Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Progressive Fiction (Hadephobia now on /idgames)

I think you're safe to expect the player to have fired before hitting that switch. Without playing again wasn't there three sergeants in that room? If the player is willing to take thier hits for the sake of escaping a few teleporting imps fair play to him.

I'm interested to see what changes you'll make to increase the difficulty. Please be subtle as you're not too far off the right track. I remember now them chaingunners come out of closets. I think you know which ones I mean. I predict most players will die first time here as you're swiss cheese by the time you realise they're there.

Anyway, Looks like we're on the same wavelength with most points. Good work with this map Vaporizer.

@Cell: I noted that the MAP06-07 intermission text needs further alignment. I'll do it ready for the next upload.

I've got a rough layout and a couple of ideas for set pieces for MAP09 in my head. I'm going to get started in Doombuilder tonight.

Good luck, purist! I was impressed by MAP04 so I wouldn't be wrong when saying MAP09 is definitely gonna be great.

BTW, when will it be time to find a custom titlepic and maybe change the intermission screen flats? With the originally set flats - SLIME16, RROCK14, etc. (even if the intermission text is changed) -, the WAD would look like a halfway work...

Thanks Cell. I'll try to work to your expectations!

When the maps are done I think we will need a new TITLEPIC and credit screen. We'll have to do it at the end though as it's unamed at present. So far, I'm liking the name Hadephobia (it means a fear of Hell) but it will depend on the story. Credits will just be a list of authors and what maps they did.

Good idea about the intermission flats. Something relating to the map before would work. A new INTERPIC and even a new HUD would be nice too. Again, all this can wait for now.

I was just thinking about it when it came across me... never mind. We still have - let's see - one slot to fill and then, further 24 maps to create and three of the maps aren't ready yet. We have plenty of time thinking of a title as Progressive Fiction is just the working title of the project itself, but the name "Hadephobia" kinda represents some of the levels completed so far - the cause why Doomguy had to be kept in the asylum, the reason for that huge infestation on MAP05 (though Magicsofa said it's just the cause of a brain illness), the reason you must go underground and make it past a mine... anything.
If the bigger amount of maps in the five-map second episode are actually in the mine or at least underground, I suggest either FLAT5_7 or FLAT5_8, for the MAP11-12 intermission screen, but IMO RROCK13 is a better choice as it looks like a mined rock. Just in advance, you shouldn't hurry at all!

purist said:

Thanks Cell. I'll try to work to your expectations!

When the maps are done I think we will need a new TITLEPIC and credit screen. We'll have to do it at the end though as it's unamed at present. So far, I'm liking the name Hadephobia (it means a fear of Hell) but it will depend on the story. Credits will just be a list of authors and what maps they did.

Good idea about the intermission flats. Something relating to the map before would work. A new INTERPIC and even a new HUD would be nice too. Again, all this can wait for now.

I can do the HUD!

Vaporizer said:

Even though I made MAP06 only few weeks ago, I've already gained much more experience as a mapper, and I'm disappointed with my MAP06. I've decided to do the ship map. Here is an updated Progfic.wad (named progfic2.wad to prevent overwriting) with updated version of MAP07, with a sea, sky and the ship in the horizon. I hope this is okay, purist and Cell.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3pdck70exn7k4bh

I should be busy on MAP09 but I couldn't resist a peek. I can't imagine Cell having any issue with your change to MAP07 as it's very subtle. I'm glad you're redoing MAP06 as based on MAP08 you can do better than your first attempt. I say go ahead with it - I'm looking forward to it.

I gave MAP08 a quick playthrough. I can't say anything about the gamplay as I just IDDQD'd through it for time saving - someone else will have to feedback on that for you. No problems with the aesthetic changes - except to say the midtex around the podium in the room directly after the red door still could do with posts at their ends. Also, you misunderstood what I meant about the damaging floor. I meant to put it around the podium not in the blue key room as the easy way out of fighting the baron was to run out the room - now because of the nukage you're even more encouraged to do so.

@A.Gamma: Good stuff. Nothing too radical - I was thinking of just a recolour but knock something up and I'll put it to the team. If you get the consensus of approval we'll put it in.

Just posting an update in case anyone is wondering where I am with MAP09. So far, I've mapped out every area except for the exit area but most areas will need more work at some point and the THING placement isn't quite right yet.

Here's a pic:

If I get chance to work on it tomorrow I might have a finished first draft to upload for A.Gamma to start early on.

Unrelated: I've decided to name MAP08 Sub-Station. It's simple, but works with the map on several levels.

purist said:

...@A.Gamma: Good stuff. Nothing too radical - I was thinking of just a recolour but knock something up and I'll put it to the team. If you get the consensus of approval we'll put it in.

Here are, some of the HUDS I made, it will be great if one of those could be used in the project, although if you don't like them i can make something more "classic"

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=28033

A.Gamma said:

Here are, some of the HUDS I made, it will be great if one of those could be used in the project, although if you don't like them i can make something more "classic"

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=28033

They look good, but more as an alternative someone might use to the normal HUD rather than a replacement. I agree with Vaporizer that if we're replacing the HUD rather than offering an option it should more resemble the original. I was thinking along the lines of how Alien Vendetta or Scythe 2 subtly change it to be more personal to the PWAD. Also, I'm not sure how HUD replacements work but it will need to work in PRBoom+ & Legacy as well as ZDoom.

