Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Looper

Nomonster speedrunning

great demos as usual.

how do you do glides with keyboard only?  i know mouse users sometimes make use of vertical mouse movement. do you just line up and tap MF?

Thanks! I actually do use vertical mouse movement to glide, but the positioning is all done with the keyboard. 

6 hours ago, doomdaniel95 said:

Thanks! I actually do use vertical mouse movement to glide, but the positioning is all done with the keyboard. 

Jesus you are gifted dude!

On 7/13/2018 at 3:50 PM, rehelekretep said:

wow mind blown! so you go kb-only and then grab the mouse at the glide? weird!

That's exactly how I do it. In my demos, you'll usually see me get close to the gap (a little to the right, where when I press forward, I'm at the exact angle I need to be and move slightly left). Once I'm at that point, I grab the mouse and get to the pixel-perfect position I need to be at (if I'm going south, east, or north). West glides are so easy that I can just keep pressing the mouse forward and I'll go through automatically (unless when I set up, I managed to be too far to the left from the start). For west glides, the only thing I need to worry about is setting myself up and getting close enough to the gap without it being too slow (c410o201 is a bad example of this--I had a pretty slow setup. cc27o158 has better west glides). South, east, and north are a bit more annoying (especially east and north) because I don't automatically go through as I'm moving the mouse. I either have to move it really slowly to nearly guarantee getting through (which obviously takes too much time in a demo) or just hope I get lucky enough that my position lines up exactly with the gliding gap as I'm moving the mouse forward so I can go through. That's why c410o201 was so annoying--it featured an east glide that wasn't right at the beginning of the run/the only real thing I had to worry about going right. Take it from a natural keyboarder who learned how to do guideless glides really late in the game compared to other speedrunners, haha.

On 7/13/2018 at 9:22 PM, Bob9001 said:

Jesus you are gifted dude!

Thank you! I really appreciate that, though I must say there are a lot of speedrunners who have much greater skill than I.

3 hours ago, doomdaniel95 said:

I'll have to look for glides in other WADs now

Here's one. I might as well give you a target to beat too.

Xenomorph Base by the Doomer Boards Community

Map01 Nomonsters Speed in 0:47

db41o047.zip

22 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

that sunder03 is beautiful!

Thank you! I'd like to improve it and see the glides go a bit faster, but that's for another day. :)

Posted (edited)

I don't know how to format these, but I was proud of this achievement.

The demo is 2:30 long, but it's because I couldn't believe I've done it after half an hour of tries.

Super Mayhem 17, MAP02 -nomo in 0:21.

nm2_021.zip

nice!

i think i tried that jump when the DWMC played through the wad. glad it helps the nomo go super fast :D