Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

JENESIS - done and on /idgames.

kristus said:

BTW: I did play the first map in ZDoom, the music starts out fine. But then it turns into some whaling soloing shit that was piercing my ears like you wouldn't believe. Like fingernails on a black board.

What softsynth do you use?

Jimmy91 said:

As per the music, my only recommendation in your case would be to have it turned off, unless you're using some kind of soundfont with a particularly bad distortion guitar sound. Otherwise I can't see how that song would be offensive to the ears. :S I mean sure, the guitar goes high, but it does also on a lot of other MIDI songs - Icarus MAP25 being one example.

Another hideous midi.

@Gez: Whatever is the default. I just listened to the Map25 track of icarus for a few seconds in Eternity, and I think it's just a matter of me having a problem with my ears being raped by high pitched noises picking at them like an icepick. >_<

I think the default is the one provided by the system, e.g. MS Wavetable on Windows. Personally, I use either TiMidity++ with eawpats or FluidSynth with WeedsGM3.

This really is some great stuff, I just can't help but explode in my pants when I'm playing through this. Every level is a different kind of explosion! ;)

So far this has everything I enjoy in a mapset and an episode, diversity in both gameplay and themes (fuck theme consistancy [monotony], no really, nothing worse than loading up a level for the first time and knowing exactly what to expect... but I should save this rant for another thread)! Also this one might come off as a bit gay, but one thing I noticed is that your enthusiasm for DooM really rubs off into these levels you made, the fun layouts, the great vibe that the levels have, and also the gameplay is very well done. This is really the kind of thing I'd love to see more of in mapsets, people making maps because they enjoy it, and not because they want recognition, and so this mapset is just very refreshing for me.

A nitpick is that it's possible to get stuck on Map03 in the storage area where the archvile is, behind where the switch is. I can take a screenshot to show you exactly where if you're still not sure though.

[Edit]
That music track Map01 is fine for me, maybe it's the kind of speakers I have, very bassy, so high pitched sounds still have a deep bottom heavy tone to them.

No worries Death, I know which part you're talking about - I found that problem out for myself not too long ago. That will definitely be fixed for the /idgames release. ;) Thanks for the encouraging words. :P

Apologies to anyone else wanting to try this out, but all of Phenomer.net is down for the moment. It will hopefully be restored in due time, but meanwhile, here's another (temporary) link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ardwj7c3ejwjkv1

Played through this in co-op with a friend yesterday, and it fucking RULED! Amazing gameplay! We really enjoyed all the levels.

This is speedmapping you say? wtf...that makes me wanna delete DB and quit mapping :P

Anyway, it worked really well in co-op except for one thing, I believe it was in map09. Some blue skull bars lowered to prevent the player from getting back out I believe. It was in a doorway right at the starting place of the map. My friend entered while I was in another place. He died, and we couldnt get back in there.

Great stuff and I`m already eagerly awaiting more stuff from you ;)

Great to hear! :) I will investigate the blue bar issue. Hopefully it's just a case of adding a second blue switch on the other side of the bars to prevent getting stuck. Will be fixed for the /idgames release. ;)

Very awesome Jimmy! I really like where this wad is going and I anxiously await the next episodes! The map design is pretty blocky for the most part, I was unable to locate any architectural design that wasn't orthogonal in just about anything other than the natural rocky outdoor areas, which made your maps feel kinda formulaic in a way. Despite the blocky architecture, the texturing is very clean and the wad is extremely fun to play!

Hah, 40oz ever since you've mapped for that "doom the way id did" you've become totally gay for angles. ;P I enjoy the way that Jimi focused more on layout and less on cute little shapes. It seems engraved in his style. But then again for some reason I find that I'm also starting to look for angles.

Another thing, is Map08... when you kill the possessed technitions, is their last animation supposed to look like a gib?

Also I noticed that Jimi used a music track on Map09 from Gothic DM even though it said that you aren't allowed to use it, has the copyright permissions changed? I'm new to this so maybe it has?

I'm still having a lot of and on Map09 so far... back to playing I guess.

DeathevokatioN said:

Another thing, is Map08... when you kill the possessed technitions, is their last animation supposed to look like a gib?

Make sure you load the dehacked patch. I noticed the same thing on one of my testing playthrough and then realized that I forgot to load the dehacked patch. Hopefully Jimmy will remember to embed it in the wad for the /idgames release so people won't have to worry about it.

40oz: I will take note of the square-ish nature of my maps - it's nice to see the goods and bads in my mapping style being brought out. Part 2 will hopefully include a much more varied assortment of room shapes and mapping tricks. ;) Glad you enjoyed it overall. :D

DeathevokatioN: Yeah, sounds like you didn't load the DEHACKED patch. I will make it part of the WAD for the final release so it won't have to be loaded separately. Everything should work fine with ZDoom.