@Vaporizer: Thanks. It's playable from start to end now. It needs a bit of work to look prettier and some eastern areas will probably be re-worked but I'm going to concentrate on the exit path (will be from the corridor most southernly) so A.Gamma can get a headstart and the pressure is off me to deliver then.

Vaporizer said:

Also, I'd say that something more classic for HUD would be nice.

Agreed with. The progressive flow itself is also a classic feature, dating back to - let's see - '95's game, Duke Nukem 3D, where the levels had their starting points at the same point the previous level ended. It's the oldest game using this and I know about, but some platform games, back to the eighties, might had had this feature, too.

Also, if the project's final name is "Hadephobia", we'll have to do the HUD according to the title, e.g. HR had its HUD completely red, showing it's truly Hell Revealed and not just an immature childish joke. What colours and features does Hadephobia go with?

@purist: I can't judge maps from their automap view, but this one just has to be excellent. Keep it up!

Hadephobia is a fear of Hell. Since our Megawad is set after Doom II: Hell on Earth I think the condition would have become quite common. My thoughts are that the official reason Doomguy was committed to the asylum was due to being diagnosed with Hadephobia (though the UAC's real reason was to exploit his psychic-link to the mastermind) hence the title.

My preference would be a darker, meaner HUD. But simply looking cool is just as important :-)

Here's my first draft of MAP09 - it's mine.wad

http://www.hellbent.iwarp.com/box_widget.html

I still plan to work on it some more but I will be busy today and tomorrow so I'm posted it as is. It's playable and there's enough for A.Gamma to get started with. Even though it's unfinished don't let that stop you from suggesting improvements.

One thing that is really bugging me are the Revs behind the blue skull bars. They're deaf and wall facing so they shouldn't wake until attacked but they do as soon as you approach them. I've lessened the problem by moving the room but it still bothers me.

A.Gamma:You're up! Treat the extra days as a bonus if you can use them. I've not written the story but your map will be set where the last faction of Hell was trapped during the Hell on Earth invasion in Doom 2. A subterranean Hell-hole. TheMionicDonut's MAP11 will be the showdown with the Spider Mastermind so you'll have to end your map leading up to that.

purist said:

My preference would be a darker, meaner HUD. But simply looking cool is just as important :-)

My idea was actually a blackish-red shade for the original HUD. But let the flow decide how this will be happening.
Purist, now you can say doubtlessly: "The mine is actually mine!" :D

[EDIT] I tried your map. If I didn't see that flattening-into-uppertexture bug near the end, I wouldn't even say or consider it is unfinished... but an advice: you should never make platforms lower unpegged - how does it look? :D
The other advice: I see you wanted to make the impression those wooden boxes in the blue key area are fully filled by grit and mined pebbles, but it just looks meh with the same height of the border of the box. Lower it by at last 4 mapunits (-8 looks the best), and it will be more realistic. [/EDIT]

Here's my attempt at a final draft of MAP09.

http://www.hellbent.iwarp.com/box_widget.html

If anything needs fixing let me know. If nothing major needs re-working I'll include it in progfic.wad and playtest MAP08 some more since nobody else has reported on Vaporizer's revised draft. It looked there or thereabouts on my last playthrough so hopefully I can add MAP08 to the .wad too.

I've also been thinking about graphic replacements. I think I'll use the BOSSBACK graphic for the INTERPIC screens. Looks nicely ominous and creepy - as though the bamphonet is watching over you as you progress.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I've written the story for MAP08 and MAP09. I'm not overly happy with them but they'll do for now. Also, I'd like some advice on music for MAP09. I'm just using the original Doom 2 music for my map because I'm rubbish at picking music.

Now looks even greater! Still has some work to do with it...
Music would cause a lil problem to me, too... but let's see. The layout, visuals, etc. are still quite techbase-reference like, how about TNT #14?

Still has some work to do? Let me know what and I'll see what I can do :-)

I'm not keen on TNT14's music but thanks for the suggestion. On the subject of music do some maps share music on Doom 2 like they do in Doom 1?

The ceiling in the nukage area is HOMmed/flattened and one of the upper textures uses a "404 texture".
Blue key area - the wooden containers have wrong offsets, especially at those points where the linedefs are split by the lightlines.
The "molten silver" secret with the plasma rifle is divided into 13 separate sectors, so you must visit each one in order to get 100% of them. 5 of these sectors can't be visited without cheating.
More or less, these are the ones I've ecountered during the playtest.

Thanks Cell. I've leveled the ceilings in the lava and nukage areas, aligned the wooden crates, removed the excess secret special tags, fixed lighting under the doors, played about with the lost souls in the corridor before the blue key room, lowered the manc's ceiling and changed some things in the red key room.

If anything else occurs to you, let me know. Have you played Vaporizer's second draft of MAP08 yet by the the way? I plan to playtest it more thoroughly but I've already raised a couple of points that haven't been commented on yet.

Well, the MAP08 is kinda fair just after the brutalism of both MAP06 and MAP07. The addition of those friggin' Revenants didn't bother me either, it just appeals to the difficulty itself. During my first playthrough, I didn't ecounter that Plasmarifle secret which was transformed into a Backpack secret, and the only thing to mention is the Baron trap with nukage which is a bit disturbing; the liquid would have looked better around the podium according to my opinion as well - even though it would have seemed to be a partial copy of Doom's E1. I suppose it was actually you who mentioned this issue.

Off: what about magicsofa? The winter holiday is over. I could imagine (and I wish it wasn't true) he would have quitted out of the project not said yet, but then, what about MAP32 which was also taken by him?