Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

Probably said this already in elsewhere but...

... If they're gonna get back that Icon of Sin, make that bastard to rise on its feet and turn that lamer into best final boss fight in the century.

That's one helluva wish, eh? :P

Avoozl said:

But if they are demonicly possessed then they can still do everything they could before, Doom's so called zombiemen are actually possessed humans officially called "Former Humans" and were zsecs in Doom 3, merely humans demonicly possessed while they were still alive rather than dead people rising from the grave (where ever they last died) like the zombies introduced in Doom 3, I think the Doom universe treats possessed people and zombies differenly from eachother.

Yea, good point I guess, thinking about it Doom 3 actually showed that quite well.

Whatever they do with Doom 4 I hope it plays well, I just dont want to come across bad guys that are a real pain to fight and not fun.

however... I would not like to see doom 4 become call of duty: demonic warfare... id has NOT let me down so far so I hope I have nothing to worry about, except if co-op will be there, but that's a different story...

bcwood16 said:

Yea, good point I guess, thinking about it Doom 3 actually showed that quite well.

Whatever they do with Doom 4 I hope it plays well, I just dont want to come across bad guys that are a real pain to fight and not fun.

I thought the replicas in FEAR were really fun to fight. It would be fun if some of the former soldiers were smart and tactical like the replicas.

doom_is_great said:

I thought the replicas in FEAR were really fun to fight. It would be fun if some of the former soldiers were smart and tactical like the replicas.

the replicas were one of the most entertaining enemy soldiers to fight in my opinion

mrthejoshmon said:

however... I would not like to see doom 4 become call of duty: demonic warfare... id has NOT let me down so far so I hope I have nothing to worry about, except if co-op will be there, but that's a different story...

Games like COD can be fun (in small doses) but I don't think co-op is a COD ripoff's saving grace. Doom needs to be totally different from those games for me to have a reason to invest time in it.

DASI-I said:

Games like COD can be fun (in small doses) but I don't think co-op is a COD ripoff's saving grace. Doom needs to be totally different from those games for me to have a reason to invest time in it.

that is my point exactly and id has not flopped so far...
except the cod part... cod just sucks

CorSair said:

... If they're gonna get back that Icon of Sin, make that &%#*@ to rise on its feet and turn that lamer into best final boss fight in the century.

It can be done! From a technical standpoint, it is very possible, especially with today's talent. id just needs to exercise a bit of imagination.

My friend brought me somewhere to use the Oculous. I tried it for 10 minutes and kept feeling stupid that I was a guy in a room interacting with something no one else could see. I also had this fear that I'd misstep and bump into something or totally end up elsewhere in the room.

I told the guy that and he said oh you'll just have to get used to it. So they made me play 20 minutes more and afterward I still felt the same way.

geo said:

My friend brought me somewhere to use the Oculous. I tried it for 10 minutes and kept feeling stupid that I was a guy in a room interacting with something no one else could see. I also had this fear that I'd misstep and bump into something or totally end up elsewhere in the room.

I told the guy that and he said oh you'll just have to get used to it. So they made me play 20 minutes more and afterward I still felt the same way.

How would you describe the experience? I've heard a lot of people saying it's kind of weird (in a good way)

