Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Looper

Nomonster speedrunning

fx02 said:

I'd love if you could upload your vanilla nomo records to COMPET-N

My demos are recorded with prboom-plus v2.5.1.3, so unfortunately they're not compet-n worthy. :( (Well they aren't exactly worthy by their quality, either.)

How much does it matter that they have to be vanilla though, if they're nomonsters demos? I use keyboard only for my demos unless I'm trying to get a glide in which case I might use the mouse to assist the angle, and the only special thing I might have enabled is autorun, but I'm sure you can get that via vanilla features too... or am I wrong?

Either way, I'm just a bit confused is all. Please shed some light on my Doom naivety.

doomdaniel95 said:

My demos are recorded with prboom-plus v2.5.1.3, so unfortunately they're not compet-n worthy. :( (Well they aren't exactly worthy by their quality, either.)

How much does it matter that they have to be vanilla though, if they're nomonsters demos? I use keyboard only for my demos unless I'm trying to get a glide in which case I might use the mouse to assist the angle, and the only special thing I might have enabled is autorun, but I'm sure you can get that via vanilla features too... or am I wrong?

Either way, I'm just a bit confused is all. Please shed some light on my Doom naivety.

Autorun is possible to enable in vanilla by editing cfg files. Other than that, the main differences of PrBoom+ for -nomonsters demo recording are a higher resolution and different start movement, but both aren't too beneficial for -nomonsters. The advanced HUD is near useless in -nomonsters (and honestly, a lot of the time, it's not very helpful with monsters either). But since all the other demos for Compet-N are vanilla, I guess making the -nomonsters category vanilla only would make sense as well.

There is a solution to non vanilla records. You can upload records recorded with Competition doom, just select CNDOOM when uploading demo. But yeah, then you have to re-record them in Competition Doom :/

I did try to implement all demos but that was a bad idea as there is doomedsda.us for that so I'll stick to vanilla/cndoom demos only.

Doom II Map 07 Nomo in 0:12.
Can be a lot better, spent 2 days and maybe about 1hr total for this.
Finally a real demo for this category, compared to my Nomo Butt-grab.
(I hopefully can get this at DSDA...?)
(and sorry fx if you wanted this at compet-n or something this was done in PRBoom+)

lv07oo12.zip

MD922: There's an error in your txt: this is a complevel 2 demo, not complevel 9.

doomdaniel95 said:

Ultimate Doom E1 nomonsters in 4:32. I'm not happy with this one; I will be satisfied when I can get 4:2X. I just need a break...

No E1M4 strafejump? Would help out by a few seconds or so. :)

4shockblast said:

No E1M4 strafejump? Would help out by a few seconds or so. :)

This is gonna sound silly, but I've never been able to get that SR50 jump in my LIFE. No way I'm gonna waste a whole ton of attempts trying to get it once in an episode run. Also, I like to keep most of my demos SR40 only if I can.

However, that is a good point, and it's nice you mentioned it. Thank you. :) Do you know of any timesavers on E1M6 or E1M7 that would make it a little easier to shave off a couple seconds? I tend to mess up those maps a bit assuming I get past E1M1 first. :P

doomdaniel95 said:

This is gonna sound silly, but I've never been able to get that SR50 jump in my LIFE. No way I'm gonna waste a whole ton of attempts trying to get it once in an episode run. Also, I like to keep most of my demos SR40 only if I can.

However, that is a good point, and it's nice you mentioned it. Thank you. :) Do you know of any timesavers on E1M6 or E1M7 that would make it a little easier to shave off a couple seconds? I tend to mess up those maps a bit assuming I get past E1M1 first. :P

Not much really, though you had a few pretty bad bumps on those levels. There's some wallrunning possible, but it wouldn't be too helpful in an episode run. Also doesn't seem to be a good idea to have the lift lower at the red key on E1M7 since it went up before you could reach it.

Also, I have a strategy for the SR50 jump on E1M4 that doesn't make it so bad (I'm sure there's a few such strategies). Demo shows way of doing it pretty stably with strafe50. If you run back from the door to the point in the demo (or a little closer), you should get it pretty often. Don't run back all the way to the wall, though (I always fall way short of the ledge if I do that). With monsters, I imagine it'd be much harder to develop any consistent strategy.

Don't upload to DSDA of course.

e1m4no.zip

4shockblast said:

There's some wallrunning possible, but it wouldn't be too helpful in an episode run. Also doesn't seem to be a good idea to have the lift lower at the red key on E1M7 since it went up before you could reach it.

Haha yah I think I got nervous and because of that I started to be a little less cautious. I always bump a bit, no matter what I do. Also on E1M7, the lift thing by the RK happened completely by accident. At that point I was like "crap... I don't think I'm gonna get 4:2X this demo," but kept going anyway out of hope.

