Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What do you think about Super Sonic Doom?

Super Sonic Doom is a 2003 megaWAD by Stephen Clark "The Ultimate Doomer". It was the first WAD by The Ultimate Doomer, which I tried.

Super Sonic Doom was my favourite megaWAD (until I tried Tormentor667's Stronghold: On the edge of chaos)

Although contains many bugs, some scenes are f*cking hard and/or boring, but the game time is very very long and there are a lot of places (volcano, industry, city, forest, spaceships, etc.), and the bossfights are good. Music choosing is good too.

And what's your opinion?

I personally enjoyed it myself. I mean, it could have been a lot better in some places though, don't get me wrong. Funny it was one of the first Megawads you tried, as it was one of mine also.

This was also one of the first wads I ever played and until then I wasn't aware of the existence of ZDOOM (or any ports), needless to say the opening cutscene blew my mind (videoclips in Doom?!) and super sonic doom became my all time favourite wad... until I replayed it a few years later and discovered that there were numerous flaws both in level design/architecture and the fights/monster placement. Still I enjoyed it and I still think its pretty good.

I only played for a couple minutes and never got very far ... I should try it again sometime when I'm ready to put more time into it

I consider it one of my favorites. Each location brings new scenery and features, and I like the overall progression and feel of it. Despite a few quirks like the extreme abundance of volcano eruptions in maps 10-11 and having to frequently recharge the dimming lights back on in maps 17 and 18, it still gets replayed by me quite a lot.

This was actually my second wad of his I played, with fragport (which is a great vanilla doom wad) being the first, and I now have played all 6 of TUD's megawads. His most recent release, Hexen Serpent Resurrection, is even better than SSD and is now my favorite hexen wad.

I really liked it, but got horribly stuck at one point and didn't go back.

Similarly to "Foodles" this was a WAD I played back when Doom was, to me, Ultimate, 2, and Final,. This was the closed universe of Doom. It was everything I knew to be true.

It was infact my father who inadvertently supplied me with this WAD and something called ZDoom. Suffice to say this WAD impressed me greatly and at the time I would have sworn by it.

However today I have played alot more WADs and am now very aware of what Doom is capable of becoming (both at its best and worst) and although I tried to replay this WAD, I simply couldn't. Although I appreciate the work put in and the very innovate ideas put forward in this WAD, I feel it is a bit of a "mess", and despite its nostalgic pull, it simply doesn't "do it" for me anymore.

I much prefer more classical "Doom" based WADs these days and tend to consider WADs like Stronghold, and Super Sonic Doom as games in there own right that just borrow the Doom engine