Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

Specifying window position

I'm trying to record a video of me playing some Doom wads.

What I usually would do is record a demo of me playing Doom, then play the demo in windowed mode in 320x200 resolution for recording.

The recording process often started with me running the demo from the command line, pausing the demo as soon as prboom opens up, then opening up my recording software to select the region of my screen I want to record. This works but I lose a very brief portion of the demo that I kinda want to include and makes syncing my recorded audio with the video a little more difficult than it needs to be. (I record audio with a seperate program because my video recording software can't do it right)

Anyway, my problem is that I want to specify the region of my desktop to record the prBoom window before it appears on my screen so I don't lose anything. When I open prBoom, the window appears on a pseudorandom part of my screen instead of a specified spot, so specifying the region of my desktop to record doesnt work because the window isn't positioned to the recorded region.

I was hoping to find something in the .cfg that allows to make the window centered on the desktop of justified to one corner or something so that it's not wherever it wants to be, but have had no luck.

I'm using Windows Vista.

I am not sure if it is possible to specify exact coordinates for the main window of an SDL app, but it is *definitely* possible to have it be automatically centered on-screen, which is what EE does. That would be the next best thing, IMO.

How would one go about this? Is this a Windows related thing or a configuration of the Source Port? Ideally I just want the window to be placed somewhere that can be predicted, like justified in a corner, or even just where the window was the last time I opened it.

Alternatively, I'm contemplating a hacky workaround which requires that I edit the wad I'm playing to have a black screen for the TITLEPIC, then the demo I'm playing back to be the DEMO1 lump in the wad, which gives me a short time to adjust the region of the screen im recording before the demo starts playing.

When you said PrBoom I don't know if you mean trunk or plus. I don't think trunk tries to force the placement of the window position at all, it just opens wherever your OS feels like putting it. Plus on the other hand seems to have this option

r3312 | entryway | 2009-10-16 13:38:29 +0100 (Fri, 16 Oct 2009) | 5 lines

Added a "sdl_video_window_pos" config variable. Syntax:
sdl_video_window_pos "center"
sdl_video_window_pos "100,100"
sdl_video_window_pos ""
which I just tried messing with in my prboom-plus.cfg and it seems to work as advertised (although I'm not using vista.)