Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Doom WAD to 3D Model Converter?

I rememebr hearing about this once or twice, but I'm not sure it exists. Is there some type of converter that changes a Doom level into a 3D model of some sort? I've looked but haven't been able to find one myself, but I swear I've seen a picture of two of it in action.

You probably saw a painstakingly hand-crafted rendition of a Doom level into some other 3D engine format - there have been recreations of Doom's levels in just about every 3D -or almost- engine known to Man and in the form of mods for other non-Doom games.

It's not excluded that someone may have considered automating the process at some point, but it sure didn't make much of a splash, when and if such a thing existed. The same thing goes for 3D Doom models used in some ports: all of them are painstakingly recreated by hand, one by one, frame by frame.

Gez said:

Well, the Doom2Quake converter worked well enough, but I couldn't find a converter that could take the quake level (or the doom one for that matter) to another 3D format. (Aiming for .obj format)

EDIT: Wait a sec... I missed this quote:

kristus said:
AFAIK There's a converter that converts Doom maps into Quake maps afaik. So you can covert it into a quake/Doom3 .map and then into a Wavefront .obj file using D3edit. [/B]

I'll try this out and see if it works.

EDIT2: Nope, I can't find any Quake to Doom 3 converters out there. :/ Back to square one I guess.

GreyGhost said:

Have you tried Q3toD3?

Well, I've gotten it only to Quake1 format. If I could find a way to upgrade it to Quake 3, however, this could work.

Looks like it's going to be a two-step process, converting from 1 to 2 then 2 to 3. Both converters require the user to own a copy of Quake 2 - hope that isn't a problem.

GreyGhost said:Both converters require the user to own a copy of Quake 2 - hope that isn't a problem. [/B]

Hmm... Well, looks like I'll have to find a copy of Quake II then. Not a bad trade, I always wanted to play it. :)

So... Doom->Quake->Quake II->Quake III->Doom3->Obj

It is a rather involved process.

Isn't the .map format essentially the same in Quake1->Doom3? (They added Bezier patches in Q3 but the brushes should be the same) I mean, they can all be edited with the same editor (GTKRadiant)

kristus said:

Isn't the .map format essentially the same in Quake1->Doom3?

Yes, but I'm guessing those converters work on the compiled BSP files where the differences are significant.

Also .MAP files contain brushes, whereas .OBJ contains faces, so a CSG compiling step would be required somewhere (e.g. in Doom3).

Very interesting andrewj. Would you mind paraphrasing the algorithm you are using (I expect this is built on top of glBSP)?