Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Progressive Fiction (Hadephobia now on /idgames)

Vaporizer said:

Advertising in PMs? No thanks.

Okay but I don't know any other ways of promotion of the project...

I agree, advertising in PMs is proved to be cheesy. We must take into consideration that there are loads of another communities and only a few people who are able to participate in 2-3 of them in the same time (and these have already participated in 2-3 communities altogether). However, if only we 7 do the stuff together, maybe all of us will be able to grafity himself (/herself?) in mapping and nobody will be bored in the next 8-9 months in his (/her?) free time.

I'm sure most people who visit the WADs & MODs board have seen this thread so it doesn't really need any further advertising. I assume the lack of interest is either due to MAP09 being too far ahead to plan your free time around or it being an inconvenient week. Either that or the concept doesn't appeal or everyone's already busy.

Never mind. 7 mapper are enough in any case. If we don't have anyone new to take MAP09 by the time we're working on say MAP06 or MAP07 I'll take it. I was hoping to spread mappers out over the 4 'episodes' of Doom2 (the episodes being the sections split by intermission texts) but it's not crucial by any means.

I wonder how Melon is getting on in that sewer!

Agreed with. Maybe some of the yet "outside viewers" are planning to apply for #9, but they're confused. One is because I've finished my map in advance, so let's say they might be available in that week the MAP09 slot was planned for, but if it's taken earlier, they're not certain whether they can deal with it or not.

If the lack of people eventually becomes a problem couldn't we just make it less than 32 maps long? I don't see why this is a big issue at the moment.

purist said:

I wonder how Melon is getting on in that sewer!

The level is coming along fine. I'm running into my usual problem of thinking things aren't good enough and then I start thinking about deleting stuff, which is probably why I've yet to ever finish a single player map. I'm still on track for Tuesday, I just need to set aside my doubts and just crack on.

I'm struggling with detail and texture usage, I sort of know what theme I want but I'm finding it hard to keep it looking interesting. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

Melon said:

If the lack of people eventually becomes a problem couldn't we just make it less than 32 maps long? I don't see why this is a big issue at the moment.

Urgh. I just can't stand something that is halfway work. I didn't like the concept in 1Monster either, there were only 25 maps instead of 32. Why the hell would we stop it after 20-25 maps if it can be 32 with just a more little effort?

The level is coming along fine. I'm running into my usual problem of thinking things aren't good enough and then I start thinking about deleting stuff, which is probably why I've yet to ever finish a single player map. I'm still on track for Tuesday, I just need to set aside my doubts and just crack on.

I'm struggling with detail and texture usage, I sort of know what theme I want but I'm finding it hard to keep it looking interesting. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

Anyway, nice to hear this. I was sure I didn't make such a rubbish ending that no-one is able to continue. Keep it up!

Well, in case any prospective contributors are in any doubt: I won't change the date slots to bring them earlier - even if people are finishing their maps early. I won't stop mappers starting thier map early if the previous one is completed early but I won't insist they finish early too. The extra time to work with is just a bonus.

I agree with Cell that I would hate this to turn out to be halfway work. Especially due to the nature of the project being a story. It would be a huge shame if it just ended abruptly. That said - halfway work does not mean less than 32 maps. As the long the story feels complete and well rounded it doesn't matter on the amount of maps. The only thing to note about using less than 32 maps is there would need to be an understanding from the remaining contributers where it's going to end so the story and progression can be geared towards the finale. Like Melon said, it's not a big issue right now. Lets concentrate in building maps.

I obviously have a vested interest in Melon's map though I have deliberately avoided making suggestions as I don't want to influence the outcome knowing my map is next. All I will say is remember to pay attention to the story as well as the map - think of your text file as a chapter in a novel. Progress the story, add elements and end making the reader (player) want to read (play) on!

Let's take it easy until I start my second map. The concept of having 24-25 maps instead of 32 sounds still sadly for me, but wait, nothing is wasted yet. Why do we need to make dark predictions for something that likely won't even happen?

Can't wait for Tuesday or Wednesday, when the story goes on.

Well it's one thing soliciting random Doomworld members to join and another to remind someone about the project who had previously shown an interest. He did ask to be told if it happens.

I won't make a habit of it.

Well, the issue with Kirby sounds like a relief. A number of members between 8 and 10 are fair enough.
However, if slots #9-#11 are sold out, I'm up to #12.

I hate the idea that quality could be measured in number of maps. I'd rather have five good levels than 1000 bad ones

Nobody said that it will be "1337, WOW, Glassyman, Terry, Rangex and Mattbratt11 thrown together". Depends on mappers and their ideas. I must say that almost everybody is a quality mapper here. Well, it can be released as ready as 1Monster was, but keeping ourselves to the original, 32 maps concept would be way better and hope that everybody will take his work seriously. It's my short opinion.

The project will continue until we reach 32 maps or we stop filling map slots. That's the top and bottom of it. You can't make anyone map for a project if they don't want to and it's not the sort of project that can continue with just 2 or 3 contributors. When it looks like interest is dead I'll ask the last placed mapper to wind up the story and if that is before MAP30 I might do an "ending" map.

This discussion is happening a lot earlier than I thought it would. Too early for it to be practical at this stage. There's at least another 6 maps to be made over the next 6 or 7 weeks plus probably another 3 more after that since me, Cell and Vaporizer have all confirmed interest in making extra maps (probably in that order). We need more contributors to carry on after that.

