Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Progressive Fiction (Hadephobia now on /idgames)

Cell said:

MAP21 is a bit farther, but the role comes in less than a month. As far as I know, Malinku have already started off MAP17, that means two weeks for my next map. I really hope that he won't be too late and neither Snakes: my mapping time should be done as an initial draft between 21 and 26 March, as I'm leaving for Turkey in the afternoon of 27 March and

Next week is looking pretty light for my schedule, so I should be able to conjure something up. So long as Malinku manages to give me a good idea of how to start, it should be okay.

NoneeLlama said:

I'd like to be the back-up mapper for map 22.

Done, thanks NoneeLlama. Slot list/thread title updated. TrueDude will let us know nearer the time if he has to pull out.

i'll made some of the changes you asked on the feedback post, miss some teleport monster action after the red key card...

I'm not very far on my map only have a few rooms. (busy week so far)
I should be able to do a lot more on the map this weekend.

OK Malinku. I don't know if it suits your mapping style but it might help Snakes if you map out your layout without spending too much time detailing individual rooms except the exit. That way the bare bones of the map are there and the exit is ready for Snakes to start from. You can then add more detail, secrets, gameplay and maybe extra areas etc after your week slot. Oh and try to knock up a story text before the end of the week so we can see where you're taking us thematically.

For anyone bothered I've uploaded a newer version of progfic.wad. It has no extra maps than the previous version but it does have some more dehacked work, the new SKY2 and I've updated MAP15 a bit. It's at the usual link: http://www.hellbent.iwarp.com/box_widget.html

Here is my super unfinished map http://www.sendspace.com/file/4mb8p4
I have no monsters weapons or other items. The detail is only finished at the exit the rest is just green brick and homs (in the first inside room). The exit is falling into last cliff area.
For the idea of a tower I used a teleporter to simulate a room over room effect. (why the very back of the first inside room is pitch black)

Story:
Look in the download.

This is what I get for forgetting to allow enough time for this.

Ok, I dowloaded it and will write a review soon...

Uh, that's pretty blandly unfinished! Those huge open areas will definitely going to be a pain in the ass to decorate properly.

Thanks Malinku. Hopefully Snakes has enough to go on and get started on MAP18. The two of you can always collaborate on the end of MAP18 / start of MAP19 if there's any doubt.

I downloaded and took a look. I can't really comment on the wad itself as I expect the finished level will be incomparable to the draft you've uploaded for now. In terms of texture theme the episode so far is UAC building that have been taken over by Hell. You can decide for yourself which should be most predominant in your map. Also, try to illustrate the story in the level. So, in the communication station area you could show where the equipment has been removed, for example.

The story could do with a little more elaboration. Particulary, concerning the building that will be MAP18. What is the building for and why is Doomguy going there? What is Doomguy's motive now attempts to connect to the outside world have been severed? Also, you need to name your map. Snakes will name his own map.

some news:
added teleport stations for monsters after pick up the the red key and after the metal base locked door switch (instead of red skull key), also
now monsters is in HR-style difficulty (medium monsters instead of easy monster, like chaingunners, pain elementals and revenant), stay tuned for more.

The mapslots for the progressive fiction project are currently full but we're still looking for help with artwork for the megawad. In particular:

TITLEPIC

The megawad starts in an asylum for people suffering from Hadephobia (which is the megawad's title). I thought a great idea for the TITLEPIC would therefore be an evil looking inkblot. Here's my proof of concept:

INTERPIC

I've been using the BOSSBACK image for a placeholder as I like the impression it gives of the bamphonet looking over you as you finish each level. It's not perfect though as it clashes with the level end stats. Another idea for this would be a map over the islands where the megawad takes place. I could do a proof of concept for this if needed.

HUD

For this I want something new but classic. Maybe something more evil looking than the original but keeping the same format. Here are some examples I posted, which I'm sure can be improved on:

CREDITS/BOSSBACK

Both of these will also need replacing but until the megawad is finished I don't know what the content will be.

So, in you're interested...

Post your work up here. The project team will comment and the best ones will be used and credited for. PM me if you have any questions, require further direction or want an opinion on your early drafts without having to show them to everyone.

think I could bring up some thing, what music formats do you use?
for PSX atmosphere I could throw in something

I can do a second-job in order to make an effort in this case for the interpic. Maybe I'll map three islands, one with the asylum, another with black mountains and yet another with the metal fortress being built. Then I switch to gameplay mode, fly above and capture them altogether. Not the best choice, I know, but at least it looks Doom-ic.

[EDIT]Oh, and... did anyone think about an implement like the intermission screens in Registered Doom? Though I suppose that it can't be plugged into a Boom-compatible wad.[/EDIT]

@D_GARG: I was thinking along the lines of graphics rather than music but I suppose while we're at it replacement music for the title, level stats and intermission screens will be needed at some point. The project is PRBoom+ compat. I don't know a lot about music replacements but I expect it will need to be either midi or mus.

Mappers are responsible for thier map's music so you'll have to ask them individually. If you can make something good and Doomy for MAP09 I'll use it as I'm using the stock Doom 2 music at the moment.

@Cell: Go ahead. Let's see how it looks. The first island has the asylum, dam and dock, the second has the mining complex and the third has the invaded UAC buildings including the portal (MAP12), your area in MAP13, the power station, armoury, helipad communication tower etc. The third island would have to remain a work in progress until MAP20 is done.

