Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Young Cyberdemon

Making a custom monster

Ok, I know i've already asked about this, but I've discovered Realm 667 and I want to make my own.
My three questions are:

1. What do I need/requirements to do this?
2. How do I execute this?
3. How do I get it onto their site, this site and then is it playable?

I'm only posting again as i'm getting really confused and I want a separate thread to work this out on.

Young Cyberdemon said:

Ok, I know i've already asked about this, but I've discovered Realm 667 and I want to make my own.
My three questions are:

1. What do I need/requirements to do this?
2. How do I execute this?

There are 2 main aspects to creating a custom monster:
1. Art
2. Behavior

The simplest way of creating the art for a new monster is to rip the frames from another wad or another game, and/or recolor them. [Make sure you first have the permissions to do so.] Alternatively, if you have the talent and the time, you can create the art from scratch. Ask modders such as Vader (who is a fabulous sprite artist) for advice.

You'll need a graphics editing program. GIMP is a decent free program for simple graphic manipulation, but you may need something more powerful (which will likely not be free).

To give the custom monster the desired behavior, you'll need to create a DECORATE definition. Again, the simplest way to do it is to take an existing definition for a monster that is similar to yours, and play with the various behavior aspects. Alternatively, you study the basic elements of a DECORATE definition and create your own composite.

All you need for this is MS Notepad and a lump-editing utility (such as SlumpEd, XWE, or SLADE). In fact, most lump-editing utilities will allow you to create text files as lumps, eliminating the need to work externally with MS Notepad.