Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Progressive Fiction (Hadephobia now on /idgames)

Map30s are pain in the ass. Achieving closure on something like this is what did me in as well.

How would you feel about doing MAP24? I still feel bad you never got a slot and it's about time I accept that A.Gamma is never going to reappear. If you're interested, let me know before starting though as there's a few specifics I need to go over to make sure it fits in with the Hadephobia story.

finished today a full run of 3 afternoons for bug hunting of the megawad... soon i'll post a list of what i like\dislike....

Great, feedback is welcome at any point. I look forward to reading your comments - thanks for taking the time to play and I hope you enjoyed it overall.

purist said:

How would you feel about doing MAP24? I still feel bad you never got a slot and it's about time I accept that A.Gamma is never going to reappear. If you're interested, let me know before starting though as there's a few specifics I need to go over to make sure it fits in with the Hadephobia story.

Send me the context of it. I'll see what I can do.

TheMionicDonut said:

Send me the context of it. I'll see what I can do.

Hope I have your MAP33 (MAP26) credit grave saved in my data.

So, I really don't know what my last update contained, but anyway I'm working snail-speed on the last section:

http://www.mediafire.com/?my8coopfzi46zt8

if you want to skip ahead, just noclip before you get to the teleporting wall :)

EDIT: Just kidding, I moved the start for testing purposes, you'll probably have to cheat ...

EDIT 2: I'm making it WAY different (no cacodemons)

EDIT 3: Different:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/w177u5u7hscy874/progsof2.wad

Downloaded the newest link, will play sometime this week.

Melon, how far are you on with MAP30?

Mionic, did you decide about MAP24? I will offer it up to the community if you're not doing it.

EDIT: @magicsofa - played the last section of MAP32. It's mental. Will the red door be on the marble steps when you're finished? I quite like the concept because it's unusual but it's going to be a difficult one to get on the right side of challenging/frustrating. Especially coming at the end of a quite long level.

I have some ideas for a few things after the steps, but it will be more like a bonus for completing the final battle.

I can't remember at what point I was when I uploaded the file, but I've added a -lot- of health. I'm also considering lowering the damage from lava from 10/20 to 5/10.

I think there was a couple of bezerks and a megasphere, health-wise, in the version I played. Thorough playtesting in this area I think will be the key - as I'm sure you already know.

- Also, milestone post! I am now Senior :-)

Congrats!

I just got back from vacation but I still don't have to work today...time for some mapping!

EDIT: Okay I think this is a pretty-much-done map now...still willing to do some tweaking, and I'd like to add a lot more secrets (already has 7 :D). Most recent changes were adding difficulty settings, and connecting the final exit. Of course it's a wacky teleporter...I hope you don't mind :/

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jqaej3wkjqvbs63

I couldn't sit on my ass without having it done already!

Changed maps

This zip contains the wad Changelog which consists of all five maps of mine with the changes I've made so far and nothing else. Note that some of the changes would require MAP03, MAP08 and MAP14 to be changed, too. However, these are negligible, even considering how merely different MAP07 looks like now from the one I've made sometime back in December 2010.

The Changelog txt file lists up each and every one of the changes I've made. It may be loose in places, but I couldn't remember every little farts of mine I've done to my map. Would it catch your attention that a Gargoyle is offseted by 2 pixels?

purist said:

Downloaded the newest link, will play sometime this week.

Mionic, did you decide about MAP24? I will offer it up to the community if you're not doing it.

EDIT: @magicsofa - played the last section of MAP32. It's mental. Will the red door be on the marble steps when you're finished? I quite like the concept because it's unusual but it's going to be a difficult one to get on the right side of challenging/frustrating. Especially coming at the end of a quite long level.

Community it for now. I wont have time to do this for another month. I thought I had said something to that effect when offering to take the spot. Maybe I didn't, but thats where it stands.

If it doesnt exist in a month, I'll take care of it, but Ive got school stuff right now.

purist said:

Sorry, I didn't actually see this until TheMionicDonut quoted it just now.