Hmm, let's see:
- NPCs, and competent, mostly-independent ones at that. You still got the strong-willed population armed with whatever firearm they could find (which differ from the stock weaponry; they cannot be dropped) that can hold off the hordes until the ships arrive. The ships pick up every last person on Earth about a third into the game, and you stay behind to contain the invasion yourself. By this point, instead of being action-packed and filled with story elements, it is eerily quiet and you basically figure out what to do with only a handful of hints available.
- Several Earth environments: a starport, a rural town, a highway, a suburbs, and then a city. The highway and the inner city have no people, only monsters.
- You have the BFG9000 from the original Doom, but it is somehow destroyed early in the game. You must find a secret lab in the city that can not only repair it, but upgrade it into the more powerful, somewhat different-looking BFG10K. 1 or 2 BFG10K's can still be found in Hell, or worse, wielded by a (rather weak) zombieman.
- In Hell, the portal is heavily guarded, but after that, demons are rare. Then, the further the player progresses, the more demons and ammo there is. Unfortunately, only ammo that the zombies and some demons use is available, and thus, there is no cell ammo, save for the dead marines scattered around that might supply some.
- Along with the M9 Pistol and BFG9000, you get an M16-like combat rifle. The rifle can be semi-auto, 3-round burst, or full-auto, and it could have a medium-powered scope attached to it.
- There are a multitude of cybernetic demons of different sizes and different weapons. Obviously, there's the classic Cyberdemon, which would stand 3 stories tall and has a good ol' rocket launcher and a claw/fireball attack. Then there are lesser cyberdemons that range from as tall as the player to 2 stories tall, sporting various attachments and weapons, such as a 4-barreled riot shotgun, a chaingun, a plasma gun, or hell, even a chainsaw.
- Obviously, the Baphomet final battle. However, you fight it a little bit in Hell after it just broke out of its recovery chamber (aka Icon of Sin), then it retreats and summons various monsters while doing so. The player then spots a closing portal and must fight his way through to it before it closes; if it does, then the game ends right there. If the player gets through, he gets back on Earth to find Baphomet there, staging a full-scale assault on the ships heading to Mars. The battle here is easier, as there is more ammo, and harder, as you must stop the assault on the ships before it begins. The battle takes quite a lot of ammo and a lot of health.
- Almost anything can be a melee weapon, granted it could be picked up and is hard and durable. Unfortunately, under berserk, said melee weapons break after one hit.
- Magazine reloading takes about a second, and shells are loaded 2 at a time. The rocket launcher, being full-auto like the classic one, normally does not reload due to ammo teleportation technology that works better with weapons that aren't rapid-fire (it hasn't been used in shotguns yet). This system actually consumes 1 cell per rocket; the launcher itself can hold 3 rounds, then manual reloading is required if there is no cell ammo.
- Health pickups heal gradually (probably around 10hp a second) instead of instantly. Like Duke Nukem 3D, certain interactions restore a small portion of health. Health can regenerate, but only at 1hp/second after 10 seconds when at 80+.
- Special >100 health pickups have no upper limit, but similar to Quake, the health degenerates to 100 at 1hp/second.
- The more armor points you have, the more it protects (e.g. 50ap = 25% protection, 100ap = 50% protection, 200ap = 75% protection). Also, over 100ap can slow you down.
- Speaking of speed, you run very fast by modern video game standards, and there is a stamina system similar to Doom 3. You can jump up ledges 5 feet tall and climb up 8 foot walls. You can go through vents when crouching, allowing you to get to securely-locked and protected areas.
- Only secure, bulletproof doors/rooms require keycards. You can destroy most normal locked doors.
- Some hub systems where appropriate, such as in large, complex buildings.
That's all the ideas I have for now.

How about borrow a bit from Super Metroid, the Mother Brain transformation, for the last boss battle? Bring back the Baphomet, have you defeat it after only four rocket blasts to the brain. After it's supposedly dead, it comes back to life, rips apart the wall, and we see the head attached to a titanic goat body, and its heading right for you! While it's stalking you, you're climbing the tops of derelict buildings and trying to aim some rockets into its brain in the process. It would destroy everything in its path, try to bite you, and then teleport multiple monsters to hinder you... That would be a really hard boss.

CorSair said:

... If they're gonna get back that Icon of Sin, make that bastard to rise on its feet and turn that lamer into best final boss fight in the century.

I guess ambitious minds think alike, eh?

Reading through some of the recent stuff here and remembering older, it's funny how I can already tell that 99% of you guys will be so disappointed with DOOM 4, how everyone will complain that id doesn't know what DOOM is about, that this monster is not included, that this bit is too linear. No matter how good it is, it's gonna be ripped to shreds by the know-it-all DOOM community.

Touchdown said:

Reading through some of the recent stuff here and remembering older, it's funny how I can already tell that 99% of you guys will be so disappointed with DOOM 4, how everyone will complain that id doesn't know what DOOM is about, that this monster is not included, that this bit is too linear. No matter how good it is, it's gonna be ripped to shreds by the know-it-all DOOM community.

Yeah, I get the very same feeling. It's almost as if they WANT it to fail. which I find absurd.

After RAGE, my gut tells me that while they might take modern FPS features, they will also try to innovate it gameplay-wise, and nonlinear levels could be just that.

I think some people go overboard with the hype as a way to stimulating the same part of the mind that they hope the game will eventually satisfy. The problem being that they overstimulate, and develop completely unrealistic expectations. I did the same thing when I was a lad, regarding the release of Turok 2.

I expect Doom 4 to be 1) fun, and 2) visually stimulating. I don't think that's unreasonable. It's the details of what they do with those factors that determine whether I'll buy the game new or used.

