Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

The chaingun is kind of like a sub version of a minigun, basically the idea of it would probably just be a highspeed 9mm belt-fed SMG but ingame it isn't really as fast as it could be, however in Wolfenstein 3D it seems to be quite fast.

If people expect levels like D1 and D2 + heavy metal music with no story - character development they would be disappointed, it is hard thing to make it in a modern AAA game, because it would sound as a low budget indie game. Just look at the new Wolfenstein, it has cutscenes and character background, the soundtrack features real sounds of the environments, but devs will keep some old school factors.

According to old rumors D4 would happen in earth like D2, but due to graphic limitations of that time, there are few places in D2 that remind earth, most of them had no connections with a futuristic-apocaliptic earth at all.

A D4 would feature a futuristic city in chaos due to hell forces attack, so it would be very different from the simple levels and textures of D2. We would have something like the pictures from an old version of D4 leaked some years ago: a city in chaos, abandoned buildings and cars in streets, corpses everywhere, some survivors trying to fight back like you and of course, featuring a city would be able to make a more open area with a good exploration factor, several ways to follow in order to arrive somewhere, you could walk in streets, explore some buildings, try to explore an abandoned subway etc, you are free to choose the way you want to go to reach the objective.

Off course in this case, real sounds befitting the environments would be more acceptable than heavy metal music all the time.

Putting that aside, I want to see:

- Gore, I want so see the corpses of the demons I killed on the floor, with blood, guts exposed, etc... Monsters that disappear like D3 were boring.
- Hordes of demons in open fields;
- A survival - horror tone but it doesn't mean there can't be action, you can have both action + dark - horror tone at the same time;
- Cool redesign of the weapons, in a futuristic game, weapons must look(I really liked the design of the BFG in DOOM movie) futuristic;
- New monsters, especially big monsters like Cyberdemon - spider mastermind, it would be pretty boring if they didn't bring a new set of interesting and terrifying monsters;
- Cool redesign of the old monsters, ID should hire the guy who made those redesigns of some iconic monsters, I can see them fitting perfectly in D4:

Lost Soul:

Pain Elemental:

Arachnotron:

Archvile:

Mancubus:

Spider Mastermind:

For the pink demons and imps, their desingns in DOOM movie are acceptable for a D4 game.(I love the tires in the pink's back they are better than than the mechanic legs in D3)

*eyes explode*

Yeah, that's how awesome I think those monsters look.

I'm not a fan of the Archvile but I think the Arachnotron looks perfect. Nice work!

We're throwing pictures around now? Oh well, take a look at this one:

Like I wrote in a previous post, there is nothing I'd like more than to see them mimic the original visuals as close as they can while still maintaining a look that can be brought into 201X and shape somewhat realistic worlds. That concept there goes pretty well in hand with that.

Honestly, out of this batch I only like the D3 Pinky. Maybe a Pain Elemental but it looks more like a Zerg rather than demon.

I've seen all of that fanart before and I think a lot of them are really great, although the Archvile is a bit silly looking. On a related note, I personally feel that some of Cannibal Corpse's album art captures the kind of horrific imagery I'd like to see in a new Doom game:

http://images.coveralia.com/audio/c/Cannibal_Corpse-Bloodthirst-Interior_Frontal.jpg?354

http://e-shop.season-of-mist.com/images/covers/high/0039841427721.jpg

http://www.hrrshop.de/bilder/produkte/gross/CANNIBAL-CORPSE-Live-Cannibalism-DLP-CLEAR.jpg

Also, this gem from Severe Torture:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hswUeKkN7Ug/TD7OCfx7qbI/AAAAAAAAAOw/8FA_MGryMxM/s1600/Feasting+On+Blood+-+front.jpg

Shaviro said:

Like I wrote in a previous post, there is nothing I'd like more than to see them mimic the original visuals as close as they can while still maintaining a look that can be brought into 201X and shape somewhat realistic worlds. That concept there goes pretty well in hand with that.

I honestly wish you were working with id on Doom 4.

Talk about dual wielding shotguns and reloading issues: terminator style reloading would work and would also look cool when does that on screen with 2 guns. I think farcry 3: blood dragon had terminator style shotgun reloading.

The fourth monster pic of the few at the top of the thread page looks like something from Dragon Age.

I'm not so sure of that Baron pic, I don't so much like how it's snout seems to almost resemble a pig snout, the original Baron's snout is more curved upways.

Avoozl said:

The fourth monster pic of the few at the top of the thread page looks like something from Dragon Age.

I'm not so sure of that Baron pic, I don't so much like how it's snout seems to almost resemble a pig snout, the original Baron's snout is more curved upways.

I think it's called nitpicking.