Also, I didn't realize the Gothic team disallowed the use of its resources. I assumed it was okay since the Gothic textures and music have been used pretty much everywhere already. :S Oh, well - if it's that big a concern, I'll switch it to a custom-made MIDI; I've already got something fitting in the works. ;)

Yeah I found out the unfortunate truth because I also wanted to use that midi for one of my own maps hehe. It's a shame because that really is one of the coolest midis to exist!

It's cool your using a custom midi though, because I'm really starting to enjoy your midi style and a personal complaint I've had was that there weren't enough midis done by you.

With the squarish issue, I've found that the opposite extreme of right angles that I really don't enjoy either is the overuse odd angles that can eventually turn your level into an incoherent and unmemorable mess, ie (sorry mate) 40oz did this in his latest map for Doom the way Id did. So, while angles are cool and all, so some personal advice is to try find a balance between 45 degree angles, odd angles and 90 degree angles. I went down that road of trying too hard to look for odd angles all the time and after two weeks, what I eventually ended up with was an unmemorable piece of garbage, maybe that says something about my mapping skillz but the point is, (I guess?), too much of anything can become monotonous. :P

On Map10 "The Savage Abyss" it is possible to get stuck behind the coffins in the red skull room that has the archvile + revenants. I'd say put some imppassible lines so the player can't fall off the wrong side of either coffin and get stuck. hehe

I can post a screenshot to show exactly where I got stuck if you're not sure exactly where I'm talking about.

Uuuuurrghhhkk, so fucking hungover today again. Sooo, I`ll play through this bastard again tonight in single player. Maybe I can return here with some real feedback, not just fanboyism ;D

DeathevokatioN said:

Hah, 40oz ever since you've mapped for that "doom the way id did" you've become totally gay for angles. ;P

Dude I love angles now, I know.

Okay, guys - my speedmapping sessions for the next 10 days are about to start, during which I will be making new maps, at the rate of one a day, for Part 2, and possibly be making adjustments to the other ones, too (I will also be working on my CC4 map between these slots).

But I need some opinions on something: would you guys like me to release the next 10 (plus a new final level) with the last 10, or separately? I've already established a map order for the full megawad, and have laid out the bare bones of a thematic progression, so if they are packaged with the Part 1 maps, the map order will be altered slightly - with the new maps coming in between the existing ones.

So, which is best route to take?

Hmm, I can't really think of any big advantages for either route myself. I guess if you kept them cut up into separate wads and then spliced them into the megawad at the end, that would clear up some possible confusion on why there's Part 1 maps mixed in with Part 2 maps, etc. But I dunno, it might not be anything to worry about.

You could just leave Parts out of the name altogether, doesn't really matter all that much, especially since Part 3 will likely have all of it in one WAD anyways. Also, is there going to be more than one Icon of Sin battle or what's happening with that? Just going to replace it later on with another?

If you plan on using the same new textures you might wanna just add to your original thing.

I enjoyed this quite a lot. Good Job ! :)

Bugs still present however ...

Map01 ...

Tag can be removed from sector 133.

Map03 ...

1. Line 157 needs to be flipped, so as to open door sector 26.

2. I found it impossible, using gzdoom, glboom+ and Risen3D, to reach sector 157 so as to get to secret sector 31. Am I missing something ? I realise that there is 1 Archvile in the level.

Map04 ...

Lines 1013, 1007, 1012 and 1005 need a slight X alignment. Texture is 16 pixels wide yet the lines they are on have a length of 17. Minor I know.

Map05 ...

Might be worth putting "block monster" flag on line 782. Not a good look when the Baron walks on it. Again, minor.

Map 06 ...

Line 1653 not lower unpegged.

Map 08 ...

Wrong ceiling flat sector 117.

Map 09 ...

1.On EASY skill T203 LS is stuck in T272 Caco at sector 62.

2. Both T198 and T396 - Teleport Things - at sectors 278 and 273, not flagged EASY.

Map 10 ...

Sector 169 - teleporter - is not on a 64x64 grid.

===============================

Jimmy91 please check your PM.

Thanks for the detailed bug report, hawkwind! :) I've addressed all of your concerns. :)

As for MAP03 - it is difficult, but possible, to jump to that secret sector, but you can also go around the other way, into the storage room where you originally fought the archvile, making sure to land on the crates, and then use them as a staircase to the secret sector. However, I've now added a pedestal in the other room so it's easier to reach that secret door from the proper side.

As for the level progression - I'm kinda leaning towards merging Parts 1 and 2 (and doing the same for Part 3), because I'd quite like for the Hell episode (maps 21 onwards) to be pistol-started, and Into the Gate will serve as the transition level to that episode. Still, if anyone thinks this is not the right way to go for whatever reason, I'm all ears. :)

EDIT: Work on the first map for Part 2 has commenced!

Here are some screenshots of MAP15 - The Other Side, which is to be the first Hell level (and therefore pistol-started). Due to its brevity, what you see here is basically the whole thing. :P

Glad you like it, fellas. ;)

I'm afraid I've fallen a bit behind schedule, so I'm gonna try and catch up with myself. Anyway, here's a very early screenshot of MAP11: Transporter Station. Map's about 50% done.