Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

TB171 said:

No offense, but I know you just said that as an excuse to cover up what you said.

I want to apologize to you and to anybody else I offended.... listen I'm really sorry, what about this.... I GOT IT! What about this?! Mix heavy metal and ambience music! :D Just imagine! It'd be scary!!!!!! Maybe death metal and ambience instead!!!!! No lyrics and singing though. (As much as I want South of Heaven by Slayer in DOOM 4 with singing and everything)

I've secretly been hoping that the soundtrack of Doom 4 sticks somewhere around the D_E1M3/D_E1M5 sort of style than anything else. Tense music that simultaneously drives the player forward.

idSoftware981 said:

I want to apologize to you and to anybody else I offended.... listen I'm really sorry, what about this.... I GOT IT! What about this?! Mix heavy metal and ambience music! :D Just imagine! It'd be scary!!!!!! Maybe death metal and ambience instead!!!!! No lyrics and singing though. (As much as I want South of Heaven by Slayer in DOOM 4 with singing and everything)

No.

Agentbromsnor said:

No.

Forget it... we will just have a mix of music... ranging from PC DOOM styled music, to PSX DOOM styled music, to DOOM 64 styled music, to DOOM 3 styled music, to DOOM PC styled music... you get the idea.

Marnetmar said:

I think some good Sonic Mayhem-esque industrial metal tracks could work quite well. Something like this or this

Although obviously I'd like to see some good ambient tracks mixed in there as well.

I thought about that too. I think it worked for the first two Quake games, but Doom? Not so sure.

idSoftware981 said:

No. Heavy metal + Ambience would be sorta dumb and (like said before) would kill the tone.

For example, play ambient music (any kind that's scary )and playback any Slayer/Metallica song at the same time. If that's what you mean, then it doesn't excactly fit well IMO :\

TB171 said:

No. Heavy metal + Ambience would be incredibly stupid and (like said before) would kill the atmosphere.

For example, make a music edit with E1M1's soundtrack in HD quality, then play it with the PSX soundtrack at the same time. See? Exactly.

Either you're intentionally misrepresenting his argument to make him look dumber or you need some glasses.

Marnetmar said:

Either you're intentionally misrepresenting his argument to make him look dumber or you need some glasses.

What do you mean?

idSoftware981 said:

Forget it... we will just have a mix of music... ranging from PC DOOM styled music, to PSX DOOM styled music, to DOOM 64 styled music, to DOOM 3 styled music, to DOOM PC styled music... you get the idea.

THAT I'd be fine with. I'm still after metal, but maybe this would be good? If you ask me, this is what id did; Music like "At Hell's Gate" is rock, while "Dark Halls" is more slow/unusual. If they did this, combining it somehow with PSX Doom (but not completely, as that game had barely any music in the background), maybe it'd be cool... I just don't know what id's gonna do.

EDIT: Technically, PSX Doom and Doom 64 used the same music, a bunch of random noises and occasional music notes, and the dreaded babies crying in the background o_O... Yes. I see how they both go opposite directions with music style.

Whoooooaaaa. Calm the fuck down guys. We don't need a huge fight over music styles.

Music in games is not about what Music you like to listen to, it's about what fits with the rest of the experience. Metal music goes well with run and gun games like Painkiller, Serious Sam, Quake, because it keeps the tempo up, and the gameplay matches it. But depending on what sort of experience you want to present (and at this point, most importantly, we do not know this, then it might not fit.

I played the press demo of Borderlands 2 recently. Despite being a huge metalhead myself, I actually didn't mind the Dubstep-ish soundtrack they have going on. Because it fits really well with the game.

Having said that, the idea of putting actual MIDI style music in a modern hi fidelity game is retarded. Might as well suggest that You build a beautiful 3D engine and still use sprites for the monsters because hey, it worked in Doom1!

AirRaid said:

[Metal music goes well with run and gun games like] Quake

[pedantry]

Except Quake (1) had an ambient score, not too dissimilar from PSX Doom or Doom 64 (not to mention the N64 port was scored by the same musician who did PSX Doom and Doom 64, resulting in further similarities). Painkiller also had a lot of spooky ambient music IIRC. There is some debate among us all about what kind of music fits these kind of games best, but facts are facts :p

[/pedantry]

But yeah, Quake 2's metal soundtrack fitted the mood of the game perfectly. The drastic shift in art style between the two games perhaps called for a fresh perspective in the music department too. Quake 3's soundtrack is less memorable for me than the previous two games, but I recall it having a lot of techno-y stuff which suited the frantic gameplay. Let's not speak of Quake 4.

DoomUK said:

[pedantry]

Except Quake (1) had an ambient score, not too dissimilar from PSX Doom or Doom 64 (not to mention the N64 port was scored by the same musician who did PSX Doom and Doom 64, resulting in further similarities). Painkiller also had a lot of spooky ambient music IIRC. There is some debate among us all about what kind of music fits these kind of games best, but facts are facts :p

[/pedantry]

But yeah, Quake 2's metal soundtrack fitted the mood of the game perfectly. The drastic shift in art style between the two games perhaps called for a fresh perspective in the music department too. Quake 3's soundtrack is less memorable for me than the previous two games, but I recall it having a lot of techno-y stuff which suited the frantic gameplay. Let's not speak of Quake 4.

DOOM 4 should be a mix of heavy metal and ambience like the original... actually... if anything... what if it was British metal and ambience?! I mean I'm a huge British metal fan. So... :3 Maybe add some Slayer. Yeah add some Slayer. British metal and American metal (Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera) Australian metal (AC/DC) British Metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dragonforce, MUSE, Black Sabbath)

I don't think Doom can do survival horror at all, really. That's what ruined Doom 3 for me. It was fun when the game was at least honest about being Doom, with tons of enemies and guns to fight with towards the end, but all in all, it just wasn't scary and honestly kind of boring.

