Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

JENESIS - done and on /idgames.

You're right about that ceiling texture actually, darkreaver - I look at that now and I see some rather bad Moiré. D: Not good! That'll be changed - thanks for the tip. ;) I'll also see what I can do in the lighting department, DeathevokatioN.

Anyway, gameplay-wise, this map is pretty much finished, and here's what I have so far. However, I think I might add a few more areas to make it a longer play experience, and also to get some more secrets and powerups into the map to maximize replayability.

To be honest, though, creatively, I've been a bit down lately. And this designated speedmapping time I've set myself is, well, about the worst time to have a creativity slump. D: Anyway, hope you guys enjoy the shots - I will resume work on this map tomorrow, fleshing it out and improving the slightly lackluster areas as best I can. :)

Jimmy91 said:

You're right about that ceiling texture actually, darkreaver - I look at that now and I see some rather bad Moiré. D: Not good! That'll be changed - thanks for the tip. ;) I'll also see what I can do in the lighting department, DeathevokatioN.

Anyway, gameplay-wise, this map is pretty much finished, and here's what I have so far. However, I think I might add a few more areas to make it a longer play experience, and also to get some more secrets and powerups into the map to maximize replayability.

(DON'T QUOTE PICTURES, ETC.)

These pictures are from Episode 2?

Started and finished the new MAP02, The Canal, today. It's a remake of a reaaaaaally old (and a bit shit) single-player map I did too many years ago to count.

Themes present: Doom 2 MAP14 (should be obvious) and Plutonia MAP03, plus a little bit of Requiem, and a dash of Memento Mori 2. As MAP02, this map will serve as the transition between Treatment Plant and Oasis Facility. (So the theme progression will be sorta like: Doom E1 -> E2 -> Plutonia.)

I like those, but I hate the sky. Ugh! Always have.

In the second to last shot: those "gazebos" or whatever I can call them (th ones with revenants in them), there seem to be four of them, symmetrically built. Maybe add some "support beams" between them (wont really be supporting though, since they are mostly hanging in the air rather than supporting anything lol)? From corner to corner (upper), and place some hanging victims there, and maybe add an item in the middle on the slime there (maybe on a small pillar).

Ooooooor, not. :P It`s pretty old school (cool) looking as is, so dont need more detail really, though it looks a little bit bare compared to shot 2,3 and 4

I apologize for the delay. I've been working on the new MAP09 on and off for the last 4 days, and due to lack of inspiration I've been unable to finish it in a 24-hour period. It proved to me a tad more than I could handle, but I'm happy to report that it's finally finished.

So anyway, here are some screenshots from MAP09: Devil's Industry. (More than the limit allows, be sure to check out the ones which are linked at the bottom.)

Final room: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4193/jen2912.png

Started and finished the new MAP08, Plunge, today. It's a relatively short map, so only five screenshots this time round.

There are some heavy Memento Mori 2 themes in this one. ;)

Here are some shots of the new MAP10: Highway of Destruction, a map which turned into something large and extremely linear - a bit of a breakaway from my usual approach to mapping. Gameplay-wise, it's about as close to slaughtermap as I dare edge. There are almost 300 monsters present - although the majority of which are imps and demons, and a rocket launcher is provided right at the start, so eliminating crowds is no difficult feat.

I've only looked over all the screenshots you posted in this thread Jimmy but I'm impressed with how far your mapping skills have come.

Played through Part 1, and I really enjoyed all of it aside from MAP11, as I'm no fan of Icon of Sin maps anyway and this one was as frustrating as any of the others.

MAP10 was a bit questionable due to the sheer number of Revenants in places I'd prefer them not to be, but the challenge seemed suitable enough. All in all, good job. I look forwards to Part 2.

I hate revenants, but placing them is fun. :P That map's supposed to be one of the final Hell maps for the full megawad and therefore plays very much (I hope) like a slaughtermap.

Speaking of maps, here's MAP13 - Alchemy.

Before you ask, it's not piss, or demon vomit, or molten cheese, or anything else like that. It's meant to be liquid gold - since gold is after all the element which is the main focus of the alchemical process.

However, I am still a bit iffy on the fall texture - it's the one from UAC Ultra and I don't think the colors are quite the same. All my attempts to knock up a better one have failed.

Ten shots. This map is quite big, but really shouldn't be. It's taken me the last three days to finish completely, again because of... well, lack of ideas mainly. This map was a technical nightmare.

Hope you like the looks of it. :P

looks very nice

the only problem I have with it is how bright the lavafall is I would darken it a bit

When you said in other topics you found many wads very hard while your own maps were super easy even on UV, I was expecting a batch of easy maps...

Boy did I get my ass handed to me, and I can't even claim "cramped" as an excuse as these maps most definitely aren't.

I had the assistance of many testers explaining where my maps were just too easy to be fun on UV. xP

If anything, I did go overboard on the monster count differences.

Malinku: I know, it ain't perfect, but the yellow color range is notoriously difficult to work with in Doom. D: These are literally some of the few (and probably only) all-yellow liquid textures I've ever seen, and I've tried doing my own with little success. It'll stay that way most likely, since I don't want to lose any of the "DON'T STEP ON THIS SHIT OR IT KILLS YOU" appearance of the highly-damaging goldslime in this map. :P

Jimmy91 said:

These are literally some of the few (and probably only) all-yellow liquid textures I've ever seen, and I've tried doing my own with little success.

Deus Vult II has some nice yellow liquid falls if I recall properly ( not used in the wad, but still available ). But maybe they aren't as good as UAC Ultra's.
Anyway, I like what I see so far :)

I apologize for not updating this in quite a while. This is due to things.

MAP16: Hades' Wall is slowly but surely taking form.

I probably won't get this finished over the weekend, because of essays and preparation for my imminent art exam being rather consumptive of my time. But at least I've finally got something started. Anyway, one more map, then the final map, to go, then rigorous playtesting, and then Jenesis Part 2 will be done and ready for private beta testing.

Oh, and if you guys are wondering why Part 1 isn't yet on /idgames... erm... look over there. *runs*

It's not mine. It's ravagefox's. He uploaded a bunch of cool stuff here which (I'm pretty sure) is free to use as long as credit is given.