I find it interesting that some people were disappointed by DOOM 3, then they were disappointed by RAGE and still believe DOOM 4 will crush all the other games and be the best game ever for them. I'm not saying D4 will be like the two earlier id games. But the truth is if someone didn't like them, I really don't think DOOM 4 will be any different for such person.

Personally I love D3 and had a lot of fun with RAGE so I don't really expect to be massively disappointed with DOOM 4, if at all. Sure I too have a lot of unreasonable hype just because it's DOOM we're talking about. It won't satisfy my deepest desires for a a DOOM game. But, like I said sometime before, I'm interested to see what vision id guys have for an up-to-date DOOM entry. It'll be great to see where they're taking it after all the lessons they've learnt from RAGE.

Touchdown said:

I find it interesting that some people were disappointed by DOOM 3, then they were disappointed by RAGE and still believe DOOM 4 will crush all the other games and be the best game ever for them. I'm not saying D4 will be like the two earlier id games. But the truth is if someone didn't like them, I really don't think DOOM 4 will be any different for such person.

Personally I love D3 and had a lot of fun with RAGE so I don't really expect to be massively disappointed with DOOM 4, if at all. Sure I too have a lot of unreasonable hype just because it's DOOM we're talking about. It won't satisfy my deepest desires for a a DOOM game. But, like I said sometime before, I'm interested to see what vision id guys have for an up-to-date DOOM entry. It'll be great to see where they're taking it after all the lessons they've learnt from RAGE.

Well, they only failed once (I think they failed twice but that's just me). All I am quite certain of is that like every Id game (even the disappointing ones) it WILL have at least one very good feature, of course it's not enough, and they need to do much better in Doom 4 than in Doom 3. Good is not good enough, especially not from them.

This:

Touchdown said:

And this:

Touchdown said:

...are pretty much how I feel. I KNOW Doom is not going to re-define the industry all over again, and (save for possibly setting a higher standard in terms of graphical fidelity) I know it won't be ground-breaking either. I expect an awesome game, but I don't expect a game that will re-define things.

Doom 4... 20 years of hype.

Maybe the game should focus less on graphics more on a small 320 x 240 resolution stretched out with 2D maps that look 3D so there will be no problem running 64 mph.

everyone in Id should now play brutaldoom intensively, before planning the ah gameplay

edit: duhh perhaps even doom itself

My expectations will not be meant if "Doom 4" were to significantly stray from the core fundamentals. Removing demonic elements or unloading endless minigames on the player, for instance, would be particularly extreme examples.

My expectations will be met if the familiar aesthetics of military, industrial, science fiction, demonic and archaic are retained, and the controls are solid.

My expectations will be blown away if id manages to evoke the same frightening, alien response to "Doom" many of us had years ago during our first experiences.

For that to happen, I think "Doom 4" would have to really push the envelope with nightmarish, surreal environments, grotesque monster designs, aggressively hyper-masculine gunplay and unapologetic viscera. Those elements gave the original "Doom" much of its appeal over other shooters of the time, and I see no reason why that couldn't be done again today, even in the wake of franchises like "Dead Space," "Crysis," "Far Cry," "Gears of War" and others.

GoatLord said:

My expectations will not be meant if "Doom 4" were to significantly stray from the core fundamentals. Removing demonic elements or unloading endless minigames on the player, for instance, would be particularly extreme examples.

My expectations will be met if the familiar aesthetics of military, industrial, science fiction, demonic and archaic are retained, and the controls are solid.

My expectations will be blown away if id manages to evoke the same frightening, alien response to "Doom" many of us had years ago during our first experiences.

For that to happen, I think "Doom 4" would have to really push the envelope with nightmarish, surreal environments, grotesque monster designs, aggressively hyper-masculine gunplay and unapologetic viscera. Those elements gave the original "Doom" much of its appeal over other shooters of the time, and I see no reason why that couldn't be done again today, even in the wake of franchises like "Dead Space," "Crysis," "Far Cry," "Gears of War" and others.

It is meant to be action-oriented, demonic/religious elements are confirmed as well. I don't see how minigames would break anything, especially that they're optional.

Carmack said they are aiming for even faster responsiveness than in RAGE and the "gritty, visceral" feel of the action mechanics.

DOOM 4 will not give you the same feelings you had 20 years ago. Too many factors affected the initial response and the current perception of it, including youth, state of the industry / gaming back then and time that has passed since.