Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

Correction: Knowing id, whatever "new" things they add will mostly detract, rather than add, to gameplay.

GoatLord said:

A new school take on that would be fucking AWESOME. One of the best things about Doom 64.

Totally, can you imagine it?

Some ribcage thing with beating organs on the inside shooting lazers! Its the most metal thing ever.

I actually made contact with an id software employee who asked me what I wanted to see in Doom 4, and among many things I mentioned the unmaker. We'll just have to see what happens ;)

Marnetmar said:

I actually made contact with an id software employee who asked me what I wanted to see in Doom 4, and among many things I mentioned the unmaker. We'll just have to see what happens ;)

Pics or it didn't happen!

I'd like to see them go full-on Hieronymus Bosch with Hell this time.

Actually, no I wouldn't. That's more ACE Team's style than id's.

I just want Hell to be really cool. They had the right idea, I think, in Doom 3 - just start making the game from Hell, then work backwards from there, because that's what everyone is looking forward to!

I believe this game would greatly benefit with yet another horror ambient soundtrack by yours truly, Aubrey Hodges.

Aldaraia said:

I believe this game would greatly benefit with yet another horror ambient soundtrack by yours truly, Aubrey Hodges.

Aldaraia said:

I've always thought that Slayer should make the soundtrack because for me, the band is synonymous with Doom. From the cover art to the lyrics. Would be awesome if they hired H.R Giger too... I can only dream.

yellowmadness54 said:

I wanna see the unmaker back.

That would be s cool, especialy with modern game engines able to make it even COOLER :)

I think more than anything, I want to be able to immediately jump into the game like you can with the old games. I know there will be a short adjustment period as I learn the controls, but they won't likely be fundamentally different than other shooters, so there's no need for a lengthy in-game tutorial system.

Probably I'm wrong but IMO there wouldn't be a bad idea to remake some ot at least one classic Doom texture(s) as super-HD texture in Doom 4 - just to increase the classic FPS feeling.

Krispy said:

I just want a few berserk packs. And brass knuckles.

Did Doom 3 have Beserk Packs- I can't recall any.

Leon said:

Did Doom 3 have Beserk Packs- I can't recall any.

Yeah, they were these floating helmet looking things. The effect only lasted for like 30 seconds though.

Playing Left 4 Dead 1 reminded me of the original Doom in terms of you start at a safe room and need to make it to the exit which is another safe room. Only you have 3 friends with you.

Yeah, it's just too bad the L4D games have so little enemy variety. Sure, there's a bunch of different zombies, but at the end of the day, it's just...zombies, and nothing else. All full grown adult zombies. Kinda boring after awhile. However, the level design, while ultimately pretty linear, gives you a lot of wiggle room to explore, which is cool.

So delightfully ironic to see PC-elitists in favor of not porting the game to any system besides PC (which is not realistic anyway), while at the other hand everyone wants to see the Unmaker in Doom 4, which is a weapon from a console Doom game.

Who's being elitist about it not being ported? I think the only issue in that respect is that it should be designed for PC, then ported, instead of the other way around like with Rage.

GoatLord said:

I think the only issue in that respect is that it should be designed for PC, then ported, instead of the other way around like with Rage.

That's never going to happen, every multiplatform game is being made on consoles first. Then again I don't see an issue considering current consoles can do pretty much everything gameplay-wise that PC can do and the only difference is controller. The only problem is the hand-holding mentality that shows regardless of whether the game is PC-exclusive or not. Duke Nukem Forever was made on a PC and then ported but it's no different than shooters designed on consoles first.

GoatLord said:

Who's being elitist about it not being ported? I think the only issue in that respect is that it should be designed for PC, then ported, instead of the other way around like with Rage.

Just read through the comments in this topic.

I remember that ID Software said before releasing Rage that they designed the game for every platform, not just consoles or PC. I think this is a good mindset to have, because it prevents console users from getting a butchered port (Duke Nukem Forever for example is barely playable on consoles). PC users can have a better resolution and more bells and whistles anyway, so I don't see the issue.

GoatLord said:

Yeah, it's just too bad the L4D games have so little enemy variety. Sure, there's a bunch of different zombies, but at the end of the day, it's just...zombies, and nothing else. All full grown adult zombies. Kinda boring after awhile. However, the level design, while ultimately pretty linear, gives you a lot of wiggle room to explore, which is cool.

I wasn't a fan of L4D 1 let alone L4D 2. It felt like a total chore and a slog to play.... even online and with friends.

Buttttt.... it does have some cool ideas like zombie generators. Which is why there should be dozens or hundreds of clothings and just randomly put them on Zombies. I've pitched the idea before of random mutilation. Some are missing an arm, some are missing legs but still crawling around.

With the L4D formula (that people would probably hate for Doom's 64 mph gameplay), Imps could pounce on you having to rely on someone else to save you. Cacodemons could explode into smoke. Pinkies could be the new tanks. Wraiths could vomit to attract something more horrific than zombies.... Trites. Why not have Trites crawl up the marine's back?

All of this probably wouldn't be Doom like at all. Doom is more of just a shooting gallery.

I envision DOOM 4 being something along the lines of DOOM 2. Rumors have it that DOOM 4 will be a remake of DOOM 2. DOOM 4 will probably have tons of violence (like Goatlord said) and it will contain some heavy metal. Now if the game has heavy metal.... I can imagine this... when you are exploring around the area you hear some ambience... when you encounter a horde of enemies you can hear heavy metal. Or they can put in some retro metal. I myself like retro metal and it'd be a nice touch to hear a Slayer song! :D

But umm.... does anyone remember when everybody was talking about what DOOM 2000 would have?! Yeah, well this seems a lot like that DOOM 2000 topic. Now if only John Carmack would announce DOOM 4. P.S Should they return to Classic Shotgun?! Yes or no?! Because honestly I think they should return to Classic feel and look. Just saying.

I envision Doom 4 as more of iD's idea of Half Life 2 just like Doom 3 was their take on Half Life 1. I still think it should be called anything but Doom so people don't automatically dislike it as a besmirch to the Doom name for not being 1990s enough.

Now that I think about it. Has anybody here played Resident Evil 1?! I have, and now that I think about it. I think DOOM 4 might be a bit like DOOM 2 meets Resident Evil 1. It isn't all about shooting, there are some puzzles, and it scares the shit out of you from time to time. But it's not DOOM 3 that takes place in labs 100% of the fucking game. No, I mean like... it takes place in labs like 5% of the game. That's all. Maybe it might take place in a mansion a little bit, but honestly. I really want DOOM 4 to be a lot like DOOM 2... but with all the innovations we've made in gaming. Like...

Ragdoll physics. Just imagine a Pinky being flung across the map when you finally kill it with a Super Shotgun... ah the laughter and glory.

Cutscenes. I want to see some intro cinematic for each level that makes the player feel like "HOLY CRAP THIS GAME IS FUCKING AWESOME" just imagine a Chaingunner shooting at you in the Cinematic and from a third person perspective we see DOOMGuy roll the fuck out of the way to a brick building, only to see an Imp jumping down on him. The camera suddenly goes into the player's perspective and you use your shotgun in real time.

Real time destruction. I want to see buildings get destroyed when a Cyberdemon shoots at it. Just imagine that.

More Dismemberment. Brutal DOOM is a good example of what I'm looking for in DOOM 4. I want to feel like I am tearing away skin, flesh, and organs. I am no psychopath I just want to see TONS of Dismembement. I don't care if it gets banned in some countries. I just want it to be like when DOOM was first released. Scary, bloody, intense.

Reloading. Sure some people might bitch, "OH RELOADING ISN'T CLASSIC DOOM!" so what?! I played Brutal Doom with the Pistol Addon. Reloading really does make the game more intense. Maybe even add in a mechanic where your gun gets jammed and you have to find another one. Would add to the realism and intensity of the game.

Heavy metal music. I know you guys might hate me for this. But honestly, what about this for an idea?! Retro metal. Not the whole game. Just for the battle sequences. Otherwise you guys can have your scary-ass Resident Evil music blasting.

Making the monsters look scary. I really want to jump out of my chair when I turn around a corner and see a Pinky. I want to jump and scream and shit because it looks so fucking scary.

Storyline. Yeah I know some people are like "A story doesn't belong in DOOM" and shit like that. But stories in video games work if done right (see Resident Evil (1996) Half-Life (1998) Bioshock (2009?!))

Medikits. Ditch this regenerating health shit. Medikits are much more realistic and it would add a lot more tension and intensity to the player. And it would really want to make the player explore an area.

Secrets. I want to see tons of secrets. I really want an urge to explore an level.

Weapons. The weapons should look powerful, and sound powerful.

Levels. The levels should feel scary, creepy, and you want to explore more but at the same time you are scared and want to get the fuck out.

HUD. I want the HUD to look like the Classic DOOM HUD modernized. I really love seeing the Doomguy's face. Really makes me feel like I am DOOMGuy.

So anyways, guys. I want to know what you think about DOOM 4. But uh yeah, that's what I think about DOOM 4.

Yeah, medkits are very realistic. Whenever I get shot into my chest, I just ducktape a few medkits to it and I'm ready to go again.

Game vs reality. Game is more fun than reality. Playing Fallout 3 and having people talk with me, give me missions doesn't seem realistic and now I'm at an age where after playing Morrowind / Oblivion / Fallout 3 I wonder why they fuck do these people give a stranger such tasks. Do you ever walk into a McDonalds kitchen to ask.... what can I do to help? They'd say get the fuck out of here, you don't work here. Call the cops.

Games are fun because they aren't realistic. But... there's something to say that being terrified because of realism is fun. Like a horror movie / Resident Evil's tank controls. I don't know about you, but I can sprint damn fast and I'd assume everyone else can too. But in Resident Evil you can't and it brings the oh no he's gonna get me! feeling which raises a fun level for some people.