The thing I want most in Doom 4 is the same satisfying weapon usage as classic Doom. For example, killing imps with one blast from the shotgun, demons with one blast from the SS, barons and arachs with 3 blasts from the SS, shutting down a Pain Elemental or Revenant with the chaingun.

Shaviro: there is nothing I'd like more than to see them mimic the original visuals as close as they can

Also this. I think this is something Doom 3 got very wrong. I understand the type of game was supposed to be different, more survival horror, so whatever. I hope Doom 4 will in fact return to the run&gun style with less "serious" graphics and more homage to the originals.

I agree with everything Tomocean22 said. One of the things that prevented Doom 3 and Doom 64 from being as classic as the original games were the lack monster identification. Very often it wasn't until later that I realized "Oh, that's supposed to be a Cacodemon/Archvile etc." Also, the weapons in Doom 3 sucked and completely lacked the satisfaction of the (at the time) 10 year old originals.

I honestly have pretty low hopes for Doom 4. Id Software sounds like they have been in turmoil for quite some time and I can't imagine the final product being anything we hoped it would be.

Come on, guys, quit being pessimistic. I've played Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Doom 64, Doom 3 and PSX Doom and I liked every single game. I'm not concerned about the approach they take or how the demons are going to look. As long as it isn't Doom in name only and the gameplay is awesome, I'll settle for it. I mean seriously, 90% of the posts I've seen in this thread are either "Doom 4 needs to be this way or else I'll be greatly disappointed" or "Fuck it, it's not going to be good anyway". Are you afraid of change or what?

I for one am not afraid of change. Doom 3 looks and feels totally different from 1 and 2, a brave move considering that the Doom brand carries with it certain expectations. Aside from the dreadfully repetitive maps, mostly uninspired monster/weapon design and lack of variety, it's a pretty fantastic looking game that, at times, truly delivers in terms of what the original games were so good at: Moody lighting, a strong sense of immersion, intense fire fights, the occasional fear factor.

But Doom 3 also kinda sucks eggs in Hell. It was an excellent example of how id's philosophy of building a fun game around an impressive tech demo had the potential to backfire, which it did. Doom 3 is riddled with small issues that add up; issues that suggest a surprising amount of naïveté during the playtesting stage. There's no excuse for unsatisfying guns that frequently feel ineffective, especially the most iconic weapon in the series (the shotgun, of course). There's no excuse for firefights that quickly lose their appeal because of the spawning gimmick that turns about half of your battles into crowning imps. There's no excuse for layouts that are unapologetically linear, yet are confusing due to a severe lack of light, which can cause you to lose your bearings almost instantly. There's no excuse for a player speed that is unrealistically slow, to the point where sprinting feels like power walking. There's no excuse for contrasting dark, serious gameplay with cutscenes so asinine, it feels like high school fan fiction. There's no excuse for sound design that ranges from horrifyingly appropriate to embarrassingly amateur.

There was way more technology to deal with in Doom 3 than any previous id project, and clearly they were not prepared to put the amount of love needed into the gameplay. My beef is with id being clueless about fine tuning every aspect of their games. In the old days, there was less to fine tune, so a game like the original Doom was capable of far more replay value. There's several orders of magnitude more to take into account now, with id having one final chance at maintaining relevance in a highly competitive, over- saturated market.

If Wolfenstein is what I think it is then Bethesda would be wise to close Id Software, get rid of the bad developers and move the good ones to Machinegames...but this really depends on how good Wolfenstein is.

MFG38 said:

I mean seriously, 90% of the posts I've seen in this thread are either "Doom 4 needs to be this way or else I'll be greatly disappointed"

That would be because the title of the thread is "Doom 4 should have...". It is literally the point of the thread for us to discuss what the game should have, and as a consequence, what we would be disappointed to not see.

GoatLord said:

Doom 3 also kinda sucks eggs in Hell. It was an excellent example of how id's philosophy of building a fun game around an impressive tech demo had the potential to backfire, which it did.

I totally agree - This is what I worry about with Doom 4: id making demonstrating the engine more important than the game. Example: RAGE. I played it for about 10 seconds on the xbox 360 and the imprecise camera controls made the game unplayable for me. To spend so much time making a game which showed off the engine, but not make fluid camera controls is ridiculous.

DooM_RO said:

If the game is that unfinished and going nowhere then why is Bethesda hyping the DOOM beta? Are they taking a leap of faith, hoping the project will magically come together after 6 years of failing? Also, hyping a beta with no game to speak of? They could have easily come up with a different Pre-Order bonus but they chose the DOOM beta. Why, if the development is going all wrong?

Yeah, it is exaggerated at least.

Oculus VR has only 5 engineers from id. I don't see how that can be 'entire tech team'. And only 50 people are working on Doom 4? I've been tracking id's Linkedin for years and since last year, number of employees decreased but only about 15%, not 70%.