Vaporizer said:

Who isn't? :(

I'm just not certain. Of course, I'd say "EVERYBODY" if I have known the others' mapping abilities well.

As for the arguments: keep thinking, nothing is wasted yet. Surely, doesn't anyone want to take more than one map? It seems to be quite an experience "I've just dropped something in and in the next moment, I'm gone". Well... it isn't mentioned that once you've participated, you must be an organic part of the community, with at least 3 or 4 maps. Still taking into consideration that not everybody is supposed to control when he has some free time, I'd say that it's understandable why mappers have dropped after MAP08, because MAP09 is quite far, maybe it will be in progress even in '11.
However, the issue with Kirby is still on topic. And I hope these arguments won't disappoint Melon to stop working in the community. We need everyone who have participated once!

Cell said:

Well... it isn't mentioned that once you've participated, you must be an organic part of the community, with at least 3 or 4 maps.

No. Contributors are free to make just one map if they want. Can we please delay this discussion for at least a month? There's not much more that can be said on the subject and it will all be academic anyway if we get another spate of mappers interested in taking slots in the next few weeks.

Back to more immediate concerns: I can't wait to see what Melon does with his map and the story so I can decide what to do with my slot.

Vaporizer said:

By the way I feel that this song would really fit on a sewer level.

DN3D E1L6 is something that begins in the sewers, so it's doubtless.
Heh... this WAD doesn't start too happily, huh? The songs for the first 3 levels are all so ominous and sinister...

Well... it isn't SAID that once you've participated, you must be an organic part of the community, with at least 3 or 4 maps.

Fixed. Just a misunderstanding because I meant it in this way.

EDIT: I misunderstood your meaning. You're correct in saying there's no stipulation on the amount of maps you have to make if you want to join.

Pretty chatty the thread became in the progress of MAP03.
I'm wondering what your thoughts were during those two and a half days while I was doing the second map :D

Well it was a quick 2 and a half days! I was ironing out the last few changes to Katamori's level and re-writing his story then before I knew it you had finished.

Other than that I suppose my thoughts are the same as they have been (and will be) for the other maps - curiosity about where you would take the story and what how you will set it up for the next mapper.

*Nods* I was doing it fast because I felt a phobia of finishing late. It was a feeling like a whole community counts on me and that everything stands still or ruins just depends on me on that week. I was wondering why I can't go on with my personal project as well in this rapidity, and I got two reasons:
1. It's started in the beginning of May, and, of course, it's quite huge now, so saving consumes half-a-life every time
2. I feel no inspiration for going on with so fast, except for those 8 playtesters.
Enough for "self-promotion". Now, I keep up waiting for the sewer.

Well you won't need to wait much longer, because here's my preliminary attempt, arrived before I'm even supposed to start!

I say preliminary attempt because this is my first single player map ever, and so it would be super awesome if anyone were kind enough to give me some feedback on my level (you can be harsh, I don't mind!) Technically I have a week to play test it and fix it up, although Purist should be able to get a head-start on his map too. Just bear in mind that it's supposed to be played leading on from Cell's level, ammo is extremely tight on UV from a pistol start. I hope the difficulty is OK. I also think that some areas might be bland detail-wise, but I really struggle with detail at the moment, hopefully it's something I'll eventually get the hang of with practice.

When making the blue key room, I kept getting all sorts of wierd node builder problems, such as invisible walls and some walls being rendered as full bright "slime-trails". It seems to have magically fixed itself so I don't know what was going on, hopefully these issues have gone forever.

Purist, I'll give you the story tomorrow, I'm tired at the moment and am off to bed. The level ends in a pipe that leads outside to a river where the sewage is being dumped. I didn't want the player to be able to see too much of the outside area to give you more freedom in what you do with it, however I'm totally cool with you changing the part you can see at the end of my level to fit yours if you want to redesign it, unless you consider that cheating? As far as my playtesting goes, I hope most of the changes will be cosmetic, so it shouldn't affect you if you want to start your level now.

Here you go: kieranmillar.com/doom/sewers.zip

Level name : The Stench of Freedom

I have no preferences for the music, you can change it to anything you want. I think the standard MAP03 music fits quite well anyway.

Good news and bad news...

@Marnetmar: It's a shame you have to pull out. Is there a problem with the dates of your map slot? If so we could move things around a bit but if not hopefully you will be able to rejoin us at a later date and I will ask if Vaporizer can take MAP06 instead of (or as well as?) MAP08?

EDIT: I've changed the thread name to hopefully attract new mappers.

@Melon: I will playtest your map tonight and feedback anything I find. Don't worry too much about the ammo. MAP01 & 2 left the player with quite a surplus so it's good it'll be whittled down a bit. It's OK being tight on ammo in pistol start as long as there's enough.

I will probably start mapping tomorrow as my map will depend on your story (where is Doomguy escaping too? Has he got a plan or some sort of mission in mind? Maybe at this stage he's just concentrating on escaping the hospital and I will have to make those decisions).
If your map ends in an out-pipe pumping into a lake I suppose I'll start my map wherever he swims to/washes up. In any case I won't modify the end of your map to suit me. That would be cheating a bit.