Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KRoNoS

A more violent approach? aBRASION Test - GET IT!

Hehe, this is pretty cool. Looks good, but the gameplay isn't there just yet -- the Imp replacement guys in particular seriously need re-tooling, because being insta-killed by undodgeable hitscans is not cool at all. Even if you design new maps around these guys, it's going to be hard to make them not overly frustrating.

The style is great, though I think the weapon animations need a bit of improvement. The dual shotty in particular has a rather unsatisfying reload sequence, though this is coming from a Devil May Cry fan who's quite used to Dante's unrealistic one-handed action. :P

Finally, there seem to be a few too many weapons that do the same thing. Everything on slots 4 or 5 can be condensed down to 2 weapons -- an SMG and a Machinegun. Anything else is overkill, I'd think, unless moderated specifically depending on storyline (e.g. getting the AK in a terrorist-occupied area while restricting the others).

Keep this up, though. Just critiquing something so it fulfills its potential, 'tis all. :P

Still working on the weapons front - almost 3 other shotguns, 2smgs and 6 assault rifles have been removed - for the reason they all do the same thing.

As for animations, I'll see what I can do - but the md2 model format has the vertice boogie come into play if you do too much moving and switching and moving of model objects/parts. :/

As for the snipers - I'll move them to something a little less frequent. As for insta-kills, if you have armour getting sniped only serves as a warning to stay in or find cover - Not only does the area around you light up in green, there is also an audio cue to signify impending hit-scannery.

The DDF code seems shot to buggery - evern using Edge 1.34.

Basically it's broken. There are numerous errors in the weapons, things, styles, sounds, lines and attacks ddfs. Had to manually fix all these just to get it to go, and then there are still bugs whre Edge crashes out due to missing sound files and a broken rocket launcher weapon (needs puffs or something).

It's far from perfect - though it did seem stable through initial testing - next release most of the problems will be gone, most are there because alot of the original Edge DDF that's going to be replaced is sitting in little pockets and bags of text.

Why it didn't put out for you is a boggler - Anyone else have this problem? with 1.34?

I've only come across grievous errors that stop it from base function when using Edge-1.34 RC1c.

Not sure what is happening, but some of the DDF code is definitely old, there are referals to sounds that don't exist, etc. Very odd. Still, this is a really exciting bit of work - I'm a real fan.

BTW, how do I initiate the bits where you snap necks or acquire human shields?

Walk up behind a soldier/grunt that hasn't seen you - wait for the (!) symbol to appear above the head, generally it's accompanied by a radio sound of some descript - it show they're distracted then grab them by pressing your use key.

So in short when (!) appears over their heads, het close enough to press the use key - then, BAM! Ad-hoc protection. You can try running in and just grabbing them - but 9 times out of 10 it's met with a boot in the face. Patience seems to be less wounding. :P

Have you considered a mechanic where you could grab a human shield and say still use a pistol to shoot (like in Splinter Cell and similar games)?

Also, have been playing the test of Abrasion and wondering why the Glock fires so slowly - in my view it should keep firing until you take your finger off the fire button.

There's a certain rythym of clicking or fire button pushing to bring out the pistol's effective firing - it's just getting used to the timing - although I may look deeper into it. I've tried doing the pistol from behind a corpse-a-ma-jig, but damn does it make those poly's dance - I'm still trying, but I haven't come up with anything that works well enough. So, we'll see what the next release holds soon enough.

Recently 'tracers' have replaced hitscan weapons, not sure if it's suitable for the player's weapons as of yet - a little torn.

It's been average to say the least - mainly overhauling little bits here and pieces there - Next release will be devoid of the black borders around models so I can get feedback on whether or not it runs any better on certain systems... The black box effect is essentially the same model drawn twice...

Apart from that working on animations and whatnot for looting, weapons bouncing around when you kill baddies and other little but cool things. :p

As for a timeframe, I'd be hoping in a couple of weeks for the next release...