To answer your question, it's inspired by the episode maps in Doom1 but will have to be a static screen in our megawad as PRBoom+ won't allow you to do that in Doom 2.

That was quick, Cell.

Hmm, looks a little plain so far. It's hard to see what's on the island and the shape of the isle itself is uninteresting. But maybe it will look better with the other island(s) added.

Also, thanks for the progress update walter. I forgot to mention before.

Purist, you're gonna hate me :(

My professor, seemingly disappointed in our paper results, has decided to drop a surprise take-home exam this week. Combine that with me having to get a start on a 25-page paper, write a short story, and work 15 hours over the weekend, I can't foresee me having any time to map this week. This came as a complete surprise to me, and I'm sorry I couldn't provide a proper head's up. I have to prioritize, though.

Don't worry too much Snakes, it can't be helped.

Can you please still write the story.txt that would go along with the map? This way Cell has the theme for MAP19.

It only needs to be a few lines. Start from the end of Malinku's MAP17 story (Doomguy had got to the Communciation Tower to alert the world about the Hell Invasion on the islands but the equipment had been removed), briefly write what will happen during the course of your map (to be mapped on a later date) then end with where Doomguy is going next and why (for MAP19).

You can then come back to your slot when you have the time and use Malinku's MAP17 end and Cell's MAP19 start to make your map between.

Well not completely by scratch if Snakes will do the story.txt, you'll have a theme at least.

If anything it's an advantage anyway. You have the freedom to make your map how you want it (as long as it fits in with the story so far) without having to start where someone else puts you. Plus you can start early as you don't have to wait for Snakes' map.

If you have any doubts let me know.

Double post - update time.

Here's a link to the latest progfic.wad.

https://www.box.net/shared/igbr79s0ko

The main addition is the new HUD as seen in the screenshot of my new MAP15 secret area below:

I've used the texture Vaporizer used in his HUD but I've darkened the masking and greyscaled the numbers see they contrast better. I like it but if someone makes a better one we can replace it.

So how are the rest of you getting on?

Vaporizer: Surely, you're close to uploading MAP06?

Truedude: Have you had chance to correct those bugs/issues reported on your first draft of MAP31?

magicsofa: I'd be interested to hear what progress you've made on MAP32. Are you having any joy with the Voodoo doll concept?

walter confalonieri: It wasn't so long ago that you updated, any more progress since?

Malinku: Are you any further with MAP17? I'm looking forward to seeing a more complete version as screenshots you've posted from other maps of yours always look great.

7 Maps in progress is too many ideally. Someone cheer me up and post a finished map!

Here's what was kind of brewing in my head:

Upon entering the ruin, you realize that whoever- or whatever- took the comm equipment from the tower must have taken refuge here. While the UAC's presence seems sparse, you know that they've done significant research here.

As you make your way through the subterranean complex, you come across some sort of place of worship. It has the look of an abbey for Satan... What such a structure would be doing in such an ancient ruin is an answer you can't come across. A subtle sign gets those wheels in your head 'a-turning. The comm equipment rests atop the altar. Still, there's a faint notion running through your head. Is this the original place of human contact with Hell?

There's no time to ponder that. As you approach the altar, chaos erupts around you. They knew you were coming. In a blink, the equipment is gone. In disgust, you spot the only other way out... and it goes deeper into the ruin.

NOTE: If this clashes with the story, please let me know.

Theme-wise, the map was going to consist of largely of a combination of ASHWALL3 and BRICK7, with the cathedral being stone and GSTONE textures. The exit would be a descending staircase on the other side of the altar.

Hopefully, this is enough.

I tried the new level. Really good :)

About the art: also good :D the HUD is really good, and I have an idea about the intermission screen:

Write the level name, AND write the author's name below that! Like in Eternal Doom, or in the 1Monster WAD. It's a progressive work, so I think that's a nice idea :)

purist said:

walter confalonieri: It wasn't so long ago that you updated, any more progress since?

Ok, i just made some works today like little detailing... but miss few things to be mandatory fixed (detail and gameplay camp, mostly...) but i working on this...

@Snakes: I like the story. I was a little dis-satisfied with Malinku's decision to have the equipment removed from the Communication Tower as I was hoping he'd conclude that subplot but I like your twist on it: The UAC having removed it before the invasion to communicate with Hell. It doesn't clash with the backstory, the only bit that doesn't sit comfortably is that the UAC used Hadephobics to channel messages from Hell. However, this can be explained by the UAC using the equipment to enhance, record or control the process. To represent this in the map you could have the either voodoo dolls, zombies or hanging guys wired up and imprisoned within the alter.

I'm not keen on the last part. I'd prefer the communciation thing to be resolved in your map rather than dragged onto another map (unless Cell has a good idea for this) but that's up to you, it's your story. Thanks for posting this, I'm sure Cell will find it useful and I hope you're able to come back to your map slot when your not so busy.

@Katamori: Thanks Katamori. For intermission screens I meant the background pic, not the text content. I was going to credit mappers on the credit screen and text file but I'm not adverse to having authors names with the map names if it's what everyone wants. I remember planning to do that originally anyway but for some reason it looked wrong in-game.

@Vaporizer: Great, I'll look forward to that.

@walter: You posted during my post... I'm glad to hear your still working. Try to get a 2nd draft posted as soon as you can.

The secret area looks kickass blue and the HUD is epic red. Good one!
At least I can start the whole stuff off today. Maybe a cave-like structure with marble stairway behind it does the job as it is.