Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Geocities released as a 900GB torrent.

I think it is kinda neat that someone is doing this. Not a lot of use perhaps, well not to me anyway, but neat.

Also this thread is good coz it gives me a chance to post this.

I wonder how much of that is cheesy animated gifs?

You know, if they took all those out, it'd probably knock it down to 100MB or something.... :p

Hey, at least with that one you're sure to get the most complete collection of "Under construction" animated gifs and pics, EVAR. Too bad it's not OVER 9000!!! GB

I'm assuming that 900GB is compressed, meaning the end result will be absolutely fucking massive once you decompress it.

The reason for that is because HTML and animated GIF images compress very well; in fact HTML is very bad for the internet because of how much unnecessary bandwidh it uses up given its syntax.

Sigvatr said:

The reason for that is because HTML and animated GIF images compress very well; in fact HTML is very bad for the internet because of how much unnecessary bandwidh it uses up given its syntax.

Some servers compress the packets with gzip.

Also it's not HTML syntax that bloats web pages anyway; it's the ton of useless javascript and Flash stuff that people use. Weighs a ton more. The biggest part of the web traffic is now streaming from the likes of YouTube, and the biggest part of Internet traffic (not just http) is P2P traffic.

At least when viewed through dial-up, text compressed very well at the protocol level with modem compression, which resulted in a higher apparent bandwidth when downloading text and bmp images (didn't do jack for already compressed content though). E.g. I could download an uncompressed 500K text document at an apparent speed of 30 KB/sec, which would exceed the actual line's bit rate.

On DSL and cable, AFAIK they don't bother doing that at any level anymore.

How's it archived? In parts or all in one file? (hope not) Because rummaging through all the old sites could work as a pastime for very, very boring days, but 900GB is fucking humongous. I'm not really ready to shell out for an external hard drive just to look at "Tom's Home Page (under construction!)" x n+1.

The original figure's probably a guesstimate. It's still a hell of a lot of data which would tie up my connection for 9 days - that's provided the cost of a 600GB data block doesn't give me a heart attack.

A friend archived my website when Geocities closed, so getting it all back is a little easier for me. I think it's nice that they're preserving a chunk of the Internet like that, though. Once websites like DeviantArt and MySpace started taking off, personal webpages like those just weren't being made anymore. I think I'm the only person I know that took it seriously at some point. Of course, my site was practically inactive for its last two years, but I might get my old Jedi Knight screenshots back and post them on my Facebook or something.