Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Christoph

Ad issue [bump]

Kirby said:
Holy fuck, I just heard it. It IS coming from the ad bar at the bottom (or maybe it really is Ling in my head O_O)

I recently began noticing a similar thing going on - sometimes (if it loads a certain image of what seems to be ostrich heads in the upper or lower ad bar) it also plays some weird music.

I know this thread is old, but it was the only one I could find that seemed to mention anything related to it (I was trying to find out what was up with that, or who did it).

Yes it's back. There's one now that drives me up the wall and I want to know how it's evading my adblocking.

DRM, tehre was one a few years ago that would cover the entire screen. It was an ad for the movie "MIRRORS" and I still refuse to see it thanks to that bullshit ad.

Yeah I'm getting music here, too.

At first I thought it was the wife on the other computer. No.

Not all the time, though, and it was acouple days ago.

I hate reading a thread that I think is recent only to see it's 4 years old. :0

I've never had any problems with pop-up's here. I use the latest version of Firefox with Adblocker Plus, and still haven't seen one pop-up here.

Enjay said:

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else...

Recently when browsing these forums I have had a lot of "clicking" in the background like multiple windows are opening. However, there is no other evidence that they are.

Even more recently, whilst browsing the forums I hear some guy saying "five times five equals twenty five" and then a few seconds later some piano music starts. Again, however, I can find no evidence that another window has opened and there is nothing obvious in task manager. Is this some kind of flash advert that is being semi blocked or something or is it just arithmetic classes by stealth?

I usually use the Google toolbar to block popups, but not on Doomworld.

I have never experienced anything like this before, and I'm using IE7 or something. You guys must just have bad adblockers and what not.

ok...what the hell? There it goes again.

I'm reading a thread in "Everything Else" and the music starts. I hit "Forums Home" and it stops.

I don't see any ostrich heads. I feel cheated.

Christoph said:

I know this thread is old, but it was the only one I could find that seemed to mention anything related to it...

Here's a more recent one you could have necro-bumped. ;-)

Csonicgo said:

Yes it's back. There's one now that drives me up the wall and I want to know how it's evading my adblocking.

Have you tried adding banner.telefragged.com to your hosts file?

There's one pissing me off right now for some Jurrasic-era game that plays jungle music when it comes on. I got confused the first time since I was listening to some muzaks and all of a sudden my subwoofer started outputting this off-key bass beat.

Gonna invest in some new ad-software soon, methinks.

If you try, you'll see that actually 2+2=5.

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!

That aside, NoScript and FlashBlock are my friends. No annoying ad clicking and random sounds. Also, sites with vids only play when I click them and tell them to.

Every now and then I hear a low bass line with some bongos, that becomes more techno-ish. And there's an ostrich on the bottom ad too.

(and so far, the only auto-playing Youtube vids I've encountered were "It's Gendo!" and Rutabega Salad, both well worth it.)

Now that I think of it, I have heard some wierd music shit like bongoes, but not on this website. I was on the JP TOys forums when bongo started up. I refreshed the page, and they still were there. Wierd shit...

EDIT: Whoa, just now heard it here... Same crap I experienced on JPToys