Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iHaveToPee

How can I add costum textures?

Hey,
I saw a few videos that show how to add costum txtures by using XWE.
I tried to do what they say however nothing works and I don't see my new textures in doom builder 2.
Can anyone explain me what exactly do I have to do in order that I will be able to see those textures in doombuilder 2?

1. Start up XWE, go to File, and create a new Wad file
2. Double-click on Patches, find your textures and select them
3. When they appear in the list under Patches; highlight them, right-click, and select "Add to texture"

Close XWE

4. Start up DoomBuilder, open your map file, press the button F2, click "Add Resource" and find and select your Wad file you created with XWE

Remember to avoid having multiple programs work on the same Wad, as it will corrupt it. When you want to add new textures, then close your map in DoomBuilder, before opening it with XWE (if your map file and graphics wad are the same)

gemini09 said:

Remember to avoid having multiple programs work on the same Wad, as it will corrupt it.

Correction: remember to avoid having XWE and anything else on the same wad, as it will corrupt it.

I never had any problem when having the same file opened both in DB2 and SLumpEd or its successor SLADE3.

I'm still building my megawad's maps so each map has her own wad file.
Do I have to do the 5 stages with the xwe for each map?

Gez said:

Correction: remember to avoid having XWE and anything else on the same wad, as it will corrupt it.

I never had any problem when having the same file opened both in DB2 and SLumpEd or its successor SLADE3.

Indeed, just make sure that you save in DB2 after you're done with everything, to make sure you don't overwrite the latest version of your map with an older one.

I'm trying what u said in XWE now, let's say that I added the texture n_snow1 for example, I found it in the textures list however I don't see an option named "add to textures"

If you add your textures to the same WAD file that your map is in, opening that WAD file in Doom Builder will automatically load your textures as well. Then there is no need to add an additional WAD file as resource in Doom Builder. In the end this is also what you want when distributing your map anyway. You don't want to tell everyone to drag multiple files onto the sourceport executable or some crap like that, it will inevitably go wrong for many people. Keep it simple.

iHaveToPee said:

I'm trying what u said in XWE now, let's say that I added the texture n_snow1 for example, I found it in the textures list however I don't see an option named "add to textures"

Right-click with your mouse on the texture(s) in the Patches list, and you will get a small menu where you can select "Add to texture".

Thank you, it worked and now I see the new textures in doombuilder.
Edit: I have another question: I tried to build a bridge in hexen format and it didn't work, is there another way to build bridges?

I have another little problem,
Each texture that I add appeares as a lindef, I can't use the textures as floors or ceilings. How can I change it?

iHaveToPee said:

Thank you, it worked and now I see the new textures in doombuilder.
Edit: I have another question: I tried to build a bridge in hexen format and it didn't work, is there another way to build bridges?

For ZDoom, you can read this: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating_3D_bridges

iHaveToPee said:

I have another little problem,
Each texture that I add appeares as a lindef, I can't use the textures as floors or ceilings. How can I change it?

You need to use a configuration created for an engine that supports flat and texture mixing. ZDoom (and derivatives) and Eternity qualify; I don't know if any other port does as well. (I'd suspect any OpenGL port would support that but I can't guarantee it.)

Alternatively, add these new textures to the flats as well, if they are 64x64 square pictures.

Gez said:

For ZDoom, you can read this: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating_3D_bridges

You need to use a configuration created for an engine that supports flat and texture mixing. ZDoom (and derivatives) and Eternity qualify; I don't know if any other port does as well. (I'd suspect any OpenGL port would support that but I can't guarantee it.)

Alternatively, add these new textures to the flats as well, if they are 64x64 square pictures.

I know only to add it to textures, I have no idea how to add it to flats in xwe.

You just double-click on Flats instead of Patches, then select your (64x64) flats, and they appear on the Flats list and that's that.

Thank you, it worked.
Now I have another little problem- i'll take for the example the texture wfall1 (waterfall tecture)
When I put it in my map I just see it but the water dosen't stream in the waterfall, how can I make this effect such as the bloodfalls or liquid falls?

Check if the WFALLx textures are ordered from WFALL1 to WFALL4.

The most important part here is that the WFALL1 is at the beginning of the sequence and WFALL4 at the end of it. Knowing this, you can have more than four frames of animation (e.g. WFALL1, TEX1, TEX2, ... , TEXn, WFALL4). This also works for flats.

If you want to make new animated textures without replacing the existing ones, you will need to use Boom's ANIMATED lump.