply to your entire city - if the floor of the city is at the same height throughout, and has the same FLAT texture, then you can start with one huge sector and then add the various sub-sectors. However, if some parts of the city have floors or ceilings that are higher than others, then you'd be better off creating separate sectors right from the start.

2. Do you want your buildings to all have the same height? [Note that, typically, the "height" of buildings is determined by the height of your sky "ceiling". Of course, this rule does not apply to buildings made with 3D floors.] If so, then you can start with one large "city" sector, and put your buildings in. If you want a certain section of your city to have buildings with greater/lower heights that others, you should consider creating separate sectors right from the start.

For someone who has never built a city map before, I would recommend using Phml's suggestion to start with a single large outdoor sector, put buildings in, and expand the city as necessary.

Well I started building my map. my problem was with the buildings that I didn't know that I have to make mini sector around them and delete it and make sectors for door/windows etc.
Well after 3 buildings i'm too lazy to keep building :D and its only the first map of my wad so i guess that the expanded city will be in other level.

iHaveToPee said:

.... I didn't know that I have to .... make sectors for door/windows etc. Well after 3 buildings i'm too lazy to keep building ....

Your post impies that you'll need windows and doors only for city maps. In fact, windows and doors are essential parts of most maps, regardless of the type of theme. Therefore, if you want to make a map that people will enjoy playing, you probably ought to pay your dues and put in the time and effort to make doors and windows.

If it's your first map its best to stay simple. Try making something similar to Entryway or Hangar in DOOM.

For a city like the guy above me said it would be a good using Map 13 (Downtown) as a framework. For multiple stories Map 15 is also good.

You could, to make it easy start with, a small suburb with a few one floor buildings with a few doors and windows, each having a basement of somesort. You could have tall lindefs made dummy sectors that are intended to be larger buildings and sky scrapers blocking the light. You could add a small sewer that you navigate through into another small suburb.

Work on that sort of conept first and if you like you can make the same map have multiple stories later on or you could add the city to the level after to give it a continuity effect.

Try the suburb first and get used to all the triggers of doors and lights and what not.

Good luck!

Well I'v finished map 1, I guess that i'll do a city map in map 6 to finish the first episode with a large map with alot of monsters and a "boss fight"- first appearance of a cyberdemon or a spidermastermind in my wad.
Anyway I started to practise in building such a maps, I just designed a little map with 2-3 buildings to check how it looks, well I guess that for a map 6 I'll spend a week or two in making a really good one.