Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

OK, this has got to stop!

I'm sorry, but this sucks shit. I wish Scuba Steve never entered Doomworld, let alone stuck around nominating crappy zdoom wads every year including his own. I'm happy this stupid overrated wanker doesn't make wads for DooM anymore. Now he just has to stop writing the Cacowards.

This is from a review in idgames about Action Doom. You know, for all the work I do to keep Doom alive and fun, I don't need people giving me shit and denigrating my work. If this is how people feel I should just leave everyone to write their own damn Cacowards!

I'm very sorry to hear about that. It's such a shame that after all the work you put in, not everyone loves the product. The person who wrote this is obviously jealous and probably has a small penis too. To see this happen is such a shock and an eye-opener, since anonymous reviews are highly legitimate and well respected. For a split second I almost thought it did suck shit, but then I remembered that the person who wrote this is wrong because he is a little bitch. I hope that one day you will get past this roadblock. Take a break, take some time to recover. It's not every project where an anonymous person says something so mean.

Action Doom 2 on the other hand...

If only people just liked everything, we'd be truly elevated to the status of Gods and there would be peace on Earth!!

I'm personally impressed with the amount of time and effort that must go into writing the annual Cacowards. It's a terrific read and I really wouldn't know where to begin sampling PWADs if not for the articles in it.
Please don't lose heart because of one (or more than one) quack and his unsatiable need to troll randomly all over the interwebz.
Action Doom is still one of my favorite TCs (despite the "reality mode" script that I can't find a way to hack around), but I admit that it's not for everybody. Most people today just aren't familiar with that style of gameplay.
The community still needs people like you who can develop software of such a quality. With proprietary software developers working a 9 to 5 timetable towards a set deadline, video game releases just can't have the same standards of quality as the TCs and mods that people like you produce. You should be proud that you're a part of modern history ... and in a way you're a personal hero of mine.

/Edit: Wait ... you're being facetious? (Quick wiktionary hit to confirm...) My bad ... I'm new.

Just like the creators of asininely huge video game series keep cashing in on the last game by making averybody buy the latest game that's just negligibly different than the last one or is such a crock of shit compared to, you have played on the fanfappery of the community to give five stars for such a piece of shit followup to something actually good. I hope AD3 never gets done.

Revenant said:

Just like the creators of asininely huge video game series keep cashing in on the last game by making averybody buy the latest game that's just negligibly different than the last one or is such a crock of shit compared to, you have played on the fanfappery of the community to give five stars for such a piece of shit followup to something actually good. I hope AD3 never gets done.

Shut the fuck up you faggot AD was the best wad ever (except for spacedm5) and I'd like to see you make a better contra styled single player wad.

Yeah, the same clown posts the same kind of thing on a lot of ZDoom WADs. It might be different people but every time I see a comment along that line it's in the exact same style. He must be excited that you've given him a thread now

Well I for one am disgusted by all the negative reviews this is getting in the "Levels" section of the website. Considering that this monumental undertaking is being made available to everyone free of charge, seeing that it must have taken many people YEARS of their lives to complete, and with the knowledge that the creators did everything in their power to ensure that the final release was polished and fun as possible, including the posting of 2 release candidates, how the hell are people flaming this!!!

Anyone that's played my weak excuses for levels (I can probably count these people with one hand :0) knows that I gravitate to old-school wads generally speaking. But come on people, innovation is good, and it has a place in this community. I'm currently on my second playthrough of Stronghold uh whatever this is and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I'm glad that there are people like Tormentor667 errrmm Scuba Steve who offer up stuff like this in addition to a website full of level-making resources and tips.

In summary, I'm by no means claiming that this is the best thing ever, nor do I think that every submission to /idgames should be uber-detailed a-la GothicDM, but I just feel that many people are behaving rather childishly when they rate it 0/5.

Do you write reviews of Doom WADs? If not, then you have no right to criticize other peoples' reviews!

I mean, that guy probably spent years of his life writing that review -- which he made available for free, I might add -- and if you can't even offer constructive criticism then you should just shut up and delete it off your hard drive.

Scuba Steve said:

Just to be clear, we all realize I'm being facetious, right?

BULLSHIT MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!

40oz said:

But come on people, innovation is good, and it has a place in this community

When you "innovate" too much, you risk ending up with a completely different game, and it would be arrogant to expect people not to judge it accordingly.

Put a "Doom" label on a game with arcade mechanics and this is what happens.

Kaiser said:

CIF5: Scuba's Revenge

This raises a good point. I haven't played a single wad this year worthy of the mockaward. Is the Jokewad genre dead!?

Porsche Monty said:

Put a "Doom" label on a game with arcade mechanics and this is what happens.

No, no no. you get this.

But to humor your point even more... isn't doom LIKE an arcade game? go into the automap and iddt twice and tell me that isn't something like Robotron 2084. Even one of the developers of Bioshock formed that same opinion.

Scuba Steve said:

This raises a good point. I haven't played a single wad this year worthy of the mockaward. Is the Jokewad genre dead!?

Does anybody remember this thing?

Reviewing wads does not involve actually playing them. Ive released two wads where some reviews were obviously made by trolls or people who never played it. One serious wad got voted down, one terrible wad was voted up due to people assuming it was another wad.

So the only way to get a serious review and vote count on a map is to release it anonymously.

/me waits for all the downvotes on my wads due this post.

Csonicgo said:

No, no no. you get this.

But to humor your point even more... isn't doom LIKE an arcade game? go into the automap and iddt twice and tell me that isn't something like Robotron 2084. Even one of the developers of Bioshock formed that same opinion.

Looks nothing like it, plays nothing like it, but whatever makes you happy.

Porsche Monty said:

Looks nothing like it, plays nothing like it, but whatever makes you happy.

Wrong.

When you play Doom today, it doesn’t feel much like you’re controlling a human or moving through real spaces. Try this though: press the TAB key, type IDDT twice and pretend you’re playing Geometry Wars, and the moving triangles are your enemies. This is what Doom’s designers were working from in 1993 – back then, the idea of a first person shooter was barely established, and their closest models for many mechanics were from 2D shooters like Robotron, Berserk and Tempest. This approach echoes throughout Doom’s design. The notion of realism in FPS design wouldn’t appear for another few years, and many decisions were made simply on the basis of being good for abstract shooter gameplay.

Partly thanks to this, many parts of Doom’s “game feel” still compare favorably with modern twitch games. Enemy speeds and patterns are very finely tuned, weapon design is strongly orthogonal, player movement has a nice friction to it and level design elucidates all of this. Quake 3 is still considered the pinnacle of arcadey FPS movement and feel, and that lineage starts with Doom – some of the code is even similar.

It's interesting how people's views differ. Wads that are in the Cacowards get a lot of good and bad reviews. I think it may be because a wad gets a lot of attention, and maybe wins a Cacoward, people expect more and are much more critical. The insults are irritating, but I guess it's mostly just people trolling.

I dunno. I think you can look at any wad in the Cacowards and acknowledge that is is a creative or impressive work. People debate it, but I think we can agree that a terrible wad has never been chosen... merely projects some people don't enjoy.

Scuba Steve said:

STRINGHOLD

Just a mock .WAD! made Ismaele
(including two links to this forum for the real story)

"take your shitwad out the archive"
"God I Hate you..."

In voting it is more popular at the moment then

STRONGHOLD