Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

Doom Has Forever Been Imprinted on My Brain and Here Is Evidence Why.

Just now, I was watching some kid's demo map on Youtube. I grew tired of watching so I clicked esc-up-enter-y. Not once but twice in a window of a couple minutes. Any Doom commands, what have-you, found it's self seeping into real life?

I have other from the past but I'll wait for more replies.

I'm always pressing TAB when playing Quake and Quake 2 and wondering for a split second why the automap is not showing up.

Sometimes when I'm trying to get somewhere, and I encounter a low wall, I run around looking for some steps until I forget that I can jump.

Just kidding. However, today I found myself looking around the inside of a house and thinking about it in terms of visplanes, linedefs, textures and texture alignments, etc.

Technician said:
esc-up-enter-y

Just minutes ago, I mistyped my screen resolution on a prboom command line and wound up with an unusable display. The keyboard still worked, and since I memorized that same key sequence about 16 years ago I was able to use it to save the day :-)

andrewj said:

I'm always pressing TAB when playing Quake and Quake 2 and wondering for a split second why the automap is not showing up.

I do the same thing. More recently I've been doing it in Minecraft :P

Sometimes going on a mapping spree involves me doing the same things StupidBunny does where I start to see everything in the form of visplanes and applied textures and somehow whenever I see slopes or other impossible architecture to replicate in doom, I just disregard it completely and look at the surrounding archetecture that "makes sense" and consider how it would look if remade in Doom.

There have also been some other things like seeing the word BFG900 whenever i glance across BF Goodrich tires.

This happened just an hour ago:

I`m currently at work (at a hospital), and in the lobby here, there are some pillars and stuff in the somewhat big hallway. I was thinking to myself "hmmm, I could map this. there`s no "room over room" anywhere here.". Then I expanded the thought and came up with an area I think will be very cool in Doom :P

I also press TAB (very often actually hehe) when watching youtube videos of Doom.

darkreaver said:

I`m currently at work (at a hospital), and in the lobby here, there are some pillars and stuff in the somewhat big hallway. I was thinking to myself "hmmm, I could map this. there`s no "room over room" anywhere here.". Then I expanded the thought and came up with an area I think will be very cool in Doom :P

My whole time at college I've wanted to map the media area of the school. All the halls/rooms were the exact height-level with no rooms over rooms. I sadly couldn't find a floor plan. I would have taken photos of the walls and used those as textures. I really regret not doing it.

Technician said:

Just now, I was watching some kid's demo map on Youtube. I grew tired of watching so I clicked esc-up-enter-y. Not once but twice in a window of a couple minutes.

This sounds more like a "you know you've been playing too much Doom when..." case.

Technician said:

I jack off a lot but I never immediately started thrusting a hot dog.

Or a mancubus fireball <3

StupidBunny said:

However, today I found myself looking around the inside of a house and thinking about it in terms of visplanes, linedefs, textures and texture alignments, etc.

Yeah, the guy who did the tiles in my bathroom really needs to learn how to align textures better.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Yeah, the guy who did the tiles in my bathroom really needs to learn how to align textures better.

This is what I do a lot - look at examples of "misaligned textures" in real life. It's funny how often it happens and/or how much nicer our maps look than the real world :P

Another thing I do is imagine where I would place monsters in real places

Watching TNA's Bound For Glory and getting excited when they mentioned BFG. Then finding out they're not talking about the gun and being depressed.

magicsofa said:

This is what I do a lot - look at examples of "misaligned textures" in real life. It's funny how often it happens and/or how much nicer our maps look than the real world :P

That's a good hint that aligning textures so much in Doom is not as important as it seems.

But similarly, for Doom 3's case, I look at every instance of steel bars, steel and concrete, bricks, to see how they are built in the real world, to know how to align them in Doom 3.

Not so much Doom related, but I had such a moment when I was folding my clothes and did it wrong. For a split second I thought "Undo!", as in CTRL+Z but there was no keyboard, then I quickly realized my insanity.

One time I was watching a Doom 2 coop video on Youtube and I kept hitting f12 to see the other player but then realizing that I'm not watching a demo -_-;

darkreaver said:

I apply this thinking everywhere I go.

That was driving me up the wall while I was trying my hand at mapping (fail). I saw everything around me as sectors. People, cars, etc. were sprites.

It's as if mapping was changing my sense of reality.

Most individuals who dislike the handicapped do so because they take up their parking space. I dislike them because they won't even enter buildings unless they have slopes.

So, in my German Civ. class, we were having a lecture over Albrecht Dürer, which was mildly interesting. However, when he started pointing out the paintings, he made mentioning of this recurring aspect of "Memento Mori." I must've shown a sign of interest, because he asked me what I thought of the art. So I said:

"Well, in comparison to earlier works, it's... Not That Simple."

Tomorrow, I seek professional help.

I recently played Duke Nukem, and was bummed to find no BFG. After I had a really audible "Oops!" Resonate in my house.