Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

JENESIS - done and on /idgames.

esselfortium said:

Cool, I like the wood/marble scene :)

The outdoor parts would probably look better with a real rock texture, but I figure you don't want to start switching out rock textures for custom ones this late in the process.

Depends. I want this map to look faithful to Canyon of the Dead from NRFTL. What did you have in mind? :)

Crestfallen looks very impressive indeed. Looking forward to playing this soon.

Well, here we are. It's been just a little bit over 10 months, but it's finally complete.

Jenesis, Pt. 3: "Abysm" -- Beta 1
(For some reason I keep timing out of my FTP server so here's a DRDTeam link for the time being.)

I'd like to thank everyone who's helped me along with this project so far, particularly Mechadon, MegaDoomer, and hawkwind, who've been helping me out with their bug reports and encouraging feedback pretty much since the very beginning. You guys rock. :D

However, this is just the first beta of the complete 32-level megawad, and I'd really like some feedback from anyone who hasn't yet played through the preceding two installments, so I can freshen and improve the old maps as well as the new ones. For those who have already played Parts 1 and 2, and aren't really keen on going through 19 maps all over again, then by all means you can just play the new maps, which are MAP09, MAP10, MAP16, MAP17, MAP18, MAP19, MAP22, MAP25, MAP28, MAP29, MAP30, MAP31 and MAP32. :D

A few things to note before playing:

• Credit screen and BOSSBACK need to be created.
  • Music and par times are not finalized.
  • More secrets need to be added to some of the new maps.
  • Consistency between level entrances/exits needs to be maximized.
  • Possible (but hopefully minor) balance/difficulty issues. Let me know of any you encounter.
  • MAPINFOs for ZDoom/Eternity need to be written.
Obviously it won't be the perfect solo megawad experience, but with your help, it could well be! (Maybe. Perhaps.)

I'd like to think there aren't any awful, awful problems with the new maps but knowing my luck there probably are. :P Please let me know of any problems you encounter at all and I'll address them post-haste. :D

Enjoy, all! :)

Jimmy91 said:

I'd really like some feedback from anyone who hasn't yet played through the preceding two installments

Well, that's me. I haven't really played any Doom since the start of the year outside of my own shit over and over, so I'll try and find some time for a play through.

Well done on finishing the wad btw, quite the achievement. :)

Just now downloaded and looking forward to play.

One quick thing noted however ... don't forget to add the intermission scripts to the dehacked patch. AFAIK prboom and Risen3D ignore emapinfo/zmapinfo.

These also noted with Deepsea ...

map 10 ...

1. Tag can be removed from sector 466.
2. SERIOUS - Line 3267 needs to be tagged and sector 471 needs the same tag number - S1.

map 18 ...

1. Line 3218 has type and tag but no corresponding sector tag.
2. Sectors 22-25 are tagged but no corresponding line tags.

map 19 ...

Line 3691 needs its tag changed from 13 to 15 - see sector 99.

map 25 ...

Line 1918 has type but no sector/line tag.

map 29 ...

Tag on line 4655 can be removed.

... now off to playtest ...

I just played throught Map09 and Map10. Random things.

Map09: with all the rockets and shells and the archviles there's no SSG or RL in the map, this on purpose? It's a bit difficult.
Map10: The triple redskull door thingy isnt openable from both sides.

Okay, cheers all. :D Those have all been fixed now. (Damn, your reports are good, hawkwind. xP)

Looking forward to some feedback on the looks/gameplay of the new maps. :)

An interesting one for map 09 ...

1. This map contains a red keycard. It is gettable but not required. What I suggest is to change the action/type on line 837 to 14434. Now the key is necessary to complete the level. I tested this and it works fine.

also

2. Lines 1938/1939 would look better with a front-sidedef alignment of 3 and back-sidedef alignment of 6 IMO.

3. Line 2074 could be flagged "secret" and lines behind flagged "hidden".

Looks/gameplay as always is great. :)

Now to continue on with map 10 ...

Got through 16 ok, but it took me at least 10 minutes (and godmode) to find the switch in the chaingunner cell that opens the first door in the cave in map 17. IMO you should move it to the opposite side of the cell so it's easier to see. I once-overed it and then focused on the rest of the map where there where monsters, as where there are monsters, is where the map designer wants you to go right? Not yet apparently. The ssg by the eye could possibly be a liiiittle easier to see too, I thought I was picking up a regular shotty. Oh and making the back of the cart where you pick up the shotty inaccessible after jumping out was rather annoying. Especially if in the haste of dying 5 times trying to find that switch, you miss the shotty. Not sure if it'd be possible to sr50 off the chair backs to get onto the sides though.

Looking good otherwise. Music kinda overwhelms the sounds on those maps, but I haven't put time into configuring prboom's sound/music much.

map 10 ...

Line 4773 could have been flagged "secret" and lines behind flagged "hidden".

map 16 ...

1. Some kind of barrier is required to be made behind the player at the start of the level. Invisible blocking is not a good look IMO.
2. FLOOR0_3 might look better as the ceiling for sector 517.

map 17 ...

1. The electrified water near the exit does more damage that the tracks near the exit. Should this be the case ?
2. ROCK1 would look better as the texture on either side of line 4116 IMO.

map 18 ...

1. Line 1021 to 990 need on their back-sidedefs the mid texture MIDBARS3. This can be clearly seen ( or not seen as the case may be ) at lines 1024, 2709, 2710 and when standing at sector 161 and looking NW and SW.
2. Note the render error using glboom+ when looking directly up into sectors 11 and 20.

