Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
iHaveToPee

Is it possible to cause explosions in the map without using scripts?

Hey,
I'm looking for some traps for my maps.
The voodoo trick became boring I use it only in places where I want to limit the player's direction and cause him death if he falls from a certain place.
I also learned the trap with the crusher in a random sector that kills me if I activate it.

Now i'm looking for something different, I remember that I saw such a thing in scythe map 28 where the the crusher trap is used and monsters teleport from sectors with barrles and they cause the other monsters to die, so I thought that maybe it is possible to cause such an explosions by using only the doom builder 2's actions and without any scripts.
Is it possible to do such a thing?

Yeah but if they r in a different sector so the explosions have no connections to the player's areas, i'm not trying to do it for the explosion's noises I try to do it as a trap.
Edit: the barrles aren't to kill the player from far away they r used to kill monsters near the player and to make him run away or to kill him with the monsters.

You can send a barrel through a teleporter while it is exploding. I think it does its damage during the second to last frame; In any case I made one with the crushed barrel 96 units away and the teleport line 40 units away, and it hurts you quite instantly. One problem is that players and monsters can block them from teleporting.

I think you would be able to teleport any decoration that can be pushed, it happens that barrels are the only pushable thing...maybe?

Another flaw, you get that green fog going on :P You could remove the sprites hehe

iHaveToPee said:

if they r in a

Please note that the forum rules require that at least an effort is made to use proper English. We understand that not everyone's English is perfect, and that the occasional typo is inevitable, but deliberately bad English is not OK. This isn't an AOL chat room.

iHaveToPee said:

Yeah but if they r in a different sector so the explosions have no connections to the player's areas, i'm not trying to do it for the explosion's noises I try to do it as a trap.

Just place them close enough to the player then.
forge.wad has an example of this near the beginning, up the stairs.
Of course, such a trap can be easily defeated. Unless one doesn't expect it to be there.

A reliable trap would be to just teleport the player on a barrel, ie. telefrag it.

Teleporting the barrel isn't very reliable without conveyor belts, since the only alternative is moving it by damage (for instance by crushing another nearby barrel), which unfortunately depends on random numbers and thus is prone to fail (especially, but not exclusive to skill 1). Also the teleportation can fail if the target spot is occupied, since barrels won't telefrag.

As you might notice, voodoo scripting was a huge improvement for these sort of things, and is available in any Boom compatible port. Since the availability is broad, ie. almost any port supports Boom line types, it might be an option for you.

LogicDeLuxe said:

A reliable trap would be to just teleport the player on a barrel, ie. telefrag it.

Such a trap is suitable for the last level of each episode because that trap is used to avoid the player from keeping his weapons to the next episode, however I guess that I will use it in random levels due to lack of traps.

check gusta's ksutra map20, it's got exactly what you are looking for. he stuffs closets with barrels and combines crushers with WR teleports to carpet bomb certain areas.