Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Progressive Fiction (Hadephobia now on /idgames)

Just FYI, Grain of Salt hasn't posted in 2 months and now apparently retconned her entire post history in any thread that hasn't been locked. I can't say whether or not she's left the community, but given the fact that she seemed repeatedly annoyed with threads/members over on EE, it doesn't seem promising. Someone will have to try and pick up the Map30 slack should that be the case.

I didn't know of that, I've not been very thorough on EE lately.

Anyway, GoS and I are still in touch. All is not lost yet...

PRIMEVAL has kindly offered to make some original music for the project. He's already made some really cool tracks but is usually quite busy so there's not guarantee the offer will stand for long.

If you'd like one of your progfic maps to have original music please state the mapslot, link to the map and a brief description of how you'd like the music to sound. If you don't have a link I should be able to sort one out.

I need some stuff to do, so if it's alright, I'd like to offer my services as well should PRIMEVAL find himself overloaded or whatever. :) I've been sort-of-following this project for a while and I really love it so far. :)

Awesome, welcome back Jimmy :-)

I've asked PRIMEVAL to take MAP24 so you could take the next request. Eventually, we'll need an end title theme as well and it would be great if you could oblige since you did the title theme - but we're not quite decided on our ending yet...

Jimmy91 is your offer of music still open? I asked magicsofa what his plans were music-wise for MAP32 a while ago and I've not had a response. I don't think he'd want the stock Doom 2 music for that slot so I'd appreciate if you'd oblige.

Here's a link to the map/story: Sirenum Scopuli

The following maps also use still use stock music.

MAP17 Communication Tower by Malinku
MAP19 Satan's Fortress by Cell
MAP27 Drilling Station by Rambosee

If the authors of these maps want to keep the stock music let me know otherwise I'll take the next offer for new music for these maps too.

Meanwhile, here's V2 of my MAP24 level Lifeblood. Comments/critism are welcome. There's probably improvements that can be made before it goes in the megawad.

I happen to know that MAP25 is almost done and MAP30 is being worked on. Shouldn't be too long before this is done.

Great to hear that the finish is coming! Amazing...it was started about 1,5 years ago and I was new here in that times.

I've had not further comments on MAP24 so I've assumed it's good to go in. I'm not bothering to upload the latest version of Hadephobia as we're only two maps from the end so I might as well wait until it's ready for full playtesting.

In other news...

• Grain of Salt has recently updated me on MAP30 but I can't say how soon it will be done.
  • I'm hoping for Melon to update me on MAP25 soon but the changes needed to complete the map are fairly minor so I wouldn't mind finishing for the sake of getting it in the megawad.
  • PRIMEVAL has provided the project with a cool new midi for MAP17.
  • Jimmy91 is working on new music for MAP32.
  • Scaliano has done some work on a replacement Keen sprite.
Still needed are new graphics for the BOSSBACK, CREDIT and possibly ENDOOM screens, as well as end music but I can't move on this until the levels are done.

After this I will be asking for 3 - 4 playtesters to test the final version, then finally, I will ask 3 guest demo-runners to replace the demos and I'll finish writing the text files.

purist: I downloaded your map, hoping to provide some feedback...

I won't lie, 50 seconds in I yelled "fucking bullshit!" as, around every corner, more monsters I'm unused to fighting in such numbers, appeared.

Sorry I couldn't've been more help. Clearly, this map is for stronger Doomers than I. [:

What skill level? If you found it frustratingly hard in HNTR I'll make changes in difficulty settings as I don't want to isolate anyone. I know UV is beatable without saves or secrets as it's been playtested my me, Melon and Vaporizer.

Wouldn't the ENDOOM screen just use Map31's music? Or is there a way to change that that's not MapInfo/ZDoom?

purist said:

The following maps also use still use stock music.
(...)
MAP19 Satan's Fortress by Cell
(...)
If the authors of these maps want to keep the stock music let me know otherwise I'll take the next offer for new music for these maps too.

Certainly, the MAP19 feeling is helped by Shawn's got the Shotgun alot.

Here's the track I've done for MAP32 - it's a metal remix of "Blood Jungle" from TNT, which is a great song but overused. I tried to explore its musical themes a bit more and expand upon what was already there.

Dead in the Water (3:48)

Hope it fits alright. :)

I like it and the bit that sounds a little Euro beat starting around 2:00 made me smile :-)

I've not added it to the WAD yet but I'm sure it will fit. Thank You.

I'm guessing you can't have new music for the story text screens? That was going to be my next request.

I found this soundtrack incredibly "happy" related to how suspective and sinister its name is.

I like it but I think the guitar could do with a slightly slower tempo. More importantly, it doesn't loop as seamlessly in game as it needs to for such a short track. Making it a bit longer would be just as good a fix, even if it was effecively just repeating.