I'd like to say that it shouldn't take too much longer, but honestly I think I last said that a few months ago so I don't know if you want to believe it hahaha. Again, apologies for the delay, it really never should have taken anywhere near this long to begin with. I just need to find the inspiration for a few bits here and there.

The level right now is a lot more "final map-y" then the first attempt. It doesn't involve an icon of sin (which was one initial plan I had, but too messy) and it ties in a lot more with your MAP29. It's basically a full rewrite of the previous map although I did salvage that 3 archvile fight you liked.

Got a bug to iron out with a "change texture and effect" tag not doing what I want at all.

Perhaps I should force myself to post a status update each day to ensure that it finally gets released in a timely manner. Some say they work best under pressure, I think I only work under pressure.

MAPPER WANTED!

It's become apparent that A.Gamma is not going to complete MAP24 of this project so I'm offering up that map slot to the community. I'll post here some notes of how the map should be but don't be shy to ask if you have any questions:

Info:

Format:

• The map should work in PRBoom+ and be possible on a UV pistol start without needing to find secrets.
  • Custom resources are not allowed except new music.
  • The map needs to be co-op friendly but deathmatch starts are not essential.
  • Difficulty settings should be implemented.
  • At least 1 secret area should be included.
  • There is a custom SKY3 in place for this episode. See progfic.wad to see it
Story:
  • Since MAP21 the player has been transported to Hell.
  • In MAP22 the player discovers the Baphonet is in the process of being rebuilt.
  • In MAP24 the player is to discover that the green nukage slime is being used to resusitate the Baphonet somehow.
  • By MAP27 the player finds that the source of the nukage is a drilling station that has been teleported into Hell. However the player is too late to stop the flow.
  • Although the plot for the level is already decided the detail has not been written so this will need putting in a text file to accompany the map
Theme:
  • The map should be set in Hell and at somepoint illustrate the nukage flowing to the Baphonet as written in the story.
  • The end of MAP23 should be copied so the transistion between the two levels seamless.
  • Likewise your map should end in such a way that it flows into MAP25.
Gameplay:
  • Difficulty wise the megawad is aiming for a couple of notches above Doom II. There is a gradual upward curve as the megawad progresses so it's a good idea to play at least MAP23 and MAP25 from progfic.wad to guage how difficult to make the level.
  • At this stage in the megawad there's no restriction on monsters. However Spider Masterminds and Cyberdemons are usually placed singulary.
  • There's no restriction on weapons either but if you're placing the BFG make it in a secret area.
  • Remember this project is aiming to work both in continuous play and pistol start so try to account for this in item placement.
Tips:

None of these are essential just ideas that might help!
  • There's not a lot of slaughter in progfic.wad so MAP24 could be a good opportunity address that balance.
  • It would be cool to have a secret BFG very near the start as there's presently not a lot of opportunity for the player to really let loose with the BFG in this megawad.
  • Something else that is under represented in the megawad is the Spider Mastermind so maybe one of those can be put in there somewhere.
  • Referencing other maps in progfic.wad is encouraged but not essential.
  • The main challenge in this map is to illustrate this story within the level without looking goofy. If you look at MAP22, MAP27 and MAP28 in an editor or play them you'll see they all have one area in common, which is a large area housing the baphonet. The area is seen from different angles and cannot actually be acessed. MAP27 shows it directly from behind with nukage flowing towards. My idea to solve the above problem is to have an area in MAP24 directly beneath the MAP27 room.

Well that's all I can think of for now. I hope I haven't put anyone off with this long list but I always find that the more information available the better. Post your interest here!

@magicsofa, Cell, Melon: Thanks for the updates. I have downloaded those levels and will be back with some notes soon.

purist said:

MAPPER WANTED!

... *Talking about MAP24 stuff* ...

Well that's all I can think of for now. I hope I haven't put anyone off with this long list but I always find that the more information available the better. Post your interest here!

Detail tip: maybe an area should be the top of that strange brown & bloodfall drop pit on whose midway MAP25 ends and at whose bottom MAP26 starts. All this locked by a metal grate or stuff like that, indicating that your way is sabotaged once again and made even more difficult.
[EDIT]Shit, that wouldn't work. I regret being so silly here.[/EDIT]

@magicsofa, Cell, Melon: Thanks for the updates. I have downloaded those levels and will be back with some notes soon.

