Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MagSigmaX

Project MSX - Beta 2 released! (v0.2a Update)

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with tweaking some of the files for this mod? I was playing around with the monster values, like slowing them down a little so some custom WADs are less insane. I've been trying to figure out how to up the items that can be found on the map, but I don't know what to modify for the random item/ammo spawner. Here's the code for it:

/*
Ammo random spawners, these will reduce the ammo suplies of the player, especially ammo
from shotgun shell pickups.
*/

actor arammo_gren_spawner: RandomSpawner replaces Stimpack
{
DropItem "arifle_ammo" 64 2
DropItem "pistol_ammo" 64 1
DropItem "grenades" 128 4
}

actor shotgun_pickup_spawner: RandomSpawner replaces ShellBox
{
DropItem "autoshot_ammobox" 128 4
DropItem "nailshot_ammo" 255 1
}

actor ashotammo_spawner : RandomSpawner replaces Shell {
DropItem "autoshot_ammo", 92
}

My guess would be that the number to far right right is some sort of probability, but I honestly have no idea. :P

Ideally I would like to increase the amount of items but maybe decrease how much is in each pickup? I'm not sure how to balance it out, but the lack of items wrecks a lot of secret/supply rooms, making a lot of maps feel pretty empty.

The first number to the right of the classname is the likelihood that it will spawn if the randomspawner chooses it, out of 255. The second number is the priority that actor gets, or how likely the randomspawner is to choose that actor. The higher the number, the higher its prority.

Here's an example to tie all that together:

ACTOR RandomShotgunAmmoSpawner : RandomSpawner replaces ShellBox
{
DropItem "Shell" 255 4
DropItem "ShellBox" 128 2
}

In this example, the "Shell" will always spawn if it is picked, and it will be picked 2/3rds of the time. The "ShellBox" will only spawn 1/3rd of the time, and there's a 50% chance it won't spawn at all if it's chosen.

Necromancer-AMV said:

The first number to the right of the classname is the likelihood that it will spawn if the randomspawner chooses it, out of 255. The second number is the priority that actor gets, or how likely the randomspawner is to choose that actor. The higher the number, the higher its prority.

Here's an example to tie all that together:

ACTOR RandomShotgunAmmoSpawner : RandomSpawner replaces ShellBox
{
DropItem "Shell" 255 4
DropItem "ShellBox" 128 2
}

In this example, the "Shell" will always spawn if it is picked, and it will be picked 2/3rds of the time. The "ShellBox" will only spawn 1/3rd of the time, and there's a 50% chance it won't spawn at all if it's chosen.

So for the shell box it's 126/255 chance of spawning at all if selected, but the shells have a higher number, so the shell item always spawns when selected and spawns more often? So to make it so something always appears, I'd have to make the first number always 255, right? Thanks for the help

You may forgotten about this mod, but this is not dead.

A new beta is coming out soon, hopefully it will fix most grievances people had with the first beta.

Here is a gameplay video

Some things:

• Although I appreciate that the player is quicker than the last beta, I fear that he may be a little TOO quick - it defeats the purpose of the dashing and sprinting mechanics in most places.
  • Jumping does not seem to obey the "No Jumping" DMFLAG/COMPATFLAG. I'm assuming it's implemented in ACS, correct? The GetCVar command in ACS should help with this (a bit check will need to be performed at the beginning of the script). I could be wrong about this, though - sometimes the flag is set via MAPINFO, and I'm not sure how to check for it.
  • The Hell Knights and Barons are way too fast for their build and strength. I'd adjust their speed by -25%, but strengthen their projectile a little bit more, each.
  • The trail on the Imp/Satyr fireballs should be shortened (their time-to-live decreased). Too many of these fireballs on screen makes things a little too busy.
  • Revenant rockets are WAY too fast - those could be slowed down a bit.
  • Arachnotrons give no warning whatsoever before they fire. A delay of 15-20 ticks should be enough with a small audible warning of some kind, like the Hell Knights do.
  • Some really quick enemies cycle through their walk (run?) frames too quickly. Those frames should be doubled or tripled up in DECORATE to avoid making things look too awkward.
  • Some equipment pickup sprites are not distinct enough from their environment (grenades, especially). Perhaps add another frame to their idle animations where they flash fullbright?
  • Berserk packs should refill health on pickup. Just a suggestion, really - just having it add two medkits instead of one kinda ruins the "powerup" nature of a berserk pack, especially how it's used in most maps.
  • I find that I run out of ammo very quickly, sometimes. Could the ammo pickups be adjusted for greater quantity, or could their appearance rate be adjusted?
All in all, this is still a very, very fun mod that just needs some more tweaking to get it just right. Might have more stuff to add when I play more.

EDIT: Posted this to the ZDoom Thread. I figured that you might see it there, first (but since it is the first post there, you may not see it for a bit).