It's in the beta for now still. Are you titling it or should I just credit you with D_READ_M music?

@Cell I'll leave MAP19's music alone then. I either didn't realise or forgot you left it as stock music by design.

I think that's pretty much all for music then. Just need MAP30 to be completed and the beta can go out.

purist said:

I like it but I think the guitar could do with a slightly slower tempo. More importantly, it doesn't loop as seamlessly in game as it needs to for such a short track. Making it a bit longer would be just as good a fix, even if it was effecively just repeating.

It's in the beta for now still. Are you titling it or should I just credit you with D_READ_M music?

How odd, loops perfectly fine for me in my music program. I'll probably add more for it, and I'll come up with a title soon.

purist said:

@Cell I'll leave MAP19's music alone then. I either didn't realise or forgot you left it as stock music by design.

I think that's pretty much all for music then. Just need MAP30 to be completed and the beta can go out.

Thanks, I'm glad. Moreover, I'm willing to make all the necessary changes not to release the beta with those lame last-finished attepts of my maps (especially MAP02 and MAP07 - they're horribly minimalist related to their next, still rejected release).

MAP02 and MAP07 aren't lame but you're welcome to submit updated versions provided you do so before I'm ready to release the beta otherwise I'll include the remixes you last sent instead. The comments I PM'd you are still my recommendations but I'm not going to hold up the beta or final release any more than I have to.

I will release the first full beta for Hadephobia on 22nd of September. Other than MAP30 I consider all maps releasable (with the caveat that MAP25 has an unfinished, but unbroken, co-op only area). However, I would appreciate 3 or 4 dedicated playtesters to go through the set (perhaps one per skill level) and report any bugs or suggestions. Please post here if you're interested in doing this for me.

Mappers, I will include your most recent versions in the beta so if you want to make any changes to your levels make sure you upload and link me to your new version prior to the beta release date. You will need to include a changelog with your updated map so I can quickly re-check it.

Planned release date for Hadephobia is 22nd of October, which would make a nice birthday present for me :-)

purist said:

Planned release date for Hadephobia is 22nd of October, which would make a nice birthday present for me :-)

That would be great for you, but I suppose the 1st of November, that means the second anniversary of the project could be more significant.
However, as far as the theoretical author of the project (Katamori) celebrates his birthday on the same day, I have no other opposition against the decision.

purist said:

Me too! Even if I'm not sure that I'll be able to try it immediately.

Time to play name that tune!

I'm trying to write the Hadephobia credit file and need to check on a couple of tracks:

First up is Melon's music selected for MAP25. He's not said what it's called - anyone recognise where this has been borrowed from?

Cell, your original MAP26 attempt used this track, which I've not noted the origin of. Anyway, I seem to remember you wanting to use the music from MAP32 in Scythe - am I right? Scythe's text file does not credit the music it uses but according to the wiki it is CRUCIBR from Hexen, which was composed by Kevin Schilder. I don't have Hexen but the Scythe MAP32 music does not resemble Bright Crucible. Can anyone shed any light?

EDIT: If anyone who has contibuted to the project wants to be credited by a particular name let me know otherwise you will be credited by your Doomworld username.

I'll playtest it. I'll try HMP and play through each map with a pistol start. I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

That's great, thanks Cacatou. I'll PM you a reminder when the full beta goes out on 22nd Sept. Please also remember that Hadephobia is designed for continual play so this working well is almost as important as pistol starting.

EDIT: I'd still like at least one other playtester volunteer to play on UV. I will run through on HNTR to make sure difficuly settings are in place throughout and there's nothing silly like missing keys or voodoo dolls in this skill.

purist said:

First up is Melon's music selected for MAP25. He's not said what it's called - anyone recognise where this has been borrowed from?

Midi file info says it's from Eternal Darkness.

purist said:

Cell, your original MAP26 attempt used this track, which I've not noted the origin of. Anyway, I seem to remember you wanting to use the music from MAP32 in Scythe - am I right? Scythe's text file does not credit the music it uses but according to the wiki it is CRUCIBR from Hexen, which was composed by Kevin Schilder. I don't have Hexen but the Scythe MAP32 music does not resemble Bright Crucible. Can anyone shed any light?

EDIT: If anyone who has contibuted to the project wants to be credited by a particular name let me know otherwise you will be credited by your Doomworld username.

1. The first attept's soundtrack was named as Give In With Pleasure and was composed by Mark Anthony Klem for Memento Mori II MAP03: And Hell Beneath. Also, I've listened to that certain musictrack from Hexen and the most accurate assumption of mine is that it was a rendition of CRUCIBR or a composition inspired by it... Well, the author is still not clear.

2. Irrelevant

Edited by Cell : Edited out irrelevant info