Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Best Heretic Episode?

For those of you who love and play Heretic frequently (guilty!), what's your favorite Episode?

Let's see...two was definately my least favorite of the first three (I never got to play all the way through shadows of the serpent riders, so I don't know about the last two). I guess I'd have to do it 1, 3, 2.

Episode 5 is the best, by far.

With the exception of the E5M7 and E5M8, those are some of the best maps ever made for a Doom-engined game. E5M5 and E5M6 are spectacular, and E5M4 is great for such a small map.

I havn't really played the last two episodes that much, so I'd have to go with episode 2. It had the weredragons, mace staff, and phoenix rod, not to mention the maulotaur, but it didn't have tose damned annoying serpent guys...I don't like them for some reason.

BTW did anyone notice how Heretic's E3M2 was used as inspiration for Hexen's Winnowing Hall?

Not really, but I've noticed a few Heretic and Hexen tracks reused in Hexen 2. I thought they'd be better since they were CD audio tracks, but the MIDIs kicked their ass.

Ah, yes, E1M1's music rocks. Just like E1M3, E1M9 and E2M8.

Heretic E1M9 music sux0rz. E3M8 music r0x0rz.

I liked E1M7 and E3M9.

What are you listening to it on, an AWE0.5?

I've noticed a few Heretic and Hexen tracks reused in Hexen 2. I thought they'd be better since they were CD audio tracks, but the MIDIs kicked their ass.

Yea, but it was cool how they made that one Heretic song sound Egyptian for Hexen. The original was still better.

What are you listening to it on, an AWE0.5?

Yes.

Speaking of which, I really like E2M2 and E2M1's music. And yes, E3M8's music gets you in the mood for the battle with D'Sparil. For some reason, Heretic's music is better IMO than Doom's.

For some reason, Heretic's music is better IMO than Doom's.

Heretic is better than Doom in general, single-player wise. Nothing matches Doom2 deathmatch.

Heretic is better than Doom in general, single-player wise. Nothing matches Doom2 deathmatch.

Heretic and Hexen own Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, Strife is equal with Doom 1 (which is better than Doom 2)

And you call yourselves Doomers?
Hah!

Well, keep in mind, Heretic and Hexen were made later, and therefore more advanced. Anyone could say the same thing about half-life. That it owns Doom and Doom2, etc. But it's far more advanced, so it's not fair to compare them.

Even when I compare Doom to more modern FPSs I still think that Doom ownz them.
Why?
Because Doom continues to be so damn fun to play despite its age, whereas a game like Half-life gets boring amazingly quick.

And hey, I had the shareware episode of Heretic on my computer for quite a while, but removed it because I didn't found it any fun anymore.

And you call yourselves Doomers?
Hah!

Yeap.

Heretic is pure gaming bliss. It took everything that I wanted to see when I first played Doom and added it in. An atmospheric medieval theme, an inventory, the ability to fly, the amazing Tome of Power, etc.

Funny enough considering I'm such a fan of the game, I didn't discover Heretic for a long time. I played loads of Doom and Duke Nukem 3D and didn't really get to play Heretic until about 1998 or 1999 (maybe even early 2000). I got to play PC Hexen (thoroughly) immediately after that (I had played n64 Hexen before, and trying to control it with that gamepad turned me off before I could ever see all the game had to offer).

The ability to fly took away the feel of being a human-like character, which is one of the key-aspects of an FPS imho.

The tome of power is an ok powerup, but I'm happy with the powerups in Doom - the ToP wouldn't fit very well in Doom imo.

I think the thing about Heretic which immediately turned me off was that the weapons were just Doom's weapons disguised as magic staffs.

"ooh look, an interestin' staff!" "Cool, it zaps the enemies at a fairly quick rate of fire, without inflicting much damage - just like Doom's pistol, wow"

"Ah, I got a crossbow with funky green arrows - ooh look, it splits into three arrows and causes quite a punch up close. It kinda reminds me of a Doom weapon - now which one one would that be, hmmmmmmmmmm"

LAME!

Even when I compare Doom to more modern FPSs I still think that Doom ownz them.
Why?
Because Doom continues to be so damn fun to play despite its age, whereas a game like Half-life gets boring amazingly quick.

And hey, I had the shareware episode of Heretic on my computer for quite a while, but removed it because I didn't found it any fun anymore.

HALF-LIFE IS BORING AND IT SUCKS!

Most other modern FPSs get boring after a while - I was only using HL as an example.

HALF-LIFE IS BORING AND IT SUCKS!

SOMEONE ELSE SEES THE LIGHT!!!