Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bishop

Vanilla doom bridges

Can anyone show me a link to a tutorial on building bridges, (doom2.exe style of course) kinda like the one in Scythe II, map01. Tried to mimic it as closley as possible, but still got flat bleeding out of it. This is just so I can understand the construction better since it all seems a bit complicated. I'm using DB2 btw.
Thanks a bunch.

1. Make a simple sector into another, previously made sector (4 vertexes, 4 linedefs)
2. "Invert" it (pull one of the vertexes on the other side of the one which "faces" it or I'd say in this way, which is the furthest of it)
3. Make another, bigger sector around it with the same number of vertexes and linedefs
4. Fix each of the bigger sector's vertexes on each of the smaller sector's vertexes (make sure you have "Drag geometry" switched on).
5. Probably this method works for "invisible platforms".

Yeah it's possible, it's just the invisible platform trick. (made behave like a regular bridge of course)

Followed the steps, not sure what I did, technically (besides screw up a sector)... But it worked! thanks
Too bad the second I try and lay linedefs for mid textures on top of it, everything gets screwed up...

Well... how did things get screwed up? Is it an editor problem or a gameplay problem? I ask because bridges used to drive me crazy... I'd make one, and 3D mode would suddenly not work anymore. It'd work fine when I ran the WAD though.

Cell said:

1. Make a simple sector into another, previously made sector (4 vertexes, 4 linedefs)
2. "Invert" it (pull one of the vertexes on the other side of the one which "faces" it or I'd say in this way, which is the furthest of it)
3. Make another, bigger sector around it with the same number of vertexes and linedefs
4. Fix each of the bigger sector's vertexes on each of the smaller sector's vertexes (make sure you have "Drag geometry" switched on).
5. Probably this method works for "invisible platforms".

What on earth? This is a lot of work for something so simple, and I'm pretty sure it won't even produce a correct self-referencing sector. Just edit the linedefs and set their sector references on both sides to the desired sector number. :-\

Snakes said:

Yeah, that's in the "You're doing it wrong" category.

Wondering then why it worked fine to me...

Well, I believe you're talking about the invisible bridge a la Plutonia MAP02, but the author wants a "3D" bridge, which the technique you presented really isn't all that great for.

Ok, What I was really looking for here is some thing that works similar to the Map01 of Scythe II (totally wicked wad btw) bridge. Now, Cell's technique seems to work fine as far as the "invisible platform" goes. basically that's the only thing I couln't get right. (without HOM or flat bleeding of course) And it behaves much like the invisible bridge in Plutonia (Map02). Ok, good so far. Now here's the thing... when I try and make it look like an actual bridge by laying linedefs (for mid textures) on top of the platform, It dun work! I do tried doing this by drawing them completely seperated (not inside the platform sector but the one outside of it) and then moving them on top of the platform without merging geometry of course. In the editor it all seems fine... but here's what happens when I test the sucker:
Basically, I fall through the floor of the platform and get stuck by it's 4 surrounding walls. I go back and take theese mid-texture linedefs off the platform sector, it works normally.
I must point ou that the mechanism to lower and raise the platform is there and works fine. It's just the mid-textures that screw it up and I cant find any way to build it all properly.
There, that's about it and thanks for the tutorial link. I'll check that out too!

Cell said:

Wondering then why it worked fine to me...

Sure it would work, but it's the most backasswards way of doing it.

Ok, Got it all to work (platform + support beams) with a minimum understanding of referencing. Thanks to all for your help!

Just another question, is it really the floor of the platform that holds the player up in the air or just the linedefs that surround it? I kept falling through the floor (except if i walked on the edges) for some reason until I put extra lindefs inside the 64mp wide platform (referenced to the platform)... then I didn't have the problem anymore. Strange =/

I actually mentioned this potential problem above. It's the linedefs. Players can easily fall through gaps otherwise. I learned this the tedious way, as well!