I'd also put my further update forward that PRIMEVAL couldn't really think of an usable soundtrack for MAP26, that's why I would use the one which was used in SCYTHE MAP32: Enoz Soahc.

After a very long time, i finally managed to finish the bug-hunt trough the megawad, and so here's my impressions and other things:

i really like map14 (reminds me of some e2 plutonia levels as layout choices) and map26 (i was trolled from the switches after the yellow skull door), and the other maps are cool too! New graphics and music are really cool....

Bugs found:

MAP06: This wall needs to be aligned.

MAP09: I think these pillars could be better looking if lowered

MAP15: Sectors from 699 to 705 needs to be fixed in height balance (make them on 104 unit height or less), but if them could give some problems on pillars detailing, change the textures from skspine2 to another type of textures (skspine1 or sksnake1 maybe?).

Also, in the same room i found a unused back texture called RDDP01 on lindef 2673, better ge rid off of it...

MAP16: Here needs a ROCK4 textures instead of none

MAP18: lindefs 1983, 1981, 1977 and 1975 needs better aligniment.

MAP20: linedefs 1210, 1213, 1214 and 1216 doesn't needs to be lowered.

MAP27: - Change the RDDP01 textures!
- Change the lower texture of l2846 from step4 to stargr1
- Add a lowered-unpegged effect to the linedefs 2300, 2310, 2290, 2470 and 2292

MAP29: sectors 516 and 517 needs to be lowered on 96 unit height

MAP31: linedefs 2050 and 2052 needs better aligniment.

walter confalonieri said:

After a very long time, i finally managed to finish the bug-hunt trough the megawad, and so here's my impressions and other things

Thanks walter, I'm pleased you liked it and it's encouraging that all the bugs you found were aesthetic and no gameplay issues.

I'm still testing MAP32 so I can feedback to magicsofa and then I need to do the same for Cell's new versions of MAP02, MAP07, MAP13, MAP19 & MAP26 - but after that I will go to work on those fixes.

It's especially interesting to hear what your favourite maps are so far. I agree those two are nice maps but my favourites are probably MAP10 (Excavation Site by A.Gamma) and MAP17 (Communication Tower by Malinku) at the moment.

You don't fancy taking on the last map (MAP24) do you? ^^^

Quoted post that needed to be edited instead. Never mind.

@purist: MAP02 is done in the means, MAP07 is maybe-done, but I'm looking after the other three for another edition, because there are still some vital bugs in them. Considering how many updates they have been done to, I would say that they're part of my essential life-artism so far.

Actually Purist, Ill do MAP27 fixes, it is my map after all. That is, if I can still remember the layout. And I forgot about the text. What should I submit into it?

Thanks Rambosee, but if you change anything else please write a changelog so I can check them.

I think I wrote the text file for you - see the progfic wad. It should have author name (as you want to be credited), map title, music title/author/source (for crediting) and story (which should match the level from start to end).

EDIT: I checked progfic.txt and I have:-

MAP27
Title: Drilling Station
Music:
Author: Rambosee
Story:

...You explore more infernal caves, which seem to claustraphobically close in on you.
You clear out several areas then, in a flash, you are frozen in fear as you're caught unawares by a brief vision of the huge Cybernetic demon, which vanishes as suddenly as it manifested.
After regaining your composure you notice that, entombed in the hot red rock, is what appears to be the walls of a UAC structure.
This must be the refinery.
You are relieved to find the electronic doors still work and enter the densley populated central cavern, which is being drilled for the corrosive green nukage.
It is here that the dreaded guardian of the security key card reappears but, using the rocky arches as cover, you eventually slay them all.
You use the key to access the fiercly guarded control station.
Once you dropped the last of the resistance you look out into the Baphomet's lair where falls of nukage flow and are dejected in the realisation you are probably too late.
A column lowers revealing a teleportation pad.
If any chance of preventing the resurrection of the baphonet is gone your next best hope is to take it face on...
I just haven't noted the music.

