Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bgraybr

Random old FPS Ports?

Is this Build engine port still active? The last update was in 2008. Are Redneck Rampage, Powerslave, Tekwar, etc. getting ports anytime soon? The only Build Engine game that looks active anymore is Duke Nukem 3D.

Also, I could have sworn that I saw a thread on Doomworld about modding Shadowcaster and Cyclones, but I can't find it now. Did i ever go anywhere?

The last release of JFBuild was October 2005, so I'd say it's either dead or dying. As for other ports, there's SWP for Shadow Warrior, eRampage for Redneck Rampage, EDuke32 for NAM/Napalm and Transfusion for Blood (which appears to have stalled). Don't know about Powerslave but there probably won't be any Tekwar ports until the legality of it's source release is resolved.

As for Shadowcaster modding, here you go -

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/43927-shadowcaster-modding/
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/51101-shadowcaster-modding-2-the-remoddening/

EDuke32 is a direct continuation of JonoF's port, and is still updated regularly, although it doesn't support any other non-Duke BUILD games apart from NAM, as far as I can remember.

Revenant said:

EDuke32 is a direct continuation of JonoF's port, and is still updated regularly, although it doesn't support any other non-Duke BUILD games apart from NAM, as far as I can remember.

Believe it had support for WW2 GI too if I remember correctly.

GreyGhost said:

You know, i seen it searching for some ports for old games, but due to the lack of in-game screenshots, and so I was a little doubtful to download on my computer, greyghost the advice you instead? It 'better than others?

EDIT: Oh, i also downloaded this yesterday: YANG, is a multiplayer port, looks like a sort of Zdaemon for build games (duke3d, shadow warrior, etc.), but i don't tried it anyway...

bgraybr said:

Also, I could have sworn that I saw a thread on Doomworld about modding Shadowcaster

I'd love a Shadowcaster port, but that's waaay beyond my technical skills; especially without the source. I've never made assembly code, so I can't make heads or tails of what a disassembler would tell me.

In the "not really a port, but very close", there's of course DarkXL.
http://www.df-21.net/phpbb/index.php?c=3

Gez said:

I'd love a Shadowcaster port, but that's waaay beyond my technical skills; especially without the source. I've never made assembly code, so I can't make heads or tails of what a disassembler would tell me.

In the "not really a port, but very close", there's of course DarkXL.
http://www.df-21.net/phpbb/index.php?c=3

I can't even wrap my head around writing "hello world" in assembly. :P Hopefully one will get made eventually, but that's doubtful with there being no released source.

Isn't DarkXL a source port?

bgraybr said:

Isn't DarkXL a source port?

The chances of LucasArts releasing source code is... slim. DarkXL is all guesswork from what I know; maybe there was some disassembly/hackery too.

DarkXL is the result of reverse engineering file formats and testing behaviours and such. So is DaggerXL. Lucius is a clever programmer.

Learning to do simple programs in assembly isn't hard. Complex things like games are another story.

I'm really hoping someone puts out a really great ROTT port. I know there's ROTT32, but it is kind of obscure :/

PimPamPet said:

There's WinROTT GL, that one's pretty good.

It's a little fussy on certain PC's and can be pretty unstable. Still, it's getting better all the time. Personally, I'd be happy with ROTT just being ported to SDL a la Wolf3D. The game is perfectly playable as it stands. It would just be nice to have it fully compatible with Windows (and other) systems.

My dream source port would be Alien Breed 3D. I loved that game...

Well, if you want to run ROTT closer to the original game you can always just use Dosbox, its been stable with every game that I've tried so far... still, more ports would be nice.

I'm having a hard time with a few other emulators... I found a few good games for the Amiga, but I'm having trouble getting them to run. I've never used an Amiga so I don't even know where to begin, or which version the game was designed to run on.

Main reason I want a ROTT port is for online multiplayer. ROTT has the most amazing multiplayer experience ever.

The ZDoom TC (Return of the Triad) should take care of the online game. I would love this TC to develop into it's own thing rather than 'just' a ZDoom add-on...