Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Bad habits from Doom

In every game I play I tend to play recklessly i.e. I rush headfirst at the enemy trying to take them on at once when I really need to alter my strategy to lure them out instead. Clearly a habit from DooM where as long as I move around I can survive real close encounters with the enemy. Unfortunately that almost always tends to kill me in games other than DooM.

Sometimes when playing PC shooting games (I don't get the effect with console games) I forget that not every game has auto-aim, and sometimes I even run around desperately looking for the way to go, only to realize that there were lots of very low ledges I could just have jumped over.

Doomhuntress didn't say:
Unfortunately that almost always tends to kill me is what sucks in games other than DooM.

FTFY

I walk into rooms backwards - in case a quick exit is required. Unfortunately I'm rarely quick enough to avoid being spotted by Jehovah's Witnesses and the like - though the combination of my unusual behaviour, several impaled rabbits heads in the front yard and the chainsaw that never leaves my side usually prompts them to leave in a hurry.

Sigvatr said:

I still walk diagonally in most first person shooters :(

I know what you mean. Although I generally walk forward normally during most FPSs, at times when a series of long jumps is required, I tend to straferun, even though it gives me zero benefit, to the amusement of my fellow players.

I usually assume in video games that running is the optimum velocity the player can travel, totally disregarding gimmicky shit like bunnny hopping or rocket jumping. What the fuck is up with that garbage anyway? If anyone thinks that's an important feature like reinforcing stupid shit like exploiting the games physics so that you can move faster instead of just letting the player be able to move fast to begin with is a fucking moron.

God I hate video games.

EDIT: I also forget to let go of the belief of "if it cant see me, it cant kill me" and the inability to use peek-a-boo tactics because the player moves so fucking slow.

EDIT: also I tend to look for secret areas when im low on ammo even though i usually have no luck. You get what ya get!

Sigvatr said:

I still walk diagonally in most first person shooters :(

so do i. especially when there´s a long corridor in front of me. it comes naturally. or strafejump (from quake). sadly, most modern games don´t provide a faster movement than simply pressing the "walk forward" button. since mastering a more complex way to move rewards the experienced players.

40oz said:

EDIT: I also forget to let go of the belief of "if it cant see me, it cant kill me" and the inability to use peek-a-boo tactics because the player moves so fucking slow.

and this. it stems from doom´s movement too. here you can evade threats by moving and turning at blazing speed. in modern games it takes forever just to climb some stairs, most weapons are a sort of automatic rifle, and you get inaccurate if you shoot while moving. so i tend to get killed by more cautious players who peek around corners first. movement is like wading through mud, compared to doom - even if you see it incoming, you´re simply too slow to get out of the way.

Bad habits from Doom? Almost everything there could be. If you want a more accurate moving experience in Doom to remove the habits in newer FPSes, just never run.

The largest habit is when I'm not camping with the engineer in TF2 I use the scout for the more Doom-like movement speed and the double-barred shotgun.

Torr Samaho said:

so do i. especially when there´s a long corridor in front of me. it comes naturally. or strafejump (from quake). sadly, most modern games don´t provide a faster movement than simply pressing the "walk forward" button. since mastering a more complex way to move rewards the experienced players.

One of the main reasons I can't play modern FPS's is because how slow the player's movement is.

Modern games like the (newer) CoDs and Modern Warfares rely on gameplay that encourages you to play like a pussy by slowing it all down and implementing crap that handicaps people that wanna run around and shoot enemies. Stuff like regenerating health, hitscanners, and making your gun inaccurate as fuck when your running, and in multiplayer this all encourages camping.

So trying to revisit CoD after getting sucked in to DooM was a mistake I won't be repeating. ;)

40oz said:

I usually assume in video games that running is the optimum velocity the player can travel, totally disregarding gimmicky shit like bunnny hopping or rocket jumping. What the fuck is up with that garbage anyway? If anyone thinks that's an important feature like reinforcing stupid shit like exploiting the games physics so that you can move faster instead of just letting the player be able to move fast to begin with is a fucking moron.

Yeah, like the straferunning gimmick in Doom and those WADs that require straferunning to execute jumps...

When I was a kid, I was walking in zigzag in real life because I had seen the Doom monsters move like that!

DeathevokatioN said:

Modern games like the (newer) CoDs and Modern Warfares rely on gameplay that encourages you to play like a pussy by slowing it all down and implementing crap that handicaps people that wanna run around and shoot enemies. a bit more tactically and intelligently.

Fixed that for you.

As for me, I don't really have any habits that leak over, guess I'm just a bit better at adapting to different games' styles.

Bullshit, if you consider CoD anything near tactical or realistic than honestly you have missed out on alot of 1999-2003 PC titles. *cough* Rainbow Six series before Lockdown *cough*

I am, heavily offended by your post sir.

I still expect most shooters to have full autoaim or at least a "near aim" feature, and consider freelook a gimmick that detracts from gameplay.

Xeros612 said:

lolquotes

CoD is about as realistic as a fucking Michael Bay movie.

FAMAS, how does it work?

Lately I've been playing Morrowind (because of the Infinite View mod that lets you see the whole island) and the straferunning boost applies in that game too.

Radon said:
Bullshit, if you consider CoD anything near tactical or realistic than honestly you have missed out on alot of 1999-2003 PC titles. *cough* Rainbow Six series before Lockdown *cough*

I am, heavily offended by your post sir.

Come back SWAT 4, The world needs you. =(

But yes, thanks to doom, I'm a diagonal strafing reckless twat in any even remotely action-y game.

I run as fast as I can into the outer walls of banks, hoping to grab the cash through the wall. No luck as yet.

Snakes said:

Wall-humping.

This. Probably my biggest habit in gaming. I always walk up to doors and end up jumping into them. I gotta remember Quake and Unreal don't have 'use' buttons...

That and trying to look at the map using Tab.

Trying to kill every last enemy and scout out for every last helpful item seems to follow me through every other shooter it seems.

Apparently I like to deal maximum damage and a high body count, not to mention being an exploraholic.

From Doom 3 & similar games: pressing F when playing GZDoom because of very dark rooms.