4shockblast said:

Also, I have a strategy for the SR50 jump on E1M4 that doesn't make it so bad (I'm sure there's a few such strategies). Demo shows way of doing it pretty stably with strafe50. If you run back from the door to the point in the demo (or a little closer), you should get it pretty often. Don't run back all the way to the wall, though (I always fall way short of the ledge if I do that). With monsters, I imagine it'd be much harder to develop any consistent strategy.

Don't upload to DSDA of course.

Wow, you're right. Before, I had either tried it from too close of a distance, or all the way from the wall. I got it twice in a row by going to the far edge of the platform that lowers 8 units to the ground, with my Doomguy still being on the platform. Thanks for the tip; it really helped a lot! :)

Doom Revolution! Episode 1 in 6:50. Terrible run. So many mistakes. But it's a start for the category. Will be doing more work on this :)

10tvroo650.zip

Ultimate Doom Episode 1 nomonsters speed in 4:27. Finally I got this done. :) Also: 4shockblast, I owe you something for showing me how to save some valuable time on E1M4. Thanks to you, under 4:30 came easier.

d1e1o427.zip

MD922 said:

Doom Revolution! Episode 1 in 6:50. Will be doing more work on this :)

Hey man, sorry I couldn't watch this until now. I just wanted to say I think you should do the YK KG in MAP01 since it's only the first map and if you don't get it pretty quickly, you could just restart without losing much. There's also an exit jump on MAP03, but it's pretty hard without TAS, and since you're going for an episode run, nobody can blame you for not using it. :)

Yeah, I know about all the tricks and all those harder tricks are insane without tas. I've tried it, and it just isnt a consistent jump. The grab on map one, I can't get easily, anyway it would only save like 4 seconds, and I want to perfect the rest of the run first.

I think it's possible to beat E3 of 1024abc in under 5 minutes. Maybe even 3, I'm not keen about the shortcuts.

doomdaniel95 said:

Ultimate Doom E2 in 4:46. Includes a bonus demo with a teleporter fail in E2M4.

Still two major tricks on E2M6 and E2M7 that aren't done here :P. They could get the time down to close to 3 minutes ideally.

I don't know any good way of getting the exit switch on M6, though; vertical acceleration could help, but that would make movement difficult. The actual void glide is pretty easy to do. But E2M7 rocket jump I think is pretty doable even in an episode run.

4shockblast said:

Still two major tricks on E2M6 and E2M7 that aren't done here :P.

I don't know any good way of getting the exit switch on M6, though; vertical acceleration could help, but that would make movement difficult. The actual void glide is pretty easy to do. But E2M7 rocket jump I think is pretty doable even in an episode run.

I tried both the E2M6 and the E2M7 tricks out and both seemed very difficult to me. At least, the E2M6 one is too difficult for me to consider doing quickly in an episode run (I would lose a lot of time on it as I'm not very good at gliding). I haven't mastered the E2M7 RJ, but it doesn't seem reliable either as when I've tried it it just seems luckbased; most of the time, I land either to the left or the right of the little platform in front of the exit door.

With that said, do you think E2M1-E2M5 is good, or is there anything (even minor) that I missed but could have used to shave some seconds?

doomdaniel95 said:

I tried both the E2M6 and the E2M7 tricks out and both seemed very difficult to me. At least, the E2M6 one is too difficult for me to consider doing quickly in an episode run (I would lose a lot of time on it as I'm not very good at gliding). I haven't mastered the E2M7 RJ, but it doesn't seem reliable either as when I've tried it it just seems luckbased; most of the time, I land either to the left or the right of the little platform in front of the exit door.

With that said, do you think E2M1-E2M5 is good, or is there anything (even minor) that I missed but could have used to shave some seconds?

Everything else looked fine, there's not much improvement really possible in E2 I think; most of the levels are straightforward and make for pretty smooth running.

I guess for E2M7, you could try finding a good start angle and position and try for that angle every time, although it is easy to miss the exit and I suppose failing so many runs on E2M7 would be pretty annoying.

For E2M6, glide is doable by strategy shown in zip file (there are other strategies, but I think this one is the most straightforward). You just run along the right wall at the corner. Exit switch, though, I don't know how to hit. You have to hit the point between the void and the switch from what I heard, but I don't know of any way to get such a precise angle and position. Here in my first demo I got lucky, but usually that doesn't happen.

e2m6no.zip

Oh yah, I can see how the E2M6 trick would be very useful if you were lucky and got it pretty quickly like you did. If my run consisted of your first E2M6 demo, it'd be 38 seconds shorter!

I'm considering trying E3 again, but it seems annoying as I can get E3M4 and E3M5's keygrabs pretty consistently, but it doesn't happen all the time. Also, I was stupid on E3M7 last time and chickened out on the exit ledge jump. I'd like to correct it in a new demo, but I have a feeling I'd be struggling for a while to get it under 3:30 and it'd just frustrate me more than anything.