Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Echoes of the Past - A Community Project

I recently got a pretty idea for a community mod, for if the game was split into 10 distinct episodes, each one only being 3 maps long, and having levels themed on multiple different Doom IWAD episodes, equally 30 maps total. The first 4 episodes would be Ultimate Doom, the second 3 would be Doom II, and the last three would be based the Plutonia Experiment. I don't know what to do with the secret levels, but maybe base them on a different game like Heretic or CQ, or possibly another popular Doom PWAD. (Eternal Doom? Mordeth? Epic?) Or, an alternative, it could be an optional episode built around supreme amounts of difficulty. (Sunder difficult perhaps?) UPDATE: I decided to make it based on TNT: Evilution, with three levels, each being a different episode.

The only new textures that would be added to this project would be the Ultimate Doom textures taken from Doom 2 and the Plutonia textures added on later. This way the maps can more closely resemble the map style they would attempt to imitate. Other things that won't be added include anything above limit-removing limits, such as ZDoom or Eternity features, or new monsters/weapons/items. (A new HUD isn't out of the question, however)

MAPS:

EPISODE  1: Ultimate Doom: Phobos
MAP01:
MAP02:
MAP03:
EPISODE  2: Ultimate Doom: Deimos
MAP04:
MAP05:
MAP06:
EPISODE  3: Ultimate Doom: Hell
MAP07:
MAP08:
MAP09:
EPISODE  4: Ultimate Doom: Earth
MAP10:
MAP11:
MAP12:
EPISODE  5: Hell on Earth: Starport
MAP13:
MAP14:
MAP15:
EPISODE  6: Hell on Earth: City
MAP16:
MAP17:
MAP18:
EPISODE  7: Hell on Earth: Hell
MAP19:
MAP20:
MAP21:
EPISODE  8: Plutonia Experiment: Earth
MAP22:
MAP23:
MAP24:
EPISODE  9: Plutonia Experiment: Hell
MAP25:
MAP26:
MAP27:
EPISODE 10: Plutonia Experiment: Devil-Hive
MAP28:
MAP29:
MAP30:
SECRET EPISODE: TNT Evilution
MAP31:
MAP32:
MAP33:
NOTICE: Please create the maps for the respective IWAD first, so you work with the textures used with them. They will be ported later on to Doom II format for compatibility.

Potential mappers
onegamer
Vaporizer
StupidBunny

(And yes, I do realize I left out TNT: Evilution, but it never seemed as important to me, personally, and there wasn't enough room for another 9 levels) Nevermind.

I know I recently posted another topic about a megawad, but that one was just about taking pre-made levels and sewing them together, and did not have very good support. (And good reasons why not to) I would also like to say that I'm not asking people to make a WAD for me, but rather I'm suggesting an idea for one that I came up with, which people may or may not join in. All in all, I thought this was a pretty good idea, so that's why I (obviously) have posted it.

so, in less words, it could been a mixed bag of doom stuff (i think to huge maps than replace the original spirit of each maps, but it could be also something short\medium sized, isn't?) than replace a episode fell in the 3 levels limit? Sounds nice, but i think needs more work...

IMHO i think that rather than using a different type of port as zdoom is more reasonable to use a smaller port like vanilla boom or doom or limit-Removing...

However, still sounds a good idea for me...

walter confalonieri said:
IMHO i think that rather than using a different type of port as zdoom is more reasonable to use a smaller port like vanilla boom or doom or limit-Removing...[/B]

Well, the reason I chose limit-removing is because that way most people would be able to play it regardless of their favorite source port.

An attempt at a Phobos-style map:

Basic Map Layout: 50%
Architecture: 20%
Item/Enemy Placement: 10%

A picture of the most complete room so far:

I don't know if I quite have the type of mapping down for this style of a map, but it's a bit harder to do now, since for some reason the 3D camera won't work and I have to do this all without it. (Though most people get by without it anyways, so who am I to complain?)

Cool idea :) maybe I want to join later, but recently I can't work with maps, and there are some weeks more...

Ok, just for clarification, I've decided that the secret levels should be based on TNT: Evilution, and have 3 of them. Each level will represent a theme from a third of the game.

OK, a tiny problem has come up. The main computer I use for Dooming and stuff has crashed, and it's motherboard is out permanently, so I cannot use it. Luckily, I still have some other computers, but I'll either take a bit to take my map out of that computer or start over on it. On the bright side, I still have another computer that works, so I'll still be to work on levels and that, I just need to get it's internet connection working again. (I'm typing this from a school computer) Should be back to normal soon though, so no worries, I'll still check up on here and be able to see how things are with this.

TrueDude said:

OK, a tiny problem has come up. The main computer I use for Dooming and stuff has crashed, and it's motherboard is out permanently, so I cannot use it. Luckily, I still have some other computers, but I'll either take a bit to take my map out of that computer or start over on it. On the bright side, I still have another computer that works, so I'll still be to work on levels and that, I just need to get it's internet connection working again. (I'm typing this from a school computer) Should be back to normal soon.

Crashing computers are my life.
Good look with repairing it.

omegamer said:

Crashing computers are my life.
Good look with repairing it.

Yeah, that computer has had many problems before. I'm surprised it lasted this long.

TrueDude said:

Yeah, that computer has had many problems before. I'm surprised it lasted this long.

These computers

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I got my computer back up and running. I did a system restore (don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place) and now everything is fine.

I've been thinking, though, this project needs a name. Does anyone have any good ideas?

I'd be willing to take a crack at a classic style Doom Hell map...no promises though, I do have projects of my own that I'd like to see through first. Either way, I like the idea...

Katamori said:

Echoes of Past? Or something similar?

I'm really liking this idea... I know nobody else has said anything, but this sounds perfect for what this project stands for. Echos of the Past it is!

StupidBunny said:

I'd be willing to take a crack at a classic style Doom Hell map...no promises though, I do have projects of my own that I'd like to see through first. Either way, I like the idea...

OK, I'll put you on the Potential Mappers list.