... on to map 19 ...

The Cyberdemon on the balcony in Map25 was completely stuck and unable to do anything (even shoot at me) until I telefragged him. That doesn't seem intentional.

If it matters, I was playing on skill 2 (HNTR) using GZDoom.

New maps are fun so far.

@Jimmy91, I think you should do all fixes so far and go with Beta 2 when possible.

There's been some important things pointed out and I would like to see those fixed before I give a play.

Finished playing through. The last two maps were interesting, though I thought that there was rather a lot of "uncorrupted" techbase in map29 compared to the weird & awesome detail sections at the start and towards the end. Maybe that's just me though.

Map30 got a somewhat mixed reaction from me. The mapwork and the new sprite for the boss were very cool, but another Icon of Sin two maps after the "proper" one felt like kind of a drag. Part of the problem with the Icon type bosses, too, is that there's only so much you can do to make them interesting besides simply heaping more chores on the player while the room fills up with monsters. Here it felt like the amount of things I had to figure out how to do tipped over into frustration. But that's my personal taste. It definitely is a very well crafted boss/level in the visual sense.

i think hawkwind is actually a robot.

this looks so great though. downloading.

Here's my full report ...

map 19 ...

1. Wrong X offset on line 2520 - CRATE2. Should be 16.
2. Lamp - T159 - near vertex 2322 is rendering in the wall. It needs to be moved 16 units east.
3. Lines 2972, 2976 etc - BROWN1 - could use a slight Y alignment.
4. It would look better IMO if the Y offset was removed ( set back to 0 ) on lines 828 and 830 . Compare lines 856 and 870.
5. Lines 4228/4231 could have been flagged "secret" and the lines in between ( sectors 731/732 etc. ) flagged "hidden".
6. I would remove the "secret" attribute for sector 686. It is rather a narrow sector and the player may not get credit. The player gets credit at adjoining sector 621 anyway. Just change type at sector 686 from 192 to 5.

map 22 ...

1. The impassible flag could possibly be removed from line 130.
2. GSTONE1 might look better on line 2297.
3. Blood does damage at sector 107 but not at sector 265 or 213 for example. Inconsistent.

map 25 ...

1. Line 3102 could have a mid tex.
2. Wrong floor flat sector 109. Should be FLAT5_5.
3. It is possible that all mancubuses at sector 485 will not teleport out, preventing 100% kills. I suggest making sectors 484/485 bigger and giving extra teleport lines like at sectors 473/474.

map 28 ...

1. DB's 32000 camera Thing can be removed.
2. Lines 1781, 1844 etc, etc, need mid texture A-RAIL1 on the other side of the lines.

map 29 ...

1. I would remove the secret flag from sector 818. While possible, it is not necessary. And the player gets credit at sector 820 anyway.
2. I would have finished off the railing at line 105 by extending it 32 map units north so as to look like line 25.

map 30 ...

In some sectors the blood does damage and in others it does not. I would prefer that all the blood in this level not do damage and the radiation suits be removed. There is enough going on as is... ;)

map 31 ...

1. SERIOUS - Linedef 524 needs to be flipped. Player can be trapped at sector 59.
2. POTENTIALLY SERIOUS - If the player opens door sector 225, but does not proceed to sector 223 and the door closes, the player cannot exit the level.
3. A rocket launcher or a plasma gun would have helped eliminating the revenants at sector 208 - especially on a pistol start.

map 32 ...

1.When the player is up against the wall - sector 148 - the lower sky hemisphere can be seen.
2. I would like to see sector 209 shut instantly after picking up the backpack, trapping the player at sectors 208/213 - why prolong the death.

... Thanks Jimmy91. I enjoyed this megawad immensely. :)

Cheers, hawkwind! I've fixed virtually all of that. :D MAP32 is basically an old relic of a map which explains the sky error. That error alone is the only one which is probably not a high priority fix. :P

I hope the list I sent you doesn't take too long to fix Jimmy :)

Anyway this is great, thanks for making it.

Hopefully not. :) Thanks for all of it, though. Much appreciated. :D

I'll be adding extra secrets and making other similar changes to the new maps for probably the third beta. For now I'm just gonna be focusing on the small but easily-fixable errors. :P

Okay, everything on my to-do list, save for some of the more intensive changes I intend to make to the maps, is checked off, so I might as well release a second beta.

Jenesis, Pt. 3: "Abysm" -- Beta 2

99% of all the problems reported to me through this thread and PM have been addressed. I will fix everything at a later point, but the major niggles brought up so far have been ironed out. Thanks to everyone again. :)

Enjoy the second beta! :D

Jimmy91 said:

Okay, everything on my to-do list, save for some of the more intensive changes I intend to make to the maps, is checked off, so I might as well release a second beta.

Jenesis, Pt. 3: "Abysm" -- Beta 2

99% of all the problems reported to me through this thread and PM have been addressed. I will fix everything at a later point, but the major niggles brought up so far have been ironed out. Thanks to everyone again. :)

Enjoy the second beta! :D

Sounds good. :) I look forward to the third beta with additional changes but no need to rush it.

Maybe if I get the time I'll even throw in a few suggestions, though I'm still pretty busy.

BTW I think the idea of making the final version a public beta (rather than just to certain testers) is excellent. :)

Found a serious problem in MAP22

The ceiling Texture of sector #293 must be changed from F_SKY1 to FLOOR7_2