Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Young Cyberdemon

Extras in Doom Builder 2

Many people have many extras with thousands upon thousands of WADS, ports (Whatever), and I understand just enough to make fundamental levels on doom builder. But people have extra things. What is there I can have?

1. I've already asked about custom weapons and monsters, but if you could put that into simple terms for me it will be greatly appreciated!
2. Also, can you get signs with texts on them so like when you make sign posts it'll look cool? I've wanted that for a long time.
3. And can you make continuous textures past the bondaries of your map so it doesn't take all the space and lag? So for exaple endless seas and such.
4. Can I make custom textures, with like coloir mixers on existing textures or even ready made pics on internet or in your computer space (Background and usual)
5. Finally, can you make your own commands, like let's say "W1 Floor Raise by 128"?

Thanks for reading.

Doombuilder 2 has no extras. It is simply a tool to create a map.
The extras are provided by the doom port. Because there are so many ports now,
it would be good if can tell us which port you are mapping for,
eg. VanillaDoom, ZDoom, GZDoom, Eternity, Vavoom, etc.

Looking for ports with any of the listed. Can you name those with at least one of the five or name any other significant ones with cool extras and how to use them, where to get them from (etc)
Cheers

"VanillaDoom" is not a port. People just call vanilla Doom the "plain old vanilla" version, that is to say, the original game, unmodified.

ZDoom is this. If you want a port with a lot of extras, you should like it.
GZDoom is a variant of ZDoom with an OpenGL renderer and even more extras.
Eternity is a bit more conservative than ZDoom, but it still has a lot of extras, too. Giving a link shouldn't be needed, it's hosted on these very forums.
Vavoom is this. It, too, has a lot of extras.
Doomsday hasn't been mentioned above, but it has extras, too. Especially graphically speaking.

If you want the very latest versions of ZDoom, GZDoom or Eternity, go here. You can also get the very latest versions of some useful editing utilities, namely Doom Builder 2 and Slade 3. Anyway, whether you get an SVN build or the official version, those are the editing utilities I recommend.

Okay, so now you have your modding tools and an idea where to get some bleeding-edge ports. On to your questions.

1. Custom weapons and monsters. The easiest is probably for you to look into ZDoom. It uses the "DECORATE" content definition and scripting language to create new weapons, new monsters, new powerups, new character classes, and new pretty much anything else that uses sprites. Not only do you have a well-maintained wiki with several tutorials and examples, but there is also a fan site here full of custom monsters, weapons, and more created for that engine. Feel free to look at how they're coded if you want more examples.

2. Signs with texts. You'll pretty much have to make new textures for that. Doom features a way to create "composite" textures from several smaller graphics (called "patches" in the Doom jargon), so you can always add the font character graphics to the list of patches (PNAMES) and then use a texture editor to put the letters on a new texture so as to write your words. Slade can do that.

3. Endless seas. In ZDoom, what you are referring to can be achieved by giving the boundary lines the "line horizon" special effect. Eternity likewise has an "horizon portal" effect.

4. Custom textures. Of course you can. With ZDoom, you don't even need to convert the texture into Doom's native picture format, you can directly use PNG, JPG, TGA, DDS, etc. images directly. (But not BMP. If you've got BMPs, convert them to PNG first.)

5. No, you can't; but there are more general effects available. There are the "Boom generalized linedefs" which are a good start; but in ZDoom you can use new map formats which let you use parameterized line specials instead. So you can use the "Floor raise by value" special, set the activation type to "player cross" (equivalent to W-), leave the "repeat special" checkbox off (equivalent to -R, so by leaving it off you get -1), and for the magnitude of the effect, you choose 128. You can also choose the speed at which it'll move.

Thanks, so I already have ZDoom, but before that I installed the 1994 MS-DOS Doom II, so I have a folder with all that plus the ZDoom application. Where do I enter all the stuff for texture, custom monsters/weapons etc? (That's my own and from Realm 667)
Btw thanks for the help so far, when I logged on I was like OMG I though I was clever for getting this far and knowing this much... :L

It is easy to bite off too much right off the bat, so take it easy at first.

Start off by designing your map with the map editor of your choice, e.g. Doombuilder 2.

To include items such as textures, weapons, monsters, music, etc you need a lump editor such as SLADE 3.

To begin with, let's include a monster from Realm667, which is selfcontained in a wad file.

