Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hand X

Which Maximum Doom`s level do you like the most?

I think everyone knows there are mostly crap wads in the Maximum`s CD, but still I believe there are good ones, I ask for a few wads that are worth playing (no master levels).

DO NOT POST ANY FILES HERE FROM THE CD! Your username may be doomed! Unless you`re sure there are no copyrighted materials in the file, thank you.

Considering Maximum Doom is a dump of some internet DOOM wad archive, for which no permission was obtained in the first place, I don't see how distributing a full ISO of it even would be a problem. I suppose some of the wads could have "You may NOT distribute this file" in them, but then I wonder how they made it into an online archive in the first place if that was the case.

It was only put on the Master Levels disc by id as an added value, so that it didn't feel like you were paying $30 or whatever for barely an episode's worth of maps :P

Quasar said:

Considering Maximum Doom is a dump of some internet DOOM wad archive, for which no permission was obtained in the first place, I don't see how distributing a full ISO of it even would be a problem. I suppose some of the wads could have "You may NOT distribute this file" in them, but then I wonder how they made it into an online archive in the first place if that was the case.

It was only put on the Master Levels disc by id as an added value, so that it didn't feel like you were paying $30 or whatever for barely an episode's worth of maps :P

Ask them: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/52643-maximum-doom/
And them: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/51461-maximum-doom/

But I totally agree with you, since ID doesn`t sell the CDs anymore nor part of the contents inside, so I wouldn`t consider it a warez.

Did someone thought about a "top ten (hundred, whatever) wads" from maximum`s, in 2 categories (doom1 and doom2)? Excluding the master levels of course.

As far as WAD shovelware CD-ROMs go, Maximum DOOM is a pretty mediocre collection. There are very few classics on there. Even the older D!Zone CDs are better in that respect.

First, the DOOM1 section. About a third of the WADs here are DM-only, half a dozen are actually for Heretic, the rest is mostly my-first-level doodles. The are a couple of compilations with levels of such widely varying quality you're better off playing the good originals. Funduke compiled The Maximum Doom Reference, a list you can use as your guide.

Here are the WADs worth playing, IMO:

• 1_ON_1 (easy but with some good-looking bits)
  • ATRIUM (ditto)
  • E1L1RQ (one of the earliest levels, surprisingly decent)
  • EP4B (a compilation, some good levels)
  • IDBEST (an interesting medley of the first five levels from Knee Deep in the Dead)
  • INFINITY (an 8-level episode, easily the most polished WAD here)
  • OPOST21 (an early classic)
  • RUNLKHEL (good design, harder than most)
  • SCREAM (an early classic puzzle level)
  • SLAUGHT (only for the second episode, which is from SUDTIC.WAD)
  • UAC_DEAD (a Top Ten 1994 WAD, a true legend)
  • WADPAK3 (another compilation, a real mixed bag, you can consult this TXT file for my picks)
  • XCALIB11 (a classic castle level)
As for the DOOM2 section, a lot (if not most) of the files here are sloppy conversions of 1994 DOOM1 WADs. The texturing, the monster and item placement are semi-random. For example, the classic ETERNITY

has been butchered to look like this

But there are a few good originals as well. Off the top of my head I can second the Oracle recommendation, and then there's RAVEN111, of course, an early DOOM2 classic.

To Never_Again: Your post is and will be useful. Thanks!

As for others, thanks for your replies. :)