Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Hexen: Edge of Chaos Update

On 5/16/2020 at 10:01 AM, printz said:

Yeah, I'd appreciate it. Right now I'm not planning to reuse stuff, but later I may be interested.

I know this forum is a bit dated and old, but if CaffeineFreak, Printz, or anyone else is interested, I've always wanted to put together a team and recreate my own version of the Heretic/Hexen Series. I feel like there was alot that could've been explored more in depth in terms of monsters, world building, etc. I'm not coder or programmer, but I am a designer and may be the kind of person who would be able to "fund" such an endeavor, but only if we had the right people for the right positions. 

I know this is a long shot and I'm not expecting anything to happen anytime soon, but if you guys are interested, I would love to reach out in the future on a potential collab for this kind of revival project.

11 years isn't OLD

Seriously though, unless you're obsessed with Doom 3 and can't imagine doing a Hexen mod in any other engine... I'd stay far far away. GZDoom could get 90% of the way there and the missing 10% won't be missed by the majority of people who even know or care about Hexen. Plus it already supports the original Hexen game, meaning you don't have to recreate literally everything. Meaning it's actually possible to finish the project without professional level dedication. Even if this were finished, how many people would drag out their copy of D3 just to play it?

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2021 at 5:06 AM, magicsofa said:

11 years isn't OLD

Seriously though, unless you're obsessed with Doom 3 and can't imagine doing a Hexen mod in any other engine... I'd stay far far away. GZDoom could get 90% of the way there and the missing 10% won't be missed by the majority of people who even know or care about Hexen. Plus it already supports the original Hexen game, meaning you don't have to recreate literally everything. Meaning it's actually possible to finish the project without professional level dedication. Even if this were finished, how many people would drag out their copy of D3 just to play it?

GZDoom couldn't handle a Hexen recreation in my opinion; Doom 3 can handle a Hexen port, it just takes some work on the rendering side of the things. 

Several years ago now, I was part of the EoC team and worked on the graphics side of things for a little while, reskinning models, graphic effects, creating serval new textures and ended up making the Doom3 to Hexen EoC conversion when we planned to move to source as a stand alone engine. I added a couple maps in but I don't remember if I ever completed them. At some point I got pretty frustrated that it seemed nothing was actually happening in the project. Although I had some pretty r/l concerns of my own for example my mom was about to die from Cancer. So things didn't really go over too well at the time of my dismissal. I went to work on Arx EoS. I think CaffeineFreak pretty much took over all the mapping work for whatever maps that weren't complete, he was basically the work horse behind the project from the get go though, if I recall. I'm not sure where the project left off. Though I'd assume CaffeineFreak would be the guy to ask about handing off the project for revival.

Edited by Mr.Rocket