@sierraoscar19 and KroNos

Please forgive the back seat modder syndrome but it seems to me that you need to combine your respective projects into a single game. I know you have slightly different goals in mind but those could be served by using aBRASION as a base for later efforts- no?

It might also be to the project's advantage if a page was taken from doomed again's note book to load the wad prepackaged within the correct version of EDGE. That would eliminate a lot of end user hastle and saves you from abundant error correcting/ player- setup- mistake-catching.

Hmmm... I'm all for collaboration... Next release will have the version of Edge I'm using prepackaged also - don't know why I didn't do it in the first place. :/

I'm simply a fan - I don't actually have an active project underway and as much as I'd like to help, I simply don't have the time.

Also, it's pretty clear that Kronos has a clearly defined creative vision of where he's going - so I'm just looking forward to playing the next release/s

Yes in fact - back into the partial swing of things, reworking enemies and some physics stuff. Weapon models are only getting better - albeit the list is being shortened and models reworked... Blood and particle effects need to be reworked and made simpler - on larger levels with hordes of enemies this causes serious stuttering breaking the want of smooth gameplay. Quite a few little things need to be reworked that I'm not happy with - mainly enemy death animations and gore, corpse fade-outs etc. Underwater effects are working alright for the time being. Hostages need work - may be phased out though and replaced with something else cool in it's stead. As you can see the weapon models done thus far are a HUGE improvement over the last ones, sounds for firing and foley have also been improved five-fold. So I haven't been 220% into it workwise as of late, but these hands have not been overly idle either. More to come soon. :b

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/7082/comparison1.jpg

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/1194/comparison2l.jpg

http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/3260/comparison3.jpg

Damn. This looks awesome. I'm really only a fan of this style when it's done right, and it certainly looks like it has. Can't wait.

Quick update ladies and gentleman - looks as though we'll be using Hyper3dge as the doom port due to the awesomeness of Md3. More to come...

Slowly but surely - the main problem atm is when something new is added alot of other stuff refuses to work properly - mainly weapon switching, unless everything is in a particular order - for whatever reason, some weapon slots refuse to work outright. Apart from that, most time has been taken up making models and animating things. Expect good things soon.

KRoNoS said:

Slowly but surely - the main problem atm is when something new is added alot of other stuff refuses to work properly - mainly weapon switching, unless everything is in a particular order - for whatever reason, some weapon slots refuse to work outright. Apart from that, most time has been taken up making models and animating things. Expect good things soon.

Are you using the latest version of 3DGE or the original EDGE? Please try the latest (1.36C) and tell me if it's still broken.

It's 3DGE 1.36C and no it's not broken, now - it eschews awesome. I should stay up to date...

Accolades for Hyper3DGE and everyone involved.

KRoNoS said:

It's 3DGE 1.36C and no it's not broken, now - it eschews awesome. I should stay up to date...

Accolades for Hyper3DGE and everyone involved.

Good to hear. I've been working on/off on an updated version - once I get that together I'll send the binaries your way. Project is looking great so far - keep it up.

Egads, it does... I thought it was temporary. :/

Wowsers, this is a much better host... Let it be done!

http://imgur.com/kuim7

http://imgur.com/ZyllP

Chu said:

Good to hear. I've been working on/off on an updated version - once I get that together I'll send the binaries your way. Project is looking great so far - keep it up.

Thank you - Good to know someone's still making Edge all it can be. :b

KRoNoS said:
Thank you - Good to know someone's still making Edge all it can be. :b [/B]

Anytime, I had stalled development after my project went under because I didn't think anyone used the source port anymore. Good news is that I've learned a lot since the last release so the next one will be geared more towards features rather than flash. Got the links and tags working in the source code the other day so hopefully that will help you with MD3 stuff.

Just curious, are you keeping a poly-limit on objects drawn onscreen? If so, what's the average amount displayed? I want to try and make the renderer faster for this sort of thing.