So, I seem to have lost the map somewhere in my computer, meaning I have some links to hunt.

And the music of the wad came from the awesome single player slaughter map called Ancient Hatred. Managed to max it on HMP with a lot of save games, a lot of 1 health situations, and 2 rockets left in the entire arsenal. Random facts aside, the map does allow redistribution of it's contents.

Did the author of that wad write the midi or did he source it elsewhere? I can't see it says either way in the text file and I'd feel more comfortable with the midi knowing whoever wrote it is permissive and properly credited.

Rambosee said:

The source to the music is not given. Same with the music.

Just name then the oldest reliable source.

[EDIT]Now that's what I'd call a draw!

I've renovated all three remaining maps of mine, but I've forgotten to update the changelog; the only vital changes I've done to MAP13 and MAP19 would require to re-copy&paste the endings to MAP14 and MAP20, because they were made more eligible and flexible. On the other hand, Pride of the Descent is now perfect as it is, and, luckily, doesn't require neither of the surrounding maps to be modified!

Also, I've decided to re-release the previous, wrong attempt to MAP26, the way I've imagined it and not the way it eventually succeeded. Some more details would be given in the personal project Predestined Mortality.

My work here is done.[/EDIT]

Rambosee said:

The source to the music is not given. Same with the music.

I emailed the author and he's confirmed the midi is "Two Tides" by Spencer Nilsen from the game Ecco 2 - Tides of Time.

For some reason I feel more at ease using the midi now but I can't qualify that reasoning. At least it can be properly credited.

magicsofa said:

Okay I think this is a pretty-much-done map now.

Sorry for the delay. MAP32 is a very good level, though it is a little too long to my tastes (any of the three thirds could have been expanded to one map). It feels out of kilter to the rest of the megawad somehow too but overall it will be worth it's place with a few tweaks. Here's my notes:

32.1 - As I said in my notes to your first draft - I expected MAP32 to be more hellish after seemingly being dragged into the underworld at the end of MAP32. I love the abstract tech look of the start of the map but the progression from MAP32 takes a bit of a hit as a result. Make sure this is smoothed over in your story text.

32.2 - You need a story.txt. Also, are you having new music?

32.3 - The liberal amount of hitscanners in the first third makes it a bit of lottery as to how much health you lose. It's survivable though so it can stay.

32.4 - Both cell weapons could do with being moved into more obvious locations since the map is (surely) impossible without finding them and it's quite possible the player might miss one or even both.

32.5 - the "exit" door near the arachnatrons looks offest. The little door to the swich near the water in the same area would benefit by looking more significant - like make the doorway bigger for example.

32.6 - You should clear the barrels away from the area you teleport to at the beginning of the second third. It's too far into the level to have a deathtrap like that.

32.7 - The central damaging floor needs to be lava, brown sludge or nukage for consistency as I think that flat has been used as a non-damaging floor in other maps.

32.8 - Though the megasphere in this area is certainly helpful I wouldn't mind playing a version of this area where it was removed and 6-8 extra medikits and a blue armour were placed instead - just so your recovery is distributed more evenly accross the area.

32.9 - It's annoying when you're blasting away with your RL and a monster warps directly in front of you, but I don't see how you can address this without changing what makes this area so great.

32.10 - I would move a few cells from earlier in the map to the cyb area.

32.11 - the last third is spectacular, great job. I kind of ambled through it without much purpose and dumbly stumbled accross the exit but there's enough health and opportunity to escape the lava to prevent this being frustrating. In a way I kind of wish your map was built around this area but saying that I would miss the second third if you did.

32.12 - The teleport to the final (MAP15) area is not ideal but it will do. I would prefer it to give the illusion that there was more to that area than an entrance teleporter. That it was more linked to the rest of the base.

32.13 - The final area itself is a little empty - just the one Lost Soul! It's not a big problem but it does feel anti-climatic after the last fight. You should at least put the trees back in there.

Cell said:

My work here is done.

We'll see about that :-) I've downloaded your updates and I'll post some notes at some point.