Open your wad file with SLADE 3. you can drag the file on top of the SLADE 3 icon.
There is now a tab with your map's name.
Then open the wad file with the monster. Now you have two tabs, each showing the name of the wad file.
Switching back and forth between tabs, you can now copy and paste lumps from one wad file into the other.

how to do this?
Click the tab of the monster wad file. Highlight the first lump, scroll to the very bottom, press and hold the shift key and click on the very last lump.
All the lumps are now highlighted and copy them.
Click the tab of your map. Highlight the last entry and paste the copied lumps.
Save your map, which now has the monster included.

Open your new map with the monster in Doombuilder 2.
Select thing mode.
Insert a thing, do not yet click ok.
Scoll down to DECORATE, Select the new monster. You may or may not see an image of the new monster. In either case, now click ok.
Save the map and play it. You should be able to do battle with the new monster.

It seems all a bit longwinded, but doing it will be very fast after the fourth or fifth time. :-)

Addendum:
If you want to add several monsters into your map, then read this

Young Cyberdemon said:

Cheers, but, what's a lump?? :L Lol

Especially young Cyberdemons are known for their brawn and not for their brain. :-)

If you want to learn how to map, then you must start to read up on this stuff.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Entryway

Well, specific to LUMP:
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Lump
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Lump

and also,
in this image,

every data entry is a lump.

To identify the type of some lumps, they are contained between markers, designated by type_START and type_END.

Yeah, well sorry I don't know what a kappes buur is, but in what i've seen so far it's more brain! (At least I could own you in a fight :))

Ok, so this SLADE 3 thing is giving me problems. I downloaded the new one and when I open the application it says that a dll file is missing. Somewhere it says i need two other things. Where can I get them? (Sorry, my doom computer is downstairs and internet doesn't work very well on that)

Young Cyberdemon said:

Somewhere it says i need two other things. Where can I get them? (Sorry, my doom computer is downstairs and internet doesn't work very well on that)

If it works well enough to post here, you can probably find it yourself. Search for the DLL file on google.

Yeah ok i've installed that, msvcp100.dll, msvcr100.dll and even opened and kind of installed it (some install page came up and no extra icon appeared), yet still I get a message reading "The procedure entry point _invalid_parameter_noinfo_noreturn could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCR100.dll."
Everything is in the same folder. Help? :D

Young Cyberdemon said:

Yeah ok i've installed that, msvcp100.dll, msvcr100.dll ...

What exactly have you installed ?
1. the two dll files or
2. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Runtime

If 1, that won't help at all, because then you still are missing other files.

If 2, then you have a problem with your computer, or more accurately your Windows installation.

There are two links given. Which Runtime file did you install ?

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Runtime or
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Runtime

It has to be Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Runtime.

I got the 2010 one.
What should be in my folder? Should I have doom builder, zdoom, installed MS-DOS 1994 version doom II aswell or what? I have the slade stuff +dlls +microsoft 2010 thing (vcredist_x86.exe).

Young Cyberdemon said:

... What should be in my folder? ...

In the SLADE folder only the files extracted from SLADE30b7.

Ok, so you have vcredist_x86.exe, did you run it to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Runtime?

Well, I clicked it and it said either to repair or remove it. Nothing installing.

I have Slade.exe, vcredist_x86.exe, audiere.dll, FreeImage.dll, msvcp.dll, msvcr.dll, SLADE.pdb, slade.pk3 and readme.txt. Is that right?

Young Cyberdemon said:

Oh wait wait wait wait wait... do I need windows 7 for this??

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84#SystemRequirements

Since you mentioned an iffy internet connection, it could be possible that something happened during the download. Check the file size of vcredist_x86.exe. It should be 4.83 MB.
If it is not, then download it again.

Ok ok ok... screw that. I looked in google for help aswell and found XWE and got all monsters merged onto doom2.wad, but I can't make maps with the new monsters with that wad. I followed the instructions on the video. Any suggestions?
The guy used doom builder one, I have two, so I installed the first aswell and tried it on both, but still I don't get that extra icon list at the bottom of things mode.

Young Cyberdemon said:

got all monsters merged onto doom2.wad

You'd have been better of creating a monster resource wad for your project, there's no need to modify the IWAD.

I don't get that extra icon list at the bottom of things mode.

Either you're using the wrong editing config or Doom Builder can't find a DECORATE lump.