Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Katamori

1024-style discussion thread

1024-style maps are designed so that the playing area fits entirely within a 1024×1024-sized area. Authors were allowed to define sectors outside of this area for the purposes of gameplay, detail and scenery, as long as they are not reachable.

I'm sure, you know the most popular 1024-WADs: Congestion 1024, Claustrophobia 1024 and Claustrophobia 1024 2. However, some mappers made single levels.
(e.g. 2 levels from Paul Corfiatis:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14355
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14707)

I don't know, why, but I really love this style. Maybe bacuase Clau1024 and 1024-2 was brilliant...

And what's your opinion? Do you like these maps?

Most 1024 maps I've seen feel like normal maps roughly resized, resulting in cramped gameplay, and most of these maps are also of the "detail over gameplay" kind, which I don't enjoy too much.

Now, I don't think it's a failure of the format itself, as I've also played good, fun 1024 maps. I do think the format tends to be harder to use, since we have so many examples of bad 1024 maps (by my own subjective standards, admittedly), and I don't really see any benefit resulting from these restrictions for the end-user.

I agree with Phml (but we know that from the last thread about what you think of compressed mapping, a few weeks ago)

I have enjoyed a few 1024 maps: more or less exactly those in which the 1024 square in which the player can move is not broken up into different rooms and corridors. For instance map07 of the original Congestion, which was basically an exercise in aggressive circlestrafing, I thought was fun enough to play 50 times in a row to make a demo.