Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
General Rainbow Bacon

Rising Stairs?

I'm still a little rusty on how to make stairs rise. Usually what I do is I make the stair rising action effect on the first step, and then the direction of the little tick mark you see on each line effects which sector will be the next step that rises.

I'm not sure if this information is totally accurate and someone may chime in to correct me, but I would like to congratulate you on your interest in using such an underrated line action.

Flip the linedefs around the "destination" sector that connect to the steps so that they face the other way (first side out, toward the large sector), and that should cause the stairs action to stop. The reason this is happening is that the way you've set it up, DOOM thinks the large "destination" sector is a step too.

Stairs are rather confusing: I just recently decided I need to try using them more often. It's kind of interesting that there's a tendency for some people to use more actions but less diversity than found in oldschool (such as IWAD) levels. What I mean is, in modern levels you may find tons of trap doors and teleports, but its often limited to only that. Sometimes people forget entirely about actions other than lifts, doors, and teleports.

I just make a bunch of control sectors outside of the map and connect each sector to them and make them move to nearest or tallest/lowest, whichever works best for the situation.