That's not to say Doom shouldn't be scary, though. Doom should still have moments that are scary, but not the kind of scary as in Silent Hill or Amnesia: The Dark Descent scary. The game just doesn't work with that, especially since you have a rocket launcher and a shotgun to blow anything away with.

What the game should have, however, are stressful-scary moments. Halo pulled this off very well, with the Flood. It's scary because there are a ton of the little monsters that infect and mutate your team mates, and they are chasing you down cramped hallways and confusing buildings while stressful music is playing in the background to give off a really "oh shit oh shit oh shit I'm fucked help me god" vibe, and it actually works, alongside some moments that make you go "AW HELL YEA".

Doom 3, however, tried the "oh god, what's over there" kind of thing, and it just doesn't work considering you have an awesome weaponry at your side.

Also, for music, I agree the game should have some ambient music, but not really overboard with it. It should have some awesome rockin' tracks alongside some intense ones designed to stress you out. It would all work together to add both scary and totally bad-ass gameplay.

idSoftware981 said:

DOOM 4 should be a mix of heavy metal and ambience like the original... actually... if anything... what if it was British metal and ambience?! I mean I'm a huge British metal fan. So... :3 Maybe add some Slayer. Yeah add some Slayer. British metal and American metal (Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera) Australian metal (AC/DC) British Metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dragonforce, MUSE, Black Sabbath)

Please, just shut up about the music argument already! Either way it's not going to be in the game (most likely) no matter what anyone fucking suggests. We'll just have to wait and see when it's released or when ever John Carmack or someone annouces details about Doom 4.

Xane123 said:

The dreaded babies crying in the background o_O[/i]... Yes. I see how they both go opposite directions with music style.

That's why I never finished Doom 64. The ambience of it scared me so much when I was 9 years old =P

Avoozl said:

Doom 4 should have ambient music.

Damn it what is it with you DOOM PSX fans and DOOM 64 fans thinking that DOOM 4 will have ambient music?! What has been telling you that DOOM 4 will be a survival-horror game like DOOM 3?! It's going to be an action-shooter with heavy metal and some ambience... ON SOME LEVELS.

idSoftware981 said:

It's going to be an action-shooter with heavy metal and some ambience... ON SOME LEVELS.

Do you work at id Software, idSoftware981?

You seem to have intimate knowledge of what to except in Doom 4 :p

idSoftware981 said:

Damn it what is it with you DOOM PSX fans and DOOM 64 fans thinking that DOOM 4 will have ambient music?! What has been telling you that DOOM 4 will be a survival-horror game like DOOM 3?! It's going to be an action-shooter with heavy metal and some ambience... ON SOME LEVELS.

Why does 'ambient music' equal 'survival horror' to you? Just because Doom 3 was a survival horror style game? You're basing this on ONE GAME.

Have you even seen or played the PSX version of Doom, or Doom 64? Because it doesn't seem like you have.

HAHA THE JOKE'S ON YOU! TRANCE AND HOUSE FOR EVERY LEVEL.

I genuinely hope that there is no "choose your own story," but if there is, I hope you get completely new maps.

Edit: Ninja'd Bromsnor by a second

TB171 said:

Please, just shut up about the music argument already! Either way it's not going to be in the game (most likely) no matter what anyone fucking suggests. We'll just have to wait and see when it's released or when ever John Carmack or someone annouces details about Doom 4.

Besides, Slayer in a Doom game? Slayer hasn't been cool for at least ten or fifteen years now, and if the soundtrack will be anything like Slayer (which it won't be) it would go directly on 'mute' for me.

i think, DOOM4 should have smth of everything:
fights with many monsters,
fights with surprisin monsters,
spooky explorer scenes,
map spreadin missions ...
SP/COOP/SURVIVAL/FFA/TDM/DOM ...
and esp.: the ArchVile! :p

The hellPart should be bigger (than in D3),
and there should be more outdoor scenes!
Also the player should be as fast as in Q3!
And the flashLight should be on the helmet! <:

InsaneKid said:

i
And the flashLight should be on the helmet! <:

Sounds like a good idea. Also, to me that sounds like some Doom 3 mod I saw back then :P

idSoftware981 said:

It's going to be an action-shooter with heavy metal and some ambience... ON SOME LEVELS.

Like I'm sure you know EXCACTLY what the game is long before it has come out let alone barely any annoucement.

Agentbromsnor said:

Besides, Slayer in a Doom game? Slayer hasn't been cool for at least ten or fifteen years now, and if the soundtrack will be anything like Slayer (which it won't be) it would go directly on 'mute' for me.

Even though I DO like Slayer, it just wouldn't fit in any kind of FPS I could think of (maybe Painkiller?) but definantly not doom. I hope iDsoftware981 will fucking shut up about the music already.

@TB171

Just because you're replying to 3 different people doesn't mean a triple post is necessary.

Everyone here should just shut up about music and talk about something else, as we're clearly not getting anywhere.

/mediator

Rihanna is hot. Prediction on what the essence of Doom 4 will consist of : gunning down demons on Earth, Hell or on some distant moon\planet in space. If not, the world will selfdestruct in december this year.

BloodyAcid said:

@TB171

Just because you're replying to 3 different people doesn't mean a triple post is necessary.

Sorry about that, but I don't know how to quote multiple posts :/

Regarding flashlight, it's interesting to note that RAGE was one of the few modern shooters where you didn't have flashlight / nightvision at all. Maybe it was because of the static nature of id Tech 5 but still I think it's pretty cool that in the world of games where flashlight is absolutely necessary, RAGE managed to get the lighting in every location to the point where you don't need to illuminate darkness.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if DOOM 4 